Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Not at all what I expected

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Reth, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Reth

Reth IncGamers Member

Not at all what I expected

I was expecting diablo 3 to be more dark and from a third person point of view in a huge world. I could be wrong but from the surface this looks like wow in diablo perspective.

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Re: Not at all what I expected

1. It is pretty dark.
    2. It is a third person perspective.
    3. You have no way of knowing how big the world is yet.

3. Hello Jim

Hello Jim IncGamers Member

It remainds me much more of God of War or Lord of the Rings games.
    But I really can't tell until I play.
    It's new, yes, it's even not so Diabloic, but it just looks awesome

4. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

Everytime a new and exciting game is announced the crowds gather to play the "How I would have done it" game. Getting obnoxious and irritated in general when others come to do the same and don't come up with the same.

Well my 2.5 cents (yes, my opinion is more important cause it's MY game); I'm very glad to see that Diablo III is infact Diablo III.

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

diablo will never belong in a 3rd person perspective

the movement and multi target combat of diablo does lend itself well to having to spin your directional keys constantly to see your targets, this is the problem you would have in the 3rd person mode

6. Reth

Reth IncGamers Member

I know I was hoping for a whole new take on diablo, you know like hellgate london but better. but maybe this will be pretty fun. But it does look just like titans quest.

7. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

For me I thought it looked a whole lot like D2. Just all that barb jumping and zombies. I think there will be ups and downs for sure. For instance, when i saw the barb, I thought "Oh no, another 10 more years of watching that same guy jump like Super Mario". Then again, we didn't get to see a full fleged mage character so we're not getting the whole picture, needless to say.
    Overall, I'm very impressed with everything, except I too was hoping for more originality. Just my preference, but I wanted to see no D2 heros recycled since we played the hell out of them already. Or, maybe the zombies could all be "higher ups" wtih standard issue armor instead of being easy naked meat to kill. You know, advancements, not just D2 stuff.

Omikron8, I'm totally glad it's not 3d for the same reason: I don't want 100 accumulated hours of hitting a button to turn around just to see stuff. So I'm pretty pleased with the view and the gamepaly, animation, etc.

8. billobob

billobob IncGamers Member

people are comparing d3 to WoW and other games just because it's in 3d... of course they can't preserve the exact same look when they jump to better graphics. doesn't mean the gameplay isn't better

9. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

Err...it is in 3rd person perspective, just like every other Diablo game ever.

Looks like Diablo to me and I'm real excited. :D

10. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

There's a huge difference between a 3rd-person view (a-la WoW) and isomeric/top-down view a-la Dungeon Siege/Diablo 2/etc.

11. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Looks great to me. I couldn't be more happy with this announcement. They didn't go MMO and they didn't go first person or anything too crazy. They kept the same Diablo feel and just enhanced it. I'm super impressed. Blizzard does it again!

12. Es Mors

Es Mors IncGamers Member

But it's still technicaly 3rd-person, so saying it's not is just wrong. Or am I totaly misunderstanding here?

13. PoiZonCraZy

PoiZonCraZy IncGamers Member

i love it. this game is gonna be amazing.

14. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

It might be an isometric view...but it's still 3rd person. (i.e:from the perspective of someone watching the action)

15. Drandimere

Drandimere IncGamers Member

I agree, people need to let the development process run it's course and then evaluate the final product. We've seen a glimpse of two classes and two locations and people are already jumping to conclusions, making broad-brush-stroke evaluations and generally claiming that the "sky is falling".

D3 isn't going to be D2, just as D2 wasn't D1.

I want to make a few comments about the comparisons with other 3-D games. First, remember that Blizzard took some heat when D2 released because it wasn't 3-D. The Blizzard development cycle tends to be so long that by the time they actually release a product, the technology can be a bit outdated. By the time D2 released, 3-D games were out, but it was too late to go back and re-do everything in 3-D. Second, 3-D games have a tendency to have a certain feel because of the 3-D characteristics - so, I wouldn't expect D3 in 3-D to be radically different than other fantasy based 3-D games. Lastly, the Diablo franchise has always been about the game play and not the "look". Although Blizzard wants the game to look sweet, it takes a back-seat to creating addictive game-play. Substance over style has worked for them pretty well so far.

16. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Why wait with criticism until it is too late to do anything about it? That doesn’t make sense.

Of course the criticism at this point in time is going to be broad-brush-stroke. Let people speak out while the information comes out. When more information becomes available the criticism will be more directed at specifics.
    At this point in the they can already poll to see if they got the feel of the product right. For some it is already spot on and for some it is not. When more information becomes available Blizz can see how the opinions shift.

The earlier people start with criticism the easier it will be to change something if it needs to change. You can more easily follow trends and see if something needs to be adjusted.

17. Friends Call Me Butch

Friends Call Me Butch IncGamers Member

I agree. Eight years is really just a blink of the eye in the grand scheme. Maybe by 2015 we'll have a clearer picture of how the game is progressing.

18. greenwizard

greenwizard IncGamers Member

Who ever said that 3d is better? Don't you remember playing slide-scroller games on the NES... and then comparing them to something like Hellgate London

19. Meenah

Meenah IncGamers Member

3rd person means you are outside of the character.

So this is 3rd person, but not "classic" 3rd person. It is, as said, isometric/top-down 3rd person.

20. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I think we should criticise it to the bitter end. Isn't that what this whole D3 forum is about? It would be pretty quiet around here if everyone just patiently waited for the release date.