Not Another Video Card Thread

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
Not Another Video Card Thread

Ok so check it out.

P3 800 mhz :lol:
385 ram
Windows 98 SE

The card my computer came with was a TNT2. I bought a geforce3 Ti-500 a couple years ago, and I'm about to switch it out with my new geforce FX 5200. I don't really remember what I did to change it out the first time, but what do I have to do about the drivers? Should I just put in the 5200 and install the new driver, or do I have to delete the ti500 driver first? My first guess would be that it automatically overrides the old one, but how am I going to be sure that my fx won't still be trying to run on the gf3?

Also, how do I check the watts of my power supply? It says required is 250. If I am running just that should I upgrade for better performance or does it really make a difference?

250W is not a high requirement. When you open the case, the power supply is at the top in the rear, and should be clearly marked.

As for the drivers, keep a 20# sledge handy, just in case. :surprise:

NB :)

Pidder

Diabloii.Net Member
Fx5200 is slower than a ti500.

edit: I hope you're changing because the ti500 broke down or something, otherwise, someone ripped you off.

nnndave

Diabloii.Net Member
Pidder said:
Fx5200 is slower than a ti500.

edit: I hope you're changing because the ti500 broke down or something, otherwise, someone ripped you off.
the 5200 was 70 bucks, and when i got the ti500 it was $300. It has been running really screwy lately, games always freeze. Plus the ti500 is a 64mb, and 5200 is 128mb.

How is the ti-500 better than the 5200?

CaptJoe213

Diabloii.Net Member
I myself upgraded to a 5200 fx agp 256 mb card last night from a Geforce 2 Mx 200. I'm running a newer rig, with winME as primary OS. It says to uninstall the drivers for the old one first, so I did. I then installed the card, and the driver disk, and it all went smooth as butter for me. I was running the newest driver for the MX 200, I dont know if that makes a difference, but it was a very quick affair, and worked like a charm for me. I'd suggest doin as the instructions say, and hopefully your switch will go as smoothly as mine did last night.

Pidder

Diabloii.Net Member
nnndave said:
the 5200 was 70 bucks, and when i got the ti500 it was $300. It has been running really screwy lately, games always freeze. Plus the ti500 is a 64mb, and 5200 is 128mb.

How is the ti-500 better than the 5200?
It's quite simply slower. Not by much though and the performance will probabaly feel equal to the ti500.