Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Not Another Video Card Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nnndave, Feb 3, 2004.

1. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Not Another Video Card Thread

Ok so check it out.

P3 800 mhz :lol:
    385 ram
    Windows 98 SE

The card my computer came with was a TNT2. I bought a geforce3 Ti-500 a couple years ago, and I'm about to switch it out with my new geforce FX 5200. I don't really remember what I did to change it out the first time, but what do I have to do about the drivers? Should I just put in the 5200 and install the new driver, or do I have to delete the ti500 driver first? My first guess would be that it automatically overrides the old one, but how am I going to be sure that my fx won't still be trying to run on the gf3?

Also, how do I check the watts of my power supply? It says required is 250. If I am running just that should I upgrade for better performance or does it really make a difference?

2. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

250W is not a high requirement. When you open the case, the power supply is at the top in the rear, and should be clearly marked.

As for the drivers, keep a 20# sledge handy, just in case. :surprise:

NB :)

3. Pidder

Pidder IncGamers Member

Fx5200 is slower than a ti500.

edit: I hope you're changing because the ti500 broke down or something, otherwise, someone ripped you off.

4. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

the 5200 was 70 bucks, and when i got the ti500 it was $300. It has been running really screwy lately, games always freeze. Plus the ti500 is a 64mb, and 5200 is 128mb.

How is the ti-500 better than the 5200?

5. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

I myself upgraded to a 5200 fx agp 256 mb card last night from a Geforce 2 Mx 200. I'm running a newer rig, with winME as primary OS. It says to uninstall the drivers for the old one first, so I did. I then installed the card, and the driver disk, and it all went smooth as butter for me. I was running the newest driver for the MX 200, I dont know if that makes a difference, but it was a very quick affair, and worked like a charm for me. I'd suggest doin as the instructions say, and hopefully your switch will go as smoothly as mine did last night.

6. Pidder

Pidder IncGamers Member

It's quite simply slower. Not by much though and the performance will probabaly feel equal to the ti500.