Nostalgy revisit - Basics

LarryPaul

Diabloii.Net Member
Nostalgy revisit - Basics

I've been on a 4year break from d2 LOD and was just wondering about a few things before i start nostalgy-gaming again:
1) How corrupt is d2? Can i at all avoid cheaters/hackers? (I never traded stuff before, because of the huge amount of cheats)
2) I've heard that trading on Ladder is different? how?
3) There seems to be a battle between Bliz-Sorc and Meteorb-Sorc when it comes to the start MF-char. What hero is to prefer, and could you give links to valid guides? (I can only find guides to 1.10).
4) And finally: Is there such things as a "trust" between diabloii members? I mean, could I ask for help in here, or do diabloii members have certain games open 24/7?

thank you for taking your time to answer these questions.
 

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome back,

1. If you never trade and have a good account password, I think, you can avoid nearly every cheat/ hack

2. Simply the chance to get a dupe is lower. Currency on ladder are ist runes on non ladder soj's. For beginner ladder is a lot easyer to become wealthy.

3. A Frozen Orb sorc is a very good start. You will have high dmg early and later some skillpoints left for a second element which realy help on hell difficulty.

4. There are 1000 of km's between the forum members, so be carefull, even if I think it's one of the trustwothiest places on internet
For help try the Player Matchup forum.
 

LarryPaul

Diabloii.Net Member
So dupes or fake-items are very rare on Ladder? I used to never trade because of the enormous amount of cheaters, but as a beginner, trading is very efficient to raise quickly. I would very much like to trade, but not if Ladder is corrupt!

Btw, why isn't it Frozen Orb/FireWall, instead of meteor? Firewall has a lower cast-time and does enormous DMG WITHOUT having to invest in synergy-spells! please explain this.

Helpful links will be appreciated.

edit: Also, i noticed that almost every player in here is playing on USEAST server. Since i am european, would i get lags playing on USEAST? I got a 2mb connection and a pretty fast pc...
 

TheBhoy

Diabloii.Net Member
LarryPaul said:
So dupes or fake-items are very rare on Ladder? I used to never trade because of the enormous amount of cheaters, but as a beginner, trading is very efficient to raise quickly. I would very much like to trade, but not if Ladder is corrupt!

Btw, why isn't it Frozen Orb/FireWall, instead of meteor? Firewall has a lower cast-time and does enormous DMG WITHOUT having to invest in synergy-spells! please explain this.

Helpful links will be appreciated.

edit: Also, i noticed that almost every player in here is playing on USEAST server. Since i am european, would i get lags playing on USEAST? I got a 2mb connection and a pretty fast pc...
Not everyone is on USe and even the ones that are complain about endless lags.

Europe is OK for trades and help.

As for the links for builds, use the 1.10 guides. They are still relevant.

BTW - Welcome to the forum

Might see you on EuSCL

@ thebhoy:jig:
 

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
fire mastery you can see as a synergie to firewall. FO/FW is not a bad choice. Whit runeword leave in a +3 firewall staff you can get +8 to firewall. Leave is relatively cheap. Meteor is better in terms of dealing dmg but I not really like meteor in combination with FO.

You will have a better ping playing on Europe realms which for PvP or HC is very important. And afaik in Europe the chance to get legit items is a lot better. You only need to look at rune values.
In us realms mal rune can be more worth than a highrune. Us realms a more laggy I heard often.

This site is also the home of a lot of Europe-realms player, me including.

In a new ladder there are no dupes but after a year it's different.
Most highrunes seems to be duped.
Items worth less than lem has a very small chance to be dupes.
 

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
LarryPaul said:
Btw, why isn't it Frozen Orb/FireWall, instead of meteor? Firewall has a lower cast-time and does enormous DMG WITHOUT having to invest in synergy-spells! please explain this.
Why using firewall when you can invest into fireball and meteor which synergize each other ? Meteorb sorc is a misleading name. She will use fireballs instead of meteors most of the time, except in places where monsters with lots of life are fixed in a place (g.e. Meph when doing the moat trick).
 

LarryPaul

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
Why using firewall when you can invest into fireball and meteor which synergize each other ? Meteorb sorc is a misleading name. She will use fireballs instead of meteors most of the time, except in places where monsters with lots of life are fixed in a place (g.e. Meph when doing the moat trick).
Well, i figured, instead of having to boost fireball, meteor, AND firemastery, i could get away with only maxin' 2 spells, firewall and firemastery, leaving more skillpoints in FO and Cold mastery (and other useful spells like teleport, and sheild). Basicly, i just can't see why i should use 20 skillpoints to get meteorb/fireball, when i can get firewall for 2/3 the "price".
 

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Firewell is useful if the monsters are standing still, as the walls stack over each other, but hitting something which is moving is a pain, in particular cold immunes in combination with a merc who is too weak to fix them in a place for a longer time.
 

LarryPaul

Diabloii.Net Member
ahh, but can't that be fixed by doing a firewall in the monster-line and then teleport back and forth everytime the monster(s) closes in on you?
 

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
in an open area firewall is a bit tricky to kill with. Inside the small dungens it's very powerfull. For areas like arcane sanctuary firewall is one of the best spells imo. The strtegy is as you mentioned to cast them in line to there way, and they will die before reching you, if not tele one step back and do the same again
 

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
LarryPaul said:
ahh, but can't that be fixed by doing a firewall in the monster-line and then teleport back and forth everytime the monster(s) closes in on you?
You can also wait until the monster is on the firewall and then you run or teleport to a point, so the monster walks along the firewall, but that's what I meant with "painful" :azn: I prefer a few well-placed fireballs.

BTW, what do you intend to do with the saved 20 skill points (in contrast to fireball+meteor) ? IMO it's not worth spending them on FO synergies and investing into lightning skills is a complete waste (except for 1 point in teleport, static and perhaps energy shield for a cold/fire sorc), as they are normally only good if synergized massively and together with lightning mastery..
 

LarryPaul

Diabloii.Net Member
krischan said:
BTW, what do you intend to do with the saved 20 skill points (in contrast to fireball+meteor) ? IMO it's not worth spending them on FO synergies and investing into lightning skills is a complete waste (except for 1 point in teleport, static and perhaps energy shield for a cold/fire sorc), as they are normally only good if synergized massively and together with lightning mastery..
Actually I was thinking about maxin' Thunder Storm because of it's passive dmg and the fact that I then have something from each element, making me more of a versatile killer.
PS:ThunderStorm is thought to be effective against 1v1, not massing cow-runs...
 

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
thunder storm is a one point wonder for lightning sorcs but not more, imo.

For your first character lvl 85 is quite high, that means you can spend about 97 points.
Untwinked I guess you need to spend about 55 skill points into cold tree including a cold armor.

if you have the resourses and the knowledge it's not a problem to bring up a char to lvl 85 in half a day, so try out which skill is the one you prefer and don't aim for the perfect build, it wont be your last char.

Guides are a very good source of information, but it seems to me like you know enough about the game to decide on your own what you need/want.

@krischan: where is the challenge if not making your own:wink3:
 

LarryPaul

Diabloii.Net Member
so Thunderstorm is off...
ye, maxin out FO/firewall (it owns meph btw) and warmth/coldmastery takes plenty of points for a MF char.

Doing a lvl 85 in half a day... i REALLY hope it's just an expression!
And I might be a bit rusty, but 4 years ago i kicked ***

btw, are there a link to alvl for diff acts? I'm 24 in nm act1 and not really getting a lot of xp!
 
Top