Northern Cali: Feel the quake? Tsunami!

essojay

Diabloii.Net Member
omg I live in Vancouver and all these earthquakes are scaring me. Supposedly we're due for a really big one.

Damotta

Diabloii.Net Member
Meh, it was only near the bay area, which by the way, is more like central California than northern Cali although people commonly mistakenly call it northen. Anyway, they get these type of earthquakes pretty commonly. Nothing to worry about.

essojay said:
omg I live in Vancouver and all these earthquakes are scaring me. Supposedly we're due for a really big one.
Are they really supposed to come as far north as Vancouver? :eek:

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Damotta said:
Meh, it was only near the bay area, which by the way, is more like central California than northern Cali although people commonly mistakenly call it northen. Anyway, they get these type of earthquakes pretty commonly. Nothing to worry about.
The center of the state is somewhere between Merced and Fresno, which puts San Fran in the northern half of the state. Besides everyone says "northern CA" to mean everything that isn't part of "southern CA," meaning the stinking pit of LA and its surroundings.

Also, the quake was lots farther north. :p

7.0 isn't too common . . . I was in the 1989 quake, which was a bit bigger than that, and it made me jump. I've been in plenty of smaller shakes in Japan but that one made me jump out of bed and into a doorframe ASAP.

YogiRat

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah you are right Durf. The epicenter was way north of the Bay. I felt nothing here in the central valley northwest of Sacramento. I'll bet that volcano in Mexico goes off next. Things just happen that way, and I blame you .. :p

Tor

Diabloii.Net Member
i didnt feel anything i live in San Mateo

maybe i did..i could haev been sleeping or gaming...

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Raistlin Majere said:
Famous last words.

Tennessee is due for one as well, we have been having minor ones lately.

Ya several people I know said they felt the one last week. I didn't. I think it was a 4.3 in some areas right?

Anakha1

Banned
I live on the Canadian Shield - a big honkin' slab of rock... I've never felt an earthquake. What do they feel like?

skihard

Banned
I lived in Monterey for 2 1/2 years and hoped beyond hope that there would be a decent sized quake because being from Michigan that isn't something you get to feel. Then one day about 2 years into my 2 1/2 it happened, a 6.5. The bad part is that I was on a training mission flying infantry guys on a live fire exercise so I of course didn’t feel it and had no idea it happen until about 50 minutes after when we got back to base and people were talking about it. I was and am still pissed about that because to this day I’ve still never felt a quake.

Kawaii said:
Note the complete and utter lack of 'quakes in Sweden. Hooray for seismic stability!
Yea, us western and norhern europeans dont have to worry about anything like this. instead of massive quakes, hurricanes and tsunami's, we have rain. lots of rain. and clouds.

Not to stir up the conspiracy theories, but keep in mind that all of two days ago a 7.8 (!!) hit in northern Chile. A 5.5 hit near where Ash lives in Cali on Sunday. I believe these are all along the same series of faults. Sounds to me like somethin's movin.

DrunkCajun said:
Not to stir up the conspiracy theories, but keep in mind that all of two days ago a 7.8 (!!) hit in northern Chile. A 5.5 hit near where Ash lives in Cali on Sunday. I believe these are all along the same series of faults. Sounds to me like somethin's movin.
Looking at this site, it seems they are not connected, unless the pacific plate is not only rubbing up close with the NA plate, but also pushing the nazca plate towards SA plate, which would have unlikely been the cause of a 7.8 quake. so im saying the 2 are unrelated.

Fallen_62

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
Talk to me about this on... the day after tomorrow...

KnightFall
Dun dun dun...

I was hoping that, when I was in LA, there would be a little quake, just so I could see that they were all about, but there wasnt :( I feel kinda disappointed, like skihard... cept he was there a long time, where i was there for less than a week :p

farting bob said:
Looking at this site, it seems they are not connected, unless the pacific plate is not only rubbing up close with the NA plate, but also pushing the nazca plate towards SA plate, which would have unlikely been the cause of a 7.8 quake. so im saying the 2 are unrelated.
You're forgetting a couple big ones in the Pacific archipelagos over the last few days. Looks like quite a few have happened over the last week in the ring of fire, actually. That earthquake map I've linked below pretty much outlines the entire Pacific plate with temblors, so in fact I think that the Pacific plate may in fact be both rubbing the NA plate and the Nazca plate.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/

Hmm, you could be right. the ring of fire shows alot of quakes this week, although most are below 2.5, but then could be just the start of some uberquake measuring 13 on the richter scale that ripes the whole whole into 2.