Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Normal Magic Finding Runs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by XaviarGangrel, Feb 12, 2004.

1. XaviarGangrel

XaviarGangrel IncGamers Member

Normal Magic Finding Runs

Although not normal as in "the kind everyone does".. Normal as in, not Nightmare or Hell.... is there anywhere in Normal diff that would be good to run for fairly low level Sets and Uniques?

I'm thinking The Pit, Meph and some of the Act 5 areas, surely if their good in Nightmare and Hell, they'll be cool in Normal?

Or are there other places that might be useful?

I'm trying to pick up some low level stuff, as well as find some stuff that I can chuck in the giveaway thread, to make myself feel less of a leecher. :lol:

2. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

well i should forget the pit in normal, thats useless... i would suggest rakanishu, andariel mephisto and baal...with a good map those are easy to reach and in normal quick to kill... i got alot of good stuff from rakanishu and i love that sound so thatswhy he's in that list ^^
    Andariel drops jewelry a little better then mephi and bal who in their turn drop more unique's and sets.. i would pick mephi as my #1, cause easy to reach, quick to kill, good droprate

good luck on your mf runs :thumbsup:

3. agrégatif

agrégatif IncGamers Member

I would add the council in travincal that I used to run on b.net. Some also say that Diablo in normal is the creature who drops SoJ the most frequently.

4. DVAlan

DVAlan IncGamers Member

I would also add Bone ash--superuniqe that's in the cathedral, a few screens away from the inner cloister wp.

5. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

I have my 73 lvl MA assy running normal Baal alot. with only 270% MF, and another 168% on her rogue, it's easy to go /players 8, let the rogue (and shadow) do all the killing, get lots of drops and frequently pick up a unique or set item even before reaching the throne room (although I don't really need another Bladebone or Steelgoad). i drop to /player 1 for Baal (and kill the shadow as I want to assure the rogue gets the kill shot) On a good run Baal drops 2 unique/set items and some rares occasionally one will be exceptional but not often.

6. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

i´d go for baal

7. Orlith

Orlith IncGamers Member

ditto.

I need a pair of Chance Guards, I think I'm gonna run Baal in Norm for some low lvl uniques.

8. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

I think council/mephisto will give the best drop in the minimum of time with a good map for mephisto.

9. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Generally good advice here. The Pit (and Pindle for that matter) are good in Hell only because they drop the very top TC often, which no act bosses can do (even Baal). They are not good sources of items per se, so in normal or NM there is no reason to do them. You are best off killing act bosses because they drop such a lot of items, and at such good quality. You can probably run Mephisto faster than the others, so he is the most efficient.

Act 1 superuniques are good for getting the hard-to-find TC3 items, which a lot of people find missing from their collections when they are nearly complete, but if you are just looking for gear to play with, Meph and Baal are your friends.

10. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

wouldn't hurt to do pit, even though monster tc lvl is low, i have found most of my normal stuff there. also as every one else said andy, meph, baal are the best..

11. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Halls of Vaught deserve mention because it's sheer density of bosses, champions, containers and of course Nihlathak himself. If you are not a skelliemancer it might make sense to activate the Halls of Pain Waypoint in Normal and Nightmare.

And Shenk/Eldritch are still extremely convenient.

I also like the guarded stash in Glacial Trail.

12. OpethAZ

OpethAZ IncGamers Member

I have gotten two pairs of Chance Guards off of Meph in my last 10 or so runs... so I would say try him... he drops a lot of set stuff for me, which helps fill out the gear pile.

13. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

If you have a good map, a Blaze Sorceress could run Duriel quite efficiently. I don´t know how his drop chances are, but it would be pretty cool.

14. Temporary Insanity

Temporary Insanity IncGamers Member

I think nightmare Andariel drops SoJs more frequently... plus she'd be faster to run in single player if you have a high enough level character. Andariel is much more likely to drop rings, after all.

Seeing as my first two uniques were gotten off Coldcrow, I think there might be something to running her. Possibly Blood Raven, Bishiboshi, and Treefist as well. I had a map that had the cave right near the waypoint, the cairn stones right near the waypoint, and the tree right near the waypoint. Rakanishu and Treefist never dropped anything good, though, and Griswold didn't even drop a rare...

Maybe I should go back and run Coldcrow a couple of times for gulls... got 2 rare daggers off of her.

15. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

Yep, a few things come together to make Nightmare Andariel the best SoJ-dropper. Andy and Duriel have the best chance of dropping from the "Good" TC that includes rings, amulets, gems, runes, charms and jewels, even without the bug that causes them to always drop a quest drop. With that, they're way ahead of everyone else. On top of that, NM Andy is level 49, which means she can drop a SoJ but no higher unique ring (at level 53, Dwarf Star and Ravenfrost become available, knocking the SoJ odds down from 1/31 to 1/51, ouch!)

And, with Andy's "always quest drop" bug, she has the best odds of dropping a unique or set item of any monster in the game: roughly 35x that of a normal monster! So NM Andy gives a good shot as some nice exceptional uniques, e.g. Meat Scraper, Headstriker, Shaftstop, Tiamat's, Hone Sundan, Razortail, Moser's..

So that's something to keep in mind for lower level character who want to get into some serious MF'ing but aren't really up to NM Meph runs. A little off-topic for this thread about Normal MF runs, though, I'm afraid. :) Well, Normal Andy can drop such treats as the Gull, Biggin's Bonnet, Nagelrings, Pelta Lunata.. good stuff for LLD'ers?