Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Normal attack no mastery question

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by GargonCerlan, Jun 3, 2005.

1. GargonCerlan

GargonCerlan IncGamers Member

Normal attack no mastery question

Which would illicit more damage on paper? an EBOTD CB 2 handed, or an ebotd zerker with phoenix shield? (I'm using two different types here, because I'd tend to believe that 2 handed damage would be more, such as using botd cb with and without phoenix, but since one hand botd cb does less than zerker, used the highest possible weapon dmg assuming same % ED on both weapon types)

I still dont really understand the whole mathematical formula behind damage, so if any knows off hand, or can do the math for me, please let me know.

to make things easier, assume there is a 415% EBOTD CB, 415% EBOTD Zerker, and 400% Phoenix shield. Also, since I don't know how to use the formula, let me know if using fortitude also makes a difference, or if the distance between damages of CB vs. Zerker would essentially remain the same, just adjusted by 300% more.

P.S. Sorry for the continued rambling and unconnected thought. I cant seem to put to the forum what i have in my head.

Cheers :drink:

GargonCerlan

2. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

In reality, the best damage would actually be a BotD zerker in one hand with another weapon in the off-hand, namely beast. Phoenix is a nice shield and all, just not as useful as it seems :(

-Hal

3. GargonCerlan

ok, i assume paired with a might merc with pride as well would provide the most damage... I was considering eliminating the act 2 merc altogether to go with a faith act 1 rogue instead, since pride does not enhance the damage at all of the weapon itself, and on other chars I find that they die rather quickly. I assume a lvl 15 fanatacism would pan out a bit better, and she wouldn't die as quickly as she does not necessarily throw herself into the fray so to speak.

4. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm i agree with Hal - Phoenix is a nice shield but it has sucky block with no dr and i'd rather ditch it for another weapon for barbs hehe. Pallies have it better as sacred targes have 60% block and they have holyshield skill while barbs have to use guardian angel, twitch or safety ammys to increase block :(

5. GargonCerlan

Ok but how does having a second weapon improve block or pdr? Like I said, this is pretty much so I can figure out a new build I'm working on, but I just wanted to know which offers more damage on paper without masteries, charms, skills, or any outside dmg modifiers (other than a phoenix shield paired with a one hander solely for the purpose of enhanced dmg to make up for the one hand weapon as opposed to a 2-hander) The way i see it, theoreticaly speaking, a shield with a horrible block rate of 5% has a better chance to block than using a second weapon in the other hand during a normal attack. If using ww, frenzy, or shifted as either wolf or bear, i can understand the need for the IAS/dmg increase of beast, but wouldn't a lvl 15 fanat help out a lot more than a lvl 9? The other bonuses of phoenix aren't too shabby either considering it allows for a chance to block (no matter how bad it really is) redemption aura (relieving some of the need for leech) Decent fire damage from chance to cast firestorm to at least help with phys immunes. Beast only seems to offer the str bonus and the lvl 9 fanat, since chances are I'd be attacking with the other weapon anyway.

Does this change anything? (I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just playing the devil's advocate, as I do want to know the correct answer)

Cheers! :drink:

GargonCerlan

6. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Well, the reason behind using a second weapon in the offhand is that, unlike a shield, it gives you double the hit attempts when you use it with whirlwind, in effect giving your more opportunities to deal damage and trigger mods like ow/cb/ds/cs. That's generally why two weapons are superior to weapon/shield if you want damage, and likewise why two weapons are better than 1 2h weapon.

-Hal

7. GargonCerlan

Suppose you want to use a skill like bash, stun, concentrate, or berserk? Does the same rule apply that a second hand weapon is better than a shield?

8. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

In those instances, I would usually use a shield, but even in that scenario, I'd use stormshield instead of phoenix, just because the dex investment to get the blocking up would be ridiculous, and the PDR on storm is so valuable.

-Hal