Noob Warrior/Classic Set (NWCS) Tournament

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Noob Warrior/Classic Set (NWCS) Tournament

Noob Warrior/Classic Set (NWCS) Tourney

Here’s a Tourney that is designed to be different and more of a quick challenge than an endurance event.

Object: Play a character according to the rules below and complete Normal Difficulty, kill normal Baal and clear the normal Cow Level. The rules will limit your characters’ experience and leveling (thus, making him a Noob) and require your character to wear a randomly-chosen Classic Set.

Rules
1. All play must be single player only, with version 1.10 or 1.11.

2. This is a Softcore Tourney, but your character is out of the tourney upon his/her first death. You may re-enter with a new character.

3. The tournament will be entirely in Normal Difficulty. You must complete all the quests. It is not necessary to actually imbue, socket or personalize an item for those quests to be considered complete.

4. All gameplay must be on Players 1 except when you encounter each of the five Act Bosses and when you encounter the Ancients. The five Act Bosses and the Ancients must be spawned and defeated on Players 8 mode.

5. You must play in single pass mode. No rerunning an area to gain experience. Limited re-running is allowed if you are restarting the game and are forced to repeat an area to arrive at the point where your last session ended. However, the intention is that you play straight through normal difficulty once.

6. Forbidden Areas. You may only enter areas that are required for the quests and for normal progress. You may not go into pits and areas if they are not required for questing and forward progress. Areas that are forbidden are:
Act 1: The Pit, The Hole, The Cave, Level 2 of The Underground Passage, the Mausoleum, the Crypt
Act 2: The Stony Tomb, The Ancient Tunnels, The False Tal Rasha Tombs
Act 3: Swampy Pit, Arachnid Lair, The Reliquaries, Fanes and Temples in Upper Kurast and the Kurast Causeway
Act 5: Abaddon, Pit of Acheron, The Infernal Pit, the Icy Cellar, the Drifter Cavern

7. Forbidden Skills. You may pick any character class, but use of the following skills will be forbidden:

Static Field, Blessed Hammer, Skeleton Mastery and Lightning Sentry.

8. Equipment. After declaring your character class you will have a Classic Set picked for you randomly (by another player or by the host) from the following list of Sets:

1. Angelic,
2. Arctic,
3. Berserker’s + Hsarus’,
4. Cathan’s,
5. Civerb’s,
6. Clegaw’s,
7. Death’s,
8. Infernal,
9. Iratha’s,
10. Isenhart’s,
11. Milabrega’s, and
12. Vidala’s.

Note: Sigon’s Set is omitted because it is overpowered for this tourney. Tancred’s Set and Arcanna’s Set have some relatively rare amulets and would be difficult to include in the tourney.

You must twink into the Game the items in your Classic Set and wear them as soon as your character meets the equipment requirements. If you do not already own all the items in the Set, the Host or other experienced players will loan you the items to complete the Set (any Classic Set items loaned by the Host will be softcore items.) Your Classic Set must be worn as soon as you meet the requirements for it. If your Classic Set includes an item with a high attribute requirement (example: high strength) you must invest your attribute points to assure that your character can wear the item as soon as possible.
All equipment slots not filled by your Classic Set should be filled by items you find or obtain during the play of the game.
Until you have reached an experience level that allows you to wear your Classic Set, you may equip yourself with other items obtained in the game (as normal).

9. Other than the Classic Set described in the foregoing rule, no other items obtained from outside the tournament may be twinked into the game. However, ATMA may be used by you character as an infinite stash for items obtained within the tournament.

10. If your Classic Set has a weapon, you must carry that weapon into combat; the weapon switch slots may be used to carry items for pre-buffing purposes, but are not allowed to be used for actual combat with monsters.

11. Mercs: There are no constraints on your choice of mercs or the equipment you give them, as long as the equipment is obtained during the course of the tourney in the normal ways.

12. If you successfully kill Baal and clear the Cow Farm on P8, you have won the tourney! The tournament will have no prizes –which is convenient because there may be more than one winner! But you will be able to brag about having won a tournament - and successfully completing this one may be harder than you think!

Note that your randomly chosen Classic Set is likely to have a weapon - and it may be of a type that causes problems for your class of character (Bows + Barbs, Swords + Zons, etc.) I hope that leads to some unusual builds. I realize that Sorcs and Paladins will be attractive classes to play, but I hope that some of us will be adventurous and try other classes.

Thanks to everyone that offered comments to me on my earlier thread. I hope this quick and simple tournament is appealing to some of you.

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm in with a Barbarian. I'll figure out the SC/HC stuff after I find out my set and go through my stashes.

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Cattleya said:
I'm in with a Barbarian. I'll figure out the SC/HC stuff after I find out my set and go through my stashes.
Great! I rolled you a Clegaw's Brace Set

I'd like to try an Assassin. Could you roll me a Set, please?

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Quickdeath said:
I'd like to try an Assassin. Could you roll me a Set, please?
Arctic Set. A Bowsin it is. :smiley:

Edit: Yay! I have Cleglaw's set in HC. I can do this tourney properly. :grin:

Cormallon

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice.... rule #4 is tough and that one will stop quite some chars I guess.

One question: what is the time frame for this tournament? There is the MFO coming up, and I have a few other projects going, therefore I can't start here before mid april...

adny

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm in! I'm in! This could be rather quick (death :wink3: ). And I'm going with necro...

Yokomohoyo

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a 2 questions:
1. what is to stop a bone mancer with CE from playing a normal build or an ES Enchantress?
2. is rwm able to be used?

Crudesash68

Diabloii.Net Member
I like it! I'll sign up as well...with an Asassin; I am a sin noob, so it goes with the theme. Please roll me a set. Also, you mentioned not runing the fanes in Act III...but they are required to complete the Lam Esens Tome Quest...shall we run that or skip the quest?

So...can we get a Vidala's Set? A Bowsin with WoI sounds pretty sweet, I tells ya. :grin:

Steve

Hamburger

Diabloii.Net Member
Yokomohoyo said:
I have a 2 questions:
1. what is to stop a bone mancer with CE from playing a normal build or an ES Enchantress?
Tell me how CE kills ancients on p8 :rolleyes: .

I like it, but I don't think I'll be signing up.
Like Cormallon, I have some other stuff going on, not only D2 projects :grin:

Atil

Diabloii.Net Member
I would like to enter, but after the MFO.

Crudesash68 said:
...Also, you mentioned not runing the fanes in Act III...but they are required to complete the Lam Esens Tome Quest...shall we run that or skip the quest?
The Tome is always in the Ruined Temple. You can enter that one, but not the others, I presume.

ComeOutAndPlay said:
I'm in with a pally, Noobinator. Can someone roll for me pls?

Nice idea!
From an internet random number generator you rolled 5 = Civerb's

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Atil said:
The Tome is always in the Ruined Temple. You can enter that one, but not the others, I presume.
It's also in the Kurast Bazaar, which wasn't listed as the banned areas for the temples in Act 3, although I assume the other temple in the Bazaar is off limits.

I rolled some random numbers. My random number generator seems to like 5s and 2s. I guess that's why they call it random. :smiley:

adny: 5 Civerb
Lord Nikon: 5 Civerb
Crudesash68: 2 Arctic

Edit: Pooncer the Civerb Barbarian has started his journey. He's cleared the Den and taken out Blood Raven, and all at the ripe old age of 6. He's got the gloves and shield on, but I don't think he'll be able to equip the sword until level 10 or so. I can already tell that the knockback is going to be fun...

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Cormallon said:
One question: what is the time frame for this tournament? There is the MFO coming up, and I have a few other projects going, therefore I can't start here before mid april...
That's probably okay. We'll go until the interest dies away.

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Regardiing Lam Esen's Tome, I did not forbid going into the Temples/Reliquaries etc. in Kurast Bazaar. My intention in Kurast Bazaar is that you go to the Ruined Temple and complete the Lam Esen Quest without entering the Disused Reliquary. But if you get confused and you search for Lam Esen's Tome in the wrong "pit" in Kurast Bazaar, you will not be disqualified.

Yokohomo said:
I have a 2 questions:
1. I almost banned CE as a necro skill, but I know its a fun skill and it won't help against Duriel, Diablo, the Ancients and Baal. So I weakened Skellies, instead, by banning Skeleton Mastery. A Bonemancer or an ES Enchantress would be fine builds to play - I don't see them as imbalancing the Torunament. Just remember that you're not planning a high-level build for Hell difficulty - you need a low-level build to survive a P8 Normal Duriel and a P8 Normal Diablo and Baal.
2. No, please do not use RWM.

LORD NIKON

Diabloii.Net Member
Sur-El's name means "Wind" in the Ancient's language. His past can be described as troublesome at best. He was a spoiled child of a barbarian elder, who eventually left Sur a large inheritance of weapons, gold and jewelry. He gambled and drank most of it. He participated in many tavern brawls, living to his name, quickly battering down anyone who would raise against him. In these brawls he got used to utilising a compact mace, light shield and armour. However, as fate would have it, he got carried away a bit on one such occurence, wrecking a whole tavern, when a fellow gambler supposedly cheated him... being left with only a few items and no gold, he was unable to pay for the damage and was forced to flee the highlands in shame, leaving him to fend for himself in a world he knew nothing about. As fate would have it, he stumbled upon a small tent encampment one early morning...

Disco-neck Ted

The Dark Library
Great idea for a tournament. Very cool. All the disadvantages of p8 and none of the advantages.

As for Tancred's set being excluded, I have stacks of the amulets lying around and don't even mule them any more. The boots and armor have always been harder for me to find. Death's set may be tough for some people to manage since the belt and gloves are scarce.

As for Cleglaw's, you couldn't hope for a better classic set for a melee character. The mods are just awesome! I put an assassin through normal on p1 (i.e. 1.07) with that set and it works very well.

One last thought: escape/exit to save one's life is forbidden, yes?

Have fun!

Edit: nice back story, Nikon. Good tournaments with some entertaining storytelling = greatness.

Could someone pls send me a 1.10/1.11 civerbs set as a loan until the end of the tourny? I dont run a grail and as such i dont pick up things unless they are decent / rarish.

email = perfectone13 AT hotmail DOT com

Cheers.

Cattleya: I didnt know civerbs had gloves :shocked: What set are u using? hahaha

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
ComeOutAndPlay said:
Cattleya: I didnt know civerbs had gloves :shocked: What set are u using? hahaha
Yeah. It's the super secret part of the set that you get when you team up with the Cow King to kill Wirt. Nah, I'd just typed Civerb for the rolls for people and it was in my head instead of Cleglaw.

I sent a SC 1.10 RRM Civerb set your way.

Pooncer has finished Act 1 without any major problems. As Disco-neck Ted pointed out, it's acutally a pretty nice set, with scaling AR and max damage, deadly strike, and crushing blow. It's pretty light on resists (and eats up the shield spot with a non-blocking shield) and lacks any life leach, but I think the main thing Pooncer has to fear in normal is my stupidity. :laugh: