Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

NOOB Sorc MF question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by bigfatbunny, Jun 15, 2005.

1. bigfatbunny

bigfatbunny IncGamers Member

NOOB Sorc MF question

Hi, this is my first post, I've been playing D2 1.10 quite a lot over the last few months, my MF character is a lvl 85 meteorb, in full tal rashas - she has MF of around 350%.
    I'm MFing mephisto in nightmare, and have found a lot of items for my other characters and to trade, but when it comes to hell running, I die everytime I try, even doing Andariel.
    So I guess I need better gear - I'm finding it hard to get to lvl 86, even in 8 player Baalruns, I'm dying as often as I'm gaining XP, which cancels itself out - also, I think an extra 25-50 points in vitality won't really help me survive hell, as I'm getting wiped out so easily in the gear I've got.

So my question really is "How can I make my character grow up?" - on average 20 meph runs in nightmare are yielding 1 or 2 not bad items, but I'm not getting anything of the caliber I imagine I'll need to help survive hell meph runs.

Any advice or strategies or links to an existing answer would be much appreciated - and sorry this is such a noob question, but everyone was a noob at something once! :)

2. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Welcome to the boards :)

First, what's your sorc's stats - she's using full tal, but how are her resistances? Does she have max block? You shouldn't die that often in Baalruns except if you try to do the teleporting. Is that when you die in your Hell runs? If that's the problem, you may need better fcr equipment. Or is it facing the boss? Try using the moat trick on Mephisto - it works wonders (if you don't know it, do a search - I know there's a description somewhere - but in short, trap Mephisto on the other side of the lava river and stay out of his range while you kill him).

3. Miladys-Knight

Miladys-Knight IncGamers Member

an explanation of the moat trick can be found in the sorc guide library.

4. bigfatbunny

okay, Giant-Cat's stats =
    STR - 85
    DEX - 45 (I imagine this is the problem ...)
    VIT - 300
    NRG - 110

Sta - 448
    Life - 1061
    Mana - 708

F.O damage - 408-428
    AR - 297

Hell Res's
    F - 74
    C - 74
    L - 75
    C - 34 (another problem ...)

As far as when and where Hell games kill me off, as soon as something gets past my orbs/meteors, and close enough to hit me my life drops VERY quickly (so I guess I need to up my DEX?)

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

If you use teleport you shoudlnt need that much dex. Generally its best to go for 75% block rate, or base res with a sorc. It takes alot of dex to noticably improve your block rate and def, so i say leave it.
    Your stats seem good for hell mephing, those resistances will be fine for MFing.

6. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

I'm having a hard time seeing what your problem is... Your gear is more than good enough, and though I think you've got too much points in energy your stats look survivable in Hell. Have you got a well equipped, well levelled merc to tank for you?

7. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

I think you're doing #1 newbie (no offense) sorc mistake:

You expect your attacks to kill anything in 1 hit, and when that doesn't happen, you just keep attacking instead of moving out of the way...

Even with Max Vita builds or Max block or whatever, Sorcs are NOT tanks...You can't use them like say, a Hammerdin, where you just stand and spam in the middle of a crowd and watch them die...

In hell, very little monsters die instantly to pretty much any sorc attack, however sorcs have a very special and usefull skill... Teleport...Try to use it to stay OUT of harm's way instead of outlasting it...

Just, cast spell, get the hell out of the way, and repeat till they're dead...

8. bigfatbunny

thanks for the advice, you're right about my faith in the power of my f.orbs - i've been using tele because it's quicker to move around with, rather than as a true strategy - i'll try using 'avoidance' tactics and see how i go :)

9. bigfatbunny

I just ran 10 hell mephruns - the first time, i died from a combination of inexperience and lag, but on the 6th run i got gheeds fortune - so now i'm very happy :) :) :)

10. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

it's all about specializing. a char that is meant to do baalruns will look a lot different than a char meant for meph runs. you get some leeway with eq, but that still means you should keep an extra set of eq in the stash.

normally, here's what i do:

specialized in baalruns:
    tgods/dwarfstar/ravenfrost (basically, absorbs in all three elements, any way you can get it.)
    max, near max, or over max resists. i usually get this through smoke armor, res quests and wiz spike.)
    105% casting rate, vital vital VITAL for tping through to baal.
    max block is nice, but not especially useful for the most dangerous monsters there.

specialized in mephruns:
    65% fcr
    fire absorb only
    positive resists, maybe, but not required.
    everything else geared for mf.

my advice: don't bother going out in mf eq and trying to level. at most, you can support maybe 200% mf through charms, harle, and armor (or tal rasha's set.) or, you can join baal run games but don't try to tp through.

11. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

yesterday, i got 2 stormshields back to back. :)