Noob question on life steal

Stevebo

Banned
Noob question on life steal

How does life steal work?
Say you have 5% life steal on a weapon does this mean you steal 5% of the monsters life or do you recover 5% of your own regardless of the monster life?

Its a dumb question i know, but would be grateful if someone could help me out.

FodderCannoned

Diabloii.Net Member
Stevebo said:
How does life steal work?
Say you have 5% life steal on a weapon does this mean you steal 5% of the monsters life or do you recover 5% of your own regardless of the monster life?

Its a dumb question i know, but would be grateful if someone could help me out.
you steal 5% of the physical damage that you do to him, so lets say you do 1000 physical damage, then you would leach 50 life off him
edit, and life leach is cut in half in nightmare, and by 1/3 in hell

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
If you deal e.g. 100 points of physical damage (elemental or magical damage doesn't count) with a melee or missile attack, you get back 5 life. Mana leech gives you back mana instead of life. In nightmare, these amounts are halved and in hell it's divided by 3.

Stevebo

Banned
One more bit...

Does life steal apply to Druid Tornado? It says its physical damage but its a spell...

sorry for being dense

Necrochild313

Diabloii.Net Member
Stevebo said:
Does life steal apply to Druid Tornado? It says its physical damage but its a spell...

sorry for being dense
No it does not. It doesn't work with the necromancer's corpse explosion either.

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Leaching works only with weapons (and with assassins Blade skills and kicks). Some creatures (mostly undeads) are completely unleachable.

Jell-O

Diabloii.Net Member
And as usual, the damage is further reduced by any physical resistance the monster may have, which lowers the amount of life(or mana) leeched even more.