Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Noob Question...How to use Search function

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by lpblasch, Aug 28, 2006.

1. lpblasch

lpblasch IncGamers Member

Noob Question...How to use Search function

I am embarrassed to say that my computer skills are not sufficient to use the forun search tool effectively. In the past I have seen posters ask questions, and quite often someone else kicks their shins for not looking in old threads or using the search function. I wish to be a responsible player and forum member and do my own homework, but I need some help.

The problem is that every time I click on "search" and type in what I think are key words, I get a compilation of junk; sometimes, the keywords are highlighted in yellow, but most often I can't tell why the references came up.

What drove me to ask is the latest thread about "ZOMG I found a Zod" and all the references to CoS cheating, trading with cheaters, etc. I somehow missed the incident, and wanted to read up on the problem. No luck.

So, what IS the proper way to use the search function? Specifically, in the Zod case, what would bring up the relevant threads? Please don't assume I know much when you answer- the simpler the explanation, the more useful it will be.
    Thanks

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Use the advanced search it works better.
    in ZomG case use posts by user ....
    Another way is to get the user profile up and show all posts by ... that gives a short synopsis of the post too

3. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

The normal Search button will give you 'hits' in every single forum, thereby showing up a lot if irrelevant junk. Yeah, use the Advanced Search button. It is much more specific. Play around with it and get used to it.

For example, if I did a Search of 'fend', I'd get hundreds of threads of it, from every forum. If I did an Advanced Search of 'fend' and asked it to search the Amazon forum only (Fend in relation to the zon skill), I'll get threads from the Amazon forum only, which tend to be more relevant. Some of the hits will still be junk, but you'll have less junk to sort through.

4. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

something recent like this you can also limit the advanced search to a time period, like the last week. it's also useful for finding something you know you saw a while back but aren't too sure where.

Do keep in mind that we use abrevieations for folks around here. COH was chains of honor iirc and refences to fb are about farting bob.

5. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

It was CoS tho; Chain of Strength. Change to "Show result as posts" (bottom left) to easily find the relevant post.

6. Llathias

Llathias Banned

If you know any poster that'd posted in the thread, use their name in your search too; it helps you greatly.

The biggest problem you'll face is that you can't search for some terms either because they're too common (e.g. "what") or too short (3 chars or less, e.g. "RWM"). You'll also sometimes get an error page, which I believe is the result of multiple common terms.

Thanks for being so responsible and willing to learn about the search function, instead of posting new threads and expecting others to do the search. :thumbsup:

7. lpblasch

lpblasch IncGamers Member

I appreciate all the help in this thread. I have played with Advanced search a bit and now it's much easier to come up with relevant stuff.
    Thanks to all who responded.