Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

(None) Leap Attack

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Atil, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

(None) Leap Attack

Last night my Barbarian got cornered and killed due to Leap Attack suddenly not working. After recovering my still warm corpse and inflicting fatal beatings to those involved, I tried both Leap Attack and Leap again. They both caused my muscular, very macho Barbarian to perform very dainty pirouettes (I swear to god my Merc was s******ing) as he looked in the directions I was pointing to but he didn't even hop, never mind leap. Anyone else had this happen?

I am currently playing V1.10, players 8, Nightmare, Act 2, Halls of the Dead level 2. (Yes I know, why bother when I already have a Cube? I like completion).

2. LOCO

LOCO IncGamers Member

yeah this is a pretty common occurance for leap attack although it goes back to normal if you quit then start the game again.
    lucky you were playing SC as it scares the hell out of you in HC when it happens

3. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

I assume it's a non-predictable random occurence, since he was leaping over the moat in Mephisto's lair with no problems?

4. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

I heard it has something to do with enemies hitting you at the beginning of the leap or something.

5. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

It's only happened to me during combat.

6. Chiastic

Chiastic IncGamers Member

Actually, it only happens to me when I get swatted by a critter with bash/stun/knockback at the exact moment I use the skill. I pop straight up in the air and fall straight back down and afterwards leap attack is bugged for the rest of that game. As best I can tell, the bug is that leap attack can be interrupted and activated at the exact same time, after which the game never realizes that the skill "cast" has been completed. I assume that any monster capable of doing enough damage to throw you into recovery mode is capable of breaking it, but I've really only seen it with the Urdar-type stuff.

7. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

it happened to me only once

still, another annoying thing happened to me several times: i got stuck in the maggot lair...couldnt run/walk, couldnt hit, only spin...

8. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Welcome to the club, this leap bug is the only thing to stop me making a leap barb, it will be unplayable if all you do is "leap attack".

9. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

That's how it started for me, except I was surrounded by skeletons with no special attacks. It looked a bit funny as he launched himself vertically, paused for a second and then came back down. My smile soon faded as no leech, no potions, no portal and too slow on the Esc key resulted in a quick dirt nap.

Thanks for the information.

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I have also experience this, although if Leap Attack got bugged, Leap would still work in that game (and vice versa) until that skill also got bugged.

11. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

That's what I was thinking, and led me to trying plain Leap (in case I needed it in an emergency). When that didn't work either (I tried it in a cleared area so no chance of getting hit as it triggered), I decided to quit and seek answers here.

12. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

I played a Leap Barb for a while. The bug did get annoying, but it didn't stop me from having fun. I just couldn't host with him because I'd have to log off maybe once a session to reset the bug. It's a very fun skill to build a character around though. Don't let it stop you. It'd be like not making melee because of the FE bug.

Don't let the bugs win!

13. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

I've had something similar happen to me, except with frenzy. I'll be in the middle of my motion, and all of a sudden, I can't move, except to turn in circles, fixed on a point. I can still take potions, make a TP (but not go in it). I can't swing, use war cries, or do anything. The monsters I've noticed that can put me in this state are:

Wendigo A1
    Claw Viper A2
    Blunderbore A2
    Thorned Hulk A3
    Abominable A5
    Reanimated Horde A5

This doesn't happen to me all the often, but these monters in the different difficulties have done it to me. Any ideas as to why? Has this happened to anyone else?

14. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

That's something else, it has to do with getting stuck in the map. It can happen to any char but the barbs and palidins are particularly prone to it.

You can sometimes escape by opening a tp and going through, if it's close enough, if not, but you have charges of teleport, you can teleport to fix it. Otherwise you can sometimes LEAP (not LA) out, not always. Otherwise it's S&E. Though one time it happened to goltar while we were MP and when I finally managed to shop a wand w/ tele charges, and threw it out on the ground for him to pick up, he was able to move again.

We had a lovely thread devoted to these and other bugs not that long ago... found it! http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=327996

15. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

@ JRL - There's lots of problems that can happen in the game when characters move/attack really fast and get sent into hit recovery. While I don't know the exact bug, try hitting your weapon switch ('w' is the default key) and then you should be able to move and attack again just fine.

16. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

The Leap Attack bug has been around since the beta. As stated, the only
    thing you can do if you want to continue to use LA is to exit your game. It
    stinks. Following a leap attack with my barb, I have him whirl through and
    out of the crowd before my next Leap Attack (in order to avoid the bug). If
    the monsters are fast enough, I scrap LA in favor of whirlwind.

This bug has been around for a long time. As whomhead said hitting your
    weapon switch should do the trick.

17. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

FE bug can happen to anyone, not just melee. It is either OHKO or badly drop your "red ball" to bottom, in that case, a big potion is all you need to fix it.

The leap bug is different, I hate to quit the game completely just because of a stupid bug, specially D2 is not that kind of game that you can start from where you left ...

I had couple of high level barb (ok, only 90 & high 80s), who only use LA for "escape", and I already got so annoyed by this bug. I can't even think to build a leaper. For this reason, I have uber respect for those who build leaper.