Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

non summoner untwinked char

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Reformed Vision, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Reformed Vision

Reformed Vision Diabloii.Net Member

non summoner untwinked char

I know this is probably asked about 20 times a week but I'm just lost at this point. I'm sure I'll build a fishy mancer at some point but besides that. What would be a good build for a totally untwinked char than can kill and survive and mf as a bonus but not really all that important. Even killing power would be above that as getting to and beating hell so I can find decent items would be the goal. thank you for all the help I am sure I will recieve. :D

2. Kirbybabo

Kirbybabo Diabloii.Net Member

I just started a few days ago. I chose a meteorb sorceress for my first run through untwinked hardcore. I am following Vegas guide http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=127669 . I am now up to level 60 and have only been getting better as far as killing speed.

3. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus Diabloii.Net Member

Non summoner?

Well, there are probably quite a few builds that fit this bill.

A hammerdin fits the bill. You have unresistable damage save for maybe 1-2 monsters and you also have holy shield which will max out blocking for the many paladin-specific rare shields you will find along the way.

You can kill everything/anything and block pretty much the same. You can run high player settings and get max xp and drops. You won't have as much MF as other chars but enough to find stuff.

Other chars? I've heard a trapsin does well untwinked. I've played a Dtail/talon assassin and she's pretty powerful at least in the beginning (I haven't levelled her much yet).

I'm sure others will pipe in sooner or later.

Do the fishy though.

Good luck.

4. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Diabloii.Net Member

I assume softcore characters, and agree on the hammerdin and trapsin. They are proven to be very effective untwinked. (If you are going HC, the hammerdin is risky.) But add the meteorb - she does quite well, and can MF too. :thumbsup:

5. Awkward

Awkward Diabloii.Net Member

Not to totally intercept this thread, but I have an early level problem with my 17 meteorb. She is in the monastery in Act I, and is having a really annoying time of it due to mana problems, even with points into Energy, having to drink every few kills or so. Is this normal for sorcs?

6. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Diabloii.Net Member

Um, yeah, you totally took this thread off-topic. :rolleyes:

Yes early meteorbs have mana problems if they insist on being casters. Most folks that play untwinked just melee until lvl 24 or so. Then mana isn't such an issue. You also might consider a Stealth runeword armor for mana regen or pop a few skulls into your gear to do the same.

[/hijack] :)

7. Nightfish

Nightfish Diabloii.Net Member

I'm pretty sure you can get pretty much every build to beat the game untwinked. It's just a matter of how patient you are. For MFing the list is shorter, I'd suggest a meteorb sorc for starters there.

8. Shakes

Shakes Diabloii.Net Member

You're thinking about the game in the wrong way. An untwinked caster character in normal isn't a killer. Their merc is a killer, the player is merc support. Cold sorcs have an especially easy time in this role, since they can slow/freeze enemies to keep their merc alive and killing efficiently.

ANd to bring this response on topic, that's why you should play a sorc who uses cold spells of some description: they're easy to get started. :)

9. Awkward

Awkward Diabloii.Net Member

Another somewhat lesser played character that seems viable untwinked in HC is a hunter druid. Basic idea is that the druid has dire wolves out in front for tanking and crowd control, a spirit, and some mixture of fire spells and bow+arrow.

I did this in softcore with minimal deaths, and I'm sure that you could easily do it with no deaths (I had heavy dexterity and heart of wolverine, HC would probably be heavy vitality and oak sage or whatever the health spirit is called).

-Awkward

10. Reformed Vision

Reformed Vision Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah since this is my first char it is softcore and i'm not the type of person to go play for hours only to lose a character and items due to the wrong hotkey switch. :p Hi there nightfish. no offense I love the fishymancer it's just that I have built 20+ of them and wanted to go a little different direction. ;)

I had no idea that the hamerdin was a good starter I had always thought he was heavy on item dependencies to be able to kill and survive. Thank you I believe I'll go look into that one. Thanks for the help all. :clap:

11. Nightfish

Nightfish Diabloii.Net Member

Hey, that's totally fine. ;) It's not like I played only skelliemancers, either, ya know? In the near future I'll have played over 48 other chars, not counting the ones that die along the way...