Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Non-LOD Play - what do you miss out?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by pantherus, May 19, 2008.

1. pantherus

pantherus IncGamers Member

Non-LOD Play - what do you miss out?

Hi all,

I haven't played D2 in over 3 years, having played D2 with LOD for many years prior to that.

Recently I got "the urge" to have another go with it - only to find out that my LOD disc is gone. Getting a new one will take a while (with a small budget and a non-gamer wife!) so I'm looking at playing D2 classic.

My question is, however, I remember (back in the pre-1.10 days) that D2 was not nearly up to the scratch that LOD was (I think I read somewhere that there was public criticism to Blizzard for this by implicitly 'forcing' people to buy LOD just to get the decent stuff in the game...) and am unsure whether D2 is all that playable even now?

I noticed that there is "non-expansion" versions of the 1.10 and 1.11 patches which sounds good - but was really wondering what stuff you do miss out on by not playing it with LOD (not counting the obvious stuff of a shorter game (don't have Act V) and can't use Assassin & Druid)?

2. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

3. pantherus

Re: Non-LOD Play - what do you miss out?

Much obliged.

So you miss out on runewords/charms/jewels
    I cannot remember - are the exception/elite item types still in classic?

I never saw the point in MF and items runs etc - so having less high-level items isn't a worry for me.

I always just enjoyed playing the game - the struggle to make it through some of the hard parts - the only times I did "runs" was to gain XP in order to handle a harder bit - not to go finding better items.

Sounds like a reinstall is on the cards for me! :)

4. deichsela

deichsela IncGamers Member

No exceptional uniques. No elite items.

5. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

No exceptional set items either.

And in classic you don't miss out on things like runes, you're glad it's not in there. :)

6. pantherus

Heh - well going on the fact that a) I'm now married; b) I have a baby on the way; c) I'm still playing some xbox games...I don't think not having elites etc is much of a problem :p

I'm not even sure I'll play online since I may not rack up the hours necessary just to keep my account alive! :D

7. WarlockCC

Keeping your account alive requires you to perm your char once(just leave your char logged in in a game for 2 hours) and after that just log in and select each char every 90 days. I generally check once every 2 months to be sure.

8. pantherus

that's just crazy enough to work :)

might just have to create a character, start a private game, and just leave them in there doing nothing for a couple of hours :p

I'll get around to playing them eventually :D

9. WarlockCC

While perming I usually get my chars to stare into their stash. Or have the message window open so you can see all the joins and leaves. Though in a private game you wouldn't have any joins and leaves ofcourse.

10. pantherus

why stare into their stash?

11. WarlockCC

Mainly so they'll have something to look at. And they can play with the items in their stash while they wait for you to return. Other then that, no reason really.

12. pantherus

Amazon-specific query here...

I recall that Javalins etc sucked royally in Classic - it wasn't until LoD that nice magic/rare/unique ones came out and Javazons really became viable...

Is that still the case now?

13. SHINOBIPANDA

SHINOBIPANDA IncGamers Member

lol. i miss the stash size, thats all really. i think lod is too easy.:thumbsup:

14. HegemonKhan

correct. there is NO magical, rare, unique javs. there is only the poor quality(ies), normal, superior, and exceptional. harpoons do the most damage for javs. though they do not have the fastest speed. but javs have a very small stack supply (80 in a stack)(frequent town trips=annoying).

however, your post being amazon specific, means your using javs with the amazon. this means that u r probably using an elemental jav skill (lit jav skills or poison jav skills). these attacks get their real/main damage from elemental damages so while the jav weapon itself is low damage it doesnt matter as your damage is elemental from the skills u invest. fury, charged strike, lightning strike, and plague jav skills are all very strong, doing good elemental damage. only way u would be relying on jav damage is if u were using javs with fend, impale, and jab which would be dumb. spears do more damage and are much better for the fend, impale, and jab skills.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm currently slowly slowly working on a barb thrower and seeing if i can make him viable in hell and hell cs. he's only currently in nm (nm=nightmare) in stony field. my plan is to basically have him folow a strafezon (fredsta glass cannon "classic" strafezon build) as they both do low damage they are very similiar to each other.

however, my barb thrower is doing so far pretty impressive damage and is working alright for where he is (nm stony field).

his javs are the normal version of the harpoon (i think they are called throwing spears)(~15-30 damage) does 160-400 (throw) damage when THROWN with double throw skill currently with ~330 dex (3.3x), 20 into throw mast (~160% damage)(1.6x), and 19 or 20 into double swing (a synergy for double throw that does damage)(~150% damage)(1.5x). for some reason the character screen shows him doing about 2x as much as he should. he should only be doing ~100-200 but as i said it shows him doing ~160-400. i'm not complaining though if he is doing this double damage:D

so javs aren't doing too bad at least in early act 1 nm with a thrower barb with pretty high damage.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i have a thread for this thrower barb if u are interested.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=657618

15. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

It's true. Blizzard shorted classic Diablo2 by forcing people to buy Lod to get the fixes they should have put into the patch 1.08. Improvements like fixing the mercs so they could change acts without you losing the huge gold you paid for them. This was especially useful in single player. Most people originally bought D2 for single player use. They were burned by the huge amount of cheating in D1. Also, they brought in rare Holy Water Sprinklers and Grim Helms and Lances, which they had left behind, around Xmas of the year 2000, but never bothered to get rare throwing weapons for the next patch.

But the worst was in patch 1.10, when they applied a huge number of changes that had been accumulating in LoD over the years to Classic, but without giving us the equipment and charms and such to deal with these changes. So there are alot of character types, especially melee, which are too hard to play now in hell mode.

16. HegemonKhan

i like challenges:D

which probably explains why i don't like cookie cutter builds that noobs can make and dominate with. i like taking weak skills or builds and trying to transform them into the next new cookie cutter for noobs to use.

the harder and more difficult and more disadvantaged classic is the better the challenge which i love.

i feel there is always a way to make any skill or build powerful despite the odds against it in classic.

17. Razputin

Razputin IncGamers Member

The only thing i miss is the unique boots. I have always found that the unique boots right through to elite were designed perfectly. (Apart from the marrowalk bug in times gone by!) They all have a specific use (except infernostride, but that looks cool anyway). I would love me some waterwalks of sandstorms of goreriders on classic :cloud9:

The same can be said for classic (i.e. normal) unique gloves and to a lesser extent armours. These are all really well designed too!