Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Non ladder Frost Zealot Weapon Quandary

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Howler, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Howler

Howler IncGamers Member

Non ladder Frost Zealot Weapon Quandary

Hia im in the middle of building a Frost Zealot, and im having a tough time choosing an end game weapon. Im very new to building Paladins, (only built one before and he was a ranger :p ). could i get some experianced advice on what weapon to go for.

ive Narrowed my list down to the following weapons :)

Rune Words options
    -------------------
    Beast (using a "Caduceus" or a "Berserker Axe")
    Famine (Using a "Legendary Mallet" or a "Berserker Axe")

Unique Options
    -------------------
    Stormlash
    Stone crusher
    Schaefer's Hammer

which in your experianced opinions are gonna be best? Crushing Blow is important but i dont want to sacrifice to much on the damage side to obtain itfrom the weapon. IAS on the weapon is another big consideration from me.

Thank you for your time
    Howler :scratch:

2. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

Your best option IMO is Doom runeword.

3. Feydr

Feydr IncGamers Member

actually, considering the awesome repair costs of doom, and the overpriced runes I'd suggest famine as ITD probably would be somewhat important to you

4. AuraAllan

AuraAllan IncGamers Member

I have a lvl 80-ish Frost Zealot on EU NL and he uses Crescent Moon Phase blade. AWESOME speed, Static field and ITD.

Not that much dmg, but @ 5 hits per sec......who cares?

Cheap and Great solution.

~AuraAllan~

5. Howler

Howler IncGamers Member

well the doom runeword definatley looks tasty, the mods look awesome especially the -40-60 Enemy Cold res! :D, but it is very expensive. hmm might be one to try and obtain for the future.

i think ill work on a crescent moon tonight, seems a very good temp solution until i settle on what to get :)

i really like the mods on Storm lash, but its Min damage just looks really bad ><

Stone crushers only real plus point over the some of these other options is its 40% CB, Schaefers is nice but i dont think its for this build.

Beasts Fana Aura deffinatley makes it very desirable and with CB is dreamey but its damage is fairly low.

any other options people can think of?

6. Feydr

Feydr IncGamers Member

Well, baranars is kinda obvious... Lightsabre might be a good choice too. But you really should search for a 1h weapon which adds damage to your current. As It comes to my mind, you'd might wanna try picking up a 6s phase blade and 6 cold facets, not very high physical damage but hey, you'd rock against the others. =) If you wanna team up with my Tesladin in europe it would have been fun, you play at Europe too as I understand?

7. Kenned

Kenned IncGamers Member

Nords Tenerizer perhaps.. Good cold damage and its very very fast

8. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Howler: The way you're putting things I assume you're going for a build like...
    20 Holy Freeze
    20 Resist Cold
    20 Zeal
    20 Sacrifice

That is really the only way you're going to be doing decent physical damage once you get to hell... without something like Conc or Fanat you still wont be able to match other classes though, keep in mind. Try to make the Frost Zealot about the frost =)

Anyways, without listing all of the different options, I'd honestly make speed and crushing blow more important than physical damage... in every Frost Zealot I've ever made physical damage output was the least of my worries. I would definately sacrifice damage for speed/CB. That said... I am gonna say...

STORMLASH! Honestly, its pretty much second for the best possible Frost Zealot weapon (#1 is Heavens Light)... I would kill my family for a stormlash (ok, maybe only for a perfect one).

It doesnt have quite as much CB as stonecrusher but it is SO much faster to start with, PLUS the huge IAS bonus, PLUS lightning absorb PLUS decent lightning damage. I'd say go stormlash without question. How did you allocate your skill points and what level are you now?

Good luck! =)

9. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

Doom is a waste if you're already got Holy Freeze on

10. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

If you could post build we can help further :)

11. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

Exaclty my thoughts on that type of built :lol:

There are 2 basic principles when building a Frost zeal / Tesladin, in my opinion, that you should keep in my mind weapon wise. You need a speedy weapon and it helps a great deal if it has ignore target's defense. Anything that fits that description can be use. To give you an idea I even use a necro wand with ITD and good secondary mod. In this type of built, your damage comes from your ability to hit fast and often.

12. Howler

Howler IncGamers Member

heh, think i should explain a little.

middle of a build for me means not actually started playing him yet.

i like to plan very carefully, which means middle of a build for me is still trying to obtain the items ill need for him :)

my plan is atm is:

Holy Freeze :20
    Cold Res Aura :20
    Zeal :20
    Sacrifice :~10
    Salvation :~10
    Holy Sheild :~5

from this point on i was going to see what was needed most and put point acordingly, and if there were any problems rebuild :eek:

Equipment chosen sofar

Head
    Guillaume's Face (planned socket 15IAS/10~15 All res jewel)

Body
    Guardian Angel (planned socket 15IAS/10~15 All res jewel)

Sheild
    well what else HoZ of course (still waiting to get my hands on but should have very soon. :) (probably socket UM)

Belt
    Undecided but for the moment i have a String

Boots
    Gore Riders

Gloves
    Undecided (could use some advice here also) :)

Jewelry
    Raven Frost
    Rare Dual Leech Ring i found
    Highlords or Maras for Amulet

Weapon
    well we know im stuck here.

ive gotten nearly everything i need and am pretty ready to start playing, (i get so obsessive about doing it right :/ ).

13. sir goatscelot

Ok we have a good picture of what you want to do now. With your current skill selection, you could go with the high end runewords but cost and rarity are issues unless your rich. Famine in zerker axe is good as it's faster than mallet with less str req's. Beast is another option but again repairs etc will cost you and no cold dmg :(. Famine has cold and a bunch of other dmg types. Stormlash would also be great so thats a good option. Schaefers is nice but too slow without proper gear which your not planning on using. Even Stonecrusher with it's 40ias is too slow imho. Nords Tenderizer was mentioned and imho is a wonderful end game weapon, has ias, ar boost, freezes target, monster cold dmg. All this with only ** str req and I believe available by lvl 63 or so? The choice is yours as usual and without changing your skill selection, should work well. Personally, I would go with 20 in sacrifice for more leech, phys dmg etc. There are more cold immunes than phys immunes around.. But this is all mho :)

14. Feydr

Feydr IncGamers Member

Just why exactly would you want gore riders? You wont deal much physical damage anyway, try crafting some blood boots, they'd might give you some nice heavily needed leech. As for gloves, theres really no substitute for draculs. And With a thundergods belt you'd be able to get to 95% lresi which is very nice.

15. sir goatscelot

Gore's have other mods which don't rely on phys dmg ie) crushing blow, open wounds. Cb takes the same % of from monster life regardless of the actual dmg done.., but I could be wrong on that one. The only reason not to use them is if your really need resists, besides, we really should not change too much what others want to use or build.., simply give opinions and let the person make up their own minds :) This is no flame toward you Fedyr :)

16. danc133

danc133 IncGamers Member

How right you are and IIRC CB is factored in before attack damage so would even work on a cold immune as long as the phys dmg wasn't blocked/resisted. The other nice thing is CB and OW can stack in the same attack and the OW scales up with clvl. I just started a frostie ( about lvl25) and I love the combo. I wanted to make him untwinked and only play him on my laptop on the road in SP, but the combo of 33% OW from a blood crescent I found and some blood gloves with 8% CB and 17% LL between the two he's a blast to play.

Back to the topic famine would be my choice for end game. I'd divert a couple points into conviction for cold immunes. I'd say 4-5 +skills would probably be plenty.

First round is on me. :drink: :buddies:

17. Howler

Howler IncGamers Member

thats a quote from the frost zealot guide about CB. when you get the number of hits in zeal does in the time it does and you have a high % CB, it fires off all over the place, dealing a quater damage to a normal mob cant be bad cant it ? :)

with the items ive chosen so far
    Boots
    15% Chance Of Crushing Blow
    Helm
    35% Chance of Crushing Blow

Thats why i was soo intersted in some of the Runeword weapons, they have nice Mods and as a bonus CB, Stormlash, Stone crusher both have CB (Stone Crusher has 40% but thats the only really attractive mod on it)