Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

No reason to wait for a diablo 3

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by I-bring-realm-down, Sep 14, 2006.

1. I-bring-realm-down

I-bring-realm-down Banned

No reason to wait for a diablo 3

Basically if Blizzard came out with Diablo 3, it would just be a name. Since all the guys who made diablo what it is, left, why would anyone get excited over the new Blizard version?

I base this on the Command & Conquer Series. I was a very good game until EA bought out Westwood and the main guy who worked on it (I forget his name) left. EA came out with Generals , which is a decent game, but is so far from being C&C and the story is totally different.

So imagine D3 from Blizzard: There would be a totally different story. No mention is Tristram, Baal, or any of the characters. It would be exactly what EA did to C&C.

I think the REAL Diablo 3 will be that Hellgate game the former Blizz guys are working on and that is what I will most likely play, even if a diablo 3 came out.

Thoughts?

2. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

Blizzard is an amazing company. Their level of quality has always been at the top of the industry. I'm sure they will produce a quality game. It may not have the exact same look and feel as Diablo & Diablo 2, but they will produce a quality game. EA is nothing like Blizzard.

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Just because many of the original makers left is no reason to think Blizz will suddenly release a dud. It's also no reason to think they'll drastically change the storyline either.

4. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

I seriously doubt blizzard releasing a dud when(and if )diablo3 comes out.With Hellgate London on the way the move from D2's original programmers means double the quality games...well hopefully!

5. I-bring-realm-down

I'm not saying it will be a dud, like I said before C&C Generals is a good game, but it is NOT C&C. Diablo 3 may well be a very good game, but I think the original crew who made diablo 2 will come closer to the diablo experience than some new joe's at blizzard.

6. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Now, balancing it is a whole different ball game...

7. BlueOctoberFan

BlueOctoberFan IncGamers Member

No matter how much play-testing is done, there will need to be tweaks, and tweaks, and tweaks, and tweaks, and tweaks, and tweaks, and tweaks....

I think you get the idea. D2 has been around for what, 8 years now? They're still making adjustments. There will always be adjustments to be made, but they've managed to do it while keeping the game interesting and fun to play. I have every hope in the world that a new Diablo will be the same way. They'll have to change things from D2, that's given, else, why release a new game? They could also just make another expansion if they'd want to make big changes, and add a lot of content (I know I'd buy a copy or two).

I'm not sure what I'm getting at exactly, but I know that if they put out D3, play style will change a bit, graphics will likely be dramatically changed, sounds changed, perhaps point-of-view changed, etc. I suppose that what I'm getting at is that the game will be very different, but likely still amazing. I just hope that if and when this hypothetical game would be released, I'll have a computer capable of running it.

8. rykuss

rykuss Banned

I didn't buy Generals but I will say that I thought about it. I'm sure it's a fun game but I was hoping for the third installment of the Tiberium series. (the one announced at present) I was definately bummed to hear Westwood Studios was no more. Since I didn't buy Generals I can't really say for sure if the experience is still there but time will tell when C&C:3 is launched. I'm not particularly thrilled with all of the units they've put in and taken out though. It's still early though and I'm hopeful that things will work themselves out in the end. :wink3:

D3? Let's just say I won't be placing all my eggs in one basket on that one. I guess there's always hope. :undecided:

Kane Lives!!!!!!!!!! :jig:

9. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

so will you be thinking the same way when it is eventually released in 20 years?

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Everyone seems to always exagerate this by at least 2 years.

11. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

to be fair, by the time diablo3 comes out I'm sure all the original developers will have sucumbed to age

12. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

Well, if the rumours are true, the unannounced project is gonna be an RTS. The rumours rose after Blizzard posted a job opportunity for RTS level designer on their site. Some people are speculating on StarCraft 2, but wth, in several months it will be known.

13. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

What makes you think Hellgate London will be the next "Diablo 3"? It won't even be based on the same game lore. Do you know anything about the upcoming title to begin with?

14. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

They also posted a job opening for something I don't remember but implied 3D RPG.

15. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

Aha, Blizzard the mysterious!!! *cough cough* These mysteries are for someone younger.

16. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Have you seen anything to do with Hellgate? It's a far cry from Diablo.

17. BlueOctoberFan

BlueOctoberFan IncGamers Member

In an attempt to clear this up for everyone (myself included), I did a quick search, and it would appear that the release date was circa June 30, 2000. So, it is currently 6 years, 2 months, and 15 or 16 days old, depending on how you look at it (was there a leap year? was it actually the 29th?).

18. I-bring-realm-down

Hellgate from what I was reading is like diablo 2 in 3D. Lots of similarities..

Cabalist-necro
    Templar-Pally

Itemization seems to be similar. It will not be exact but will be IMHO better then a diablo 3 made by these new devs.

19. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

When they release D3 I hope they make it far more dark and evil like Diablo1 was. Diablo2 is a great game, dont get me wrong, but it is just not as dark and sinister as the first Diablo.

20. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

I say they dont release it at all unless they can stop duping. Whats the point of MFing when there are items that go for 50 hr? <--saw this yesterday.

(Sound of the economy falling) CRASH! Tinkle....