no portal to pindleskin ? did quest though

Noctes

Diabloii.Net Member
no portal to pindleskin ? did quest though

i did the nilhatak quest, so i had once the portal, then now that i killed him the portal is no more. Is it intended to prevent runs ?

i'll think about that for my next character

didn't do the ancient with my meteorb, she can't stand a chance against them, and noone joins my game to help

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Red portal is intended to let you go to Nihlathak.
It stays open until you do both take a Halls o Pain WP and kill Nihlathak (quest). If you will do only one of these thing, the red prtal will still remain open.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
pindle runs are pretty easy without the portal, go to Halls of Pain wp and work you way up to Nihlathak's Temple, careful when running into pindle, hes right next to the exit from Halls of Anguish

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
I took the wp Halls of Pain and didn't kill nilathak, saved the game, created a new one and the portal was gone. Then I killed nilathak with an other character without catching the wp. After creating a new game the portal was gone too and the wp Halls of Pain was activated.
I'am playing on the realms so.

Stax

Diabloii.Net Member
When u kill nilathak but u dont open waypoint portal will still be there :)
when u open a way point, u got other way to get to nilathak, so anya closes the portal...

if u would just do nilathak, and not open portal, how would u get to him anyway?

so its all about waypoint :p

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
Stax said:
When u kill nilathak but u dont open waypoint portal will still be there :)
nope, not on the realms. maybe in sp. If you are sure then testing is no risk:wink2:
For the others: Killing Nilathak activate the wp anyway and therefore the red portal will disapear.

Stax said:
if u would just do nilathak, and not open portal, how would u get to him anyway?
no one was talking about not opening the red portal first.

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
seralph said:
I took the wp Halls of Pain and didn't kill nilathak, saved the game, created a new one and the portal was gone. Then I killed nilathak with an other character without catching the wp. After creating a new game the portal was gone too and the wp Halls of Pain was activated.
I'am playing on the realms so.

I just tested it on USWest. I used a char that had neither the waypoint or nith quest, and after getting him the waypoint I remade (without killing nith) and the red portal remained.

I'm going to test killing Nith without grabbing the waypoint later as bnet appears to be going slighly laggy. I believe that it doesn't automatically give you the waypoint, as it never did.

seralph

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks in advance for testing it, Orphan.

I testet it last october with both chars on hell in Europe softcore ladder and was realy disapointed not to be able making keyruns und have the red portal open at the same time

EDIT: testet it again, as I killed nila without taking the wp, this time the portal remaind. what a surprise.

Stax

Diabloii.Net Member
seralph said:
nope, not on the realms. maybe in sp. If you are sure then testing is no risk:wink2:
either was it on sp or realms, if u have not open the waypoint, red portal stays
look down ??

seralph said:
no one was talking about not opening the red portal first.
sorry, i have said it wrong
i meaned, if u would kill nihlathak and not open the waypoint , and then red portal dissapears, how would u get to nihlathak again?

SirDooFuss

Diabloii.Net Member
If you hit the waypoint in the Halls of Pain at any point (previous or current game) AND kill Nilly (previous or current game), red portal is lost forever for that character in that dificulty. It doesn't have to happen in the same game. If you kill Nilly in one nightmare game with that character and then hit the Halls of Pain waypoint in another nightmare game with that character, the waypoint is lost.

If that character has only killed Nilly OR only hit the waypoint...ever... the red portal will remail open.

I know, clear as mud.:tongue:

Stax

Diabloii.Net Member
heh, if u would only click on waypoint, red portal will be lost...

at least so were at me... i think :D

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
Stax said:
heh, if u would only click on waypoint, red portal will be lost...

at least so were at me... i think :D
As other people have noted in this thread, you are incorrect. You have to both collect the waypoint AND kill Nihlathak (receiving the quest) for the red portal to close. Just gaining the waypoint is not enough to close the portal.

SirDooFuss

Diabloii.Net Member
Overall, I think we're better off without the red portal. Pindy, although capable of dropping decent stuff, does not compare to Nilly. Nilly is much more generous. Further, now that we must get to Nilly to get D keys, most of us have figured out strategies that don't involve too much risk to life and limb. :thumbsup: But what to do with those personalization rewards???:shocked:

humblegar

Diabloii.Net Member
Just did this yesterday, confirmed that the portal is still there after the kill, I did not touch the waypoint.

Is it just me or is that zone incredibly ugly, and in addition contains some of the most boring mobs in the game?