no picture = dead?

VictorHugo

Diabloii.Net Member
no picture = dead?

I was mfing in hell last night when i lagged out i exited quickly and this morning i see there is no picture next to my sorc I think it means she is dead and gone, but someone please tell me im wrong

Manago

Diabloii.Net Member
There's a way of preventing that from happening eh?

You can do it manually (soooo tedious) or get a program that will auto-copy a file to a different location at the push of a button.

When you enter a game, copy your saved char file to a different place, then if you lag, bail out of bnet and the game entirely (alt+f4). It's quite possible that you've been killed in the game, so now you take the copied file that you had made when you entered the game, put it in the saved char file (replace) and log back in. Voila, you're alive!

*Actually works during really laggy times [and only if you bail out], if you try to do this when bnet is fine you'll just end up seeing your death message before you can quit.

**Unless of course you're using some kind of chicken mod that automatically does this all... But then why play HC?

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
There's a way of preventing that from happening eh?

You can do it manually (soooo tedious) or get a program that will auto-copy a file to a different location at the push of a button.

When you enter a game, copy your saved char file to a different place, then if you lag, bail out of bnet and the game entirely (alt+f4). It's quite possible that you've been killed in the game, so now you take the copied file that you had made when you entered the game, put it in the saved char file (replace) and log back in. Voila, you're alive!

*Actually works during really laggy times [and only if you bail out], if you try to do this when bnet is fine you'll just end up seeing your death message before you can quit.

**Unless of course you're using some kind of chicken mod that automatically does this all... But then why play HC?
I'm actually quite confused by this statement. First of all it sounds rather suspicious... you know, like cheating? You will of course say "but it's only to avoid dieing to lag which isn't a fair way to die anyway." And I will have to admit that that is true, but if you are going to play on b.net then it's one of the things you have to get used to. You know, if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen? Why not play Single Player if you don't like lag? So if you are going to back-up your characters in case they die, then why play HC at all? Seems like you are just playing SC except you want the bragging rights of HC

Second of all, since when could you replace your character on the b.net server? I mean keeping a back-up of him you could conceivable do, and even playing him in Single Player or on Open B.net after he dies could be possible. But unless you have a key to the room where Blizzard keeps its Closed b.net servers I don't see how you could possible replace your dead character with a backed up one. Once you're dead... you're dead, if you could get around it then it would defeat the purpose of playing HC and hey... then your just playing SC but with a different name so why not play SC?

Your double Astrix at the end there is a true enough statement. If you aren't playing HC the way it's meant to be played then why play HC at all? But it seems a little hypocritical of what you said in the rest of the post which is basically, "here is a way to get around the dieing part of HC."

-hps

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
Your character is stored server-side. If you die on the server, you're dead. No amount of copying and pasting of files on your own computer can circumvent this.

Manago

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm actually quite confused by this statement. First of all it sounds rather suspicious... you know, like cheating? You will of course say "but it's only to avoid dieing to lag which isn't a fair way to die anyway." And I will have to admit that that is true, but if you are going to play on b.net then it's one of the things you have to get used to. You know, if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen? Why not play Single Player if you don't like lag? So if you are going to back-up your characters in case they die, then why play HC at all? Seems like you are just playing SC except you want the bragging rights of HC

Second of all, since when could you replace your character on the b.net server? I mean keeping a back-up of him you could conceivable do, and even playing him in Single Player or on Open B.net after he dies could be possible. But unless you have a key to the room where Blizzard keeps its Closed b.net servers I don't see how you could possible replace your dead character with a backed up one. Once you're dead... you're dead, if you could get around it then it would defeat the purpose of playing HC and hey... then your just playing SC but with a different name so why not play SC?

Your double Astrix at the end there is a true enough statement. If you aren't playing HC the way it's meant to be played then why play HC at all? But it seems a little hypocritical of what you said in the rest of the post which is basically, "here is a way to get around the dieing part of HC."

-hps
Just putting forth a possibility, personally I'm fine with someone playing with protection against lag related deaths, after a while you just don't die to lag [merc not moving, can't pick up things *save+quit*] if you haven't played enough to pick up the signs yet but still like the rest of the HC playing time, then you can do this.

Yes I'm aware that the characters are held server-side, they still have a buffer that checks against your own saved files though. You can log in from any computer if it has the character files or not, so Bnet will look at it's own files and copy them to your saved folder, if however you do have char files it does a check to make sure it's the right name/server, then checks the time stamp. If you joined a game at 12:00, backed your char up at 12:15, played in brutal lag until 12:30 where you bailed out if you used the back-up character file you'll come back as if you were at 12:15.

Have you ever been in lag, then joined a new game to find yourself rolled back like 20 minutes? That's because the server lagged out and had to take a older version of your save file off their server. However, it will also do a check to see if a newer char file was saved on your computer, way back before the ladder season I remember this was one of the ways they got hacked items into the game (they'd purposely lag in a game, then bail out, edit the char files so they suddenly have crazy things log back in) blizzard would just take your newer saved char file as ''good'' and use that. They've patched it so no items can be changed when such a check takes place, so all you can do now is stats/skills (which obviously if you suddenly have 200 vit and haven't leveled will be caught) and the live/dead state of your char.

The reason you see ''no picture'' is because when you join/leave a game, you update your char's save file, blizzard updates their server char files mid-game (don't remember exact time delay), if you update your char file mid-game [this would be the cheating part, so I guess I can't say how that's done :rolleyes: ] slightly after blizzard does theirs, you will have the copy that gets used when you log back in. When you ''bail out'' it rarely does a hard-save to the servers (won't do it at all when experiencing lag) so when you come back on with a newer save than what they have, the basic char info (stats/skills/life-death-state) is copied to the blizz server.

So yeah, you could get a program to time when blizzard updates theirs and then have a copy made 2 seconds after and never die to lag again (or you could do it manually). Saying that it's wrong to take measures against lag seems a little hypocritical as well :scratch: copying .mpq files over so it doesn't delay during shenk/speeches doesn't seem like something you do when making a clean install :wink3:

I don't because I have played far too much and just ''know'' when I'm lagging, but I'd hope not everyone can do that :laugh:

Manago

Diabloii.Net Member
...and to clarify, this is on closed bnet, you can test it when you're in the middle of wave-after-wave of lag, just make a level 1, level him to level 2, join a game, back-up your char, die, DC out, copy file back in, log on, voila.