Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

No one's posted a Condoleeza thread yet today...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Technetium, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

No one's posted a Condoleeza thread yet today...

Condoleeza Rice gave her testimony for the 9/11 comission today. Talk radio stations had the whole thing on live (Funny, though, that it was a BBC broadcast on NPR). I thought it was fairly interesting, even entertaining at times. I was surprised that Rice as well as several of the people making up the panel had the authority to spontaneously declassify information on live broadcast as they seemed to. I thought there always had to be some kind of committee to make that decision. There were a few people asking questions (a Senator "Robert" Kerry, in particular) who really tore her a new one. She tried very hard at times to evade the questions. Often the questions only required a yes or no, but she would often answer "Well, first let me talk about..." Some of the people posing questions put up with this, while other's called her on it right away and requested over and over that she just answer the question.

Anyone else follow this, and have any thoughts on it?

2. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

I watched the first hour or so then got bored and took a nap. I saw that Kerry guy you were talking about rip her up though. I kind of felt bad for her, I blame Bush not her. I can't wait to see them go at Bush, too bad he is with Cheney because he can't handle it alone and needs someone to tell him what to say and if I recall they are not taking the oath, suspicious?

3. Stark_

Stark_ IncGamers Member

I think it's no surprise that Bush isn't speaking alone. He doesn't do very well in unscripted situations. And it's unusual for ANY president to go under oath unless it's legit legal investigation pertaining directly to them (though the Clinton deal blurs the "legit" line).

4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

The Sept. 11 panel is just political masturbation. Instead of trying to place the blame on Clin-ton or Texas Souffle, maybe addressing the security failures and making sure they don't happen again would be a good idea. Or we can wrap ourselves in the flag and continue bickering. Whatever, I've stopped caring. I'll be pleasantly surprised if 1) the final report comes out before November and 2) there is any new information in the report.

It's been almost 3 years. Just think, without the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, Texas Souffle wouldn't have a single issue to campaign on. Man, he may be reelected based on a tragedy. Cool.

America uber Alles.

5. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

Isn't a commission like this, if it isn't neutered by the party in power (regarding things like declassification in particular), quite a useful tool in identifying the security failures in question?

6. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

i didn't think this would happen anytime soon but I'm with maccool on this one. this country needs to accept that this happened and keep it from happening again...not run around pointing fingers. blaming bush or blaming clinton is not going to fix this...if anyone had really known this was coming they would've stopped it. we didn't connect the dots that time...from here on out we need to start.

Mac won't agree with me here but ridding afghanistan and iraq of the terroriss was a good start...now the hard part comes. how do we get them out of iran, sryia and saudia arabia? how could we help indonesia? what are we going to do about north korea? what about pakistan? what about the whole isreal debacle? terrorists are everywhere. we can't invade any other countries. iraq we had a legal way through the UN but the US does not have th resources, the will or the right to go anywhere else.

7. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Invading Afghanistan is fine. You won't find many people upset about that (except perhaps for Pushtun tribals, and maybe the odd Quaker).

Invading Iraq was unbelievably stupid. They didn't have terrorists before, and now we're creating new terrorists faster than we can possibly kill or incarcerate, we're diverting resources from the real fight and we've alienated almost all of our traditional allies. It's pretty much a disaster by every possible measure one can think of.

8. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

She scares me. Every CNN photo I see of her makes her look terminally pissed.

10. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

More like a useful tool in influencing presidential elections. The Dems are trying to use this to hurt the Reps, and the Reps are trying to use it to hurt the Dems.

Politicians are shameless.

11. th5418

th5418 Banned

Ahh yes I saw this before school on 3 channels. Yeah, didn't understand what she was saying.

12. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

This is just kind of a funny observation i've made lately. In this case (from a leftist perspective) you think Kerrey(there was an "e" in there) tore her a new one. To me, he just seemed like a bitter a-hole (a more rightist perspective on my part). She tried to answer his questions more in depth for him and he would keep interrupting, whining like a little girl about his time limit. Then would laugh during all of her answers (great sign of respect) He couldn't even get her name right =/.

From my point of view, she did great, and made him look dumb. But from yours, she was the idiot.

Hmmm.. and people wonder why things dont get done =/.

But yeah, all in all im with maccool and stevinator here. It happened... let's move on and work to make sure it doesn't happen again. When Pearl Harbor hit, they waited til AFTER the war to start an investigation committee. I don't think it's wise to divide the nation in two during war times... it's just not a smart idea imo. I sense rough times for the United States ahead... very rough times, because it seems out nation is more divided then ever (except for The Civil War of course)... and people appear to be bickering more then ever. Humm.... troubled times we live in yes?

13. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the broadsiding and wreckage of Shrub's presidency, but these public hearings have become a nonproductive, blatantly partisan dog and pony show IMO.

14. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I too watched it before school, but since I was so tired all that I heard was dgjgdngripngpkngpknrgn and iongoiroing'oingige so jbgdsngng.

15. swami

swami Banned

what terroriss?:scratch:

16. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You might be surprised. It turns out I'm sorta rational. Who knew?

Afghanistan was perfectly acceptable, it was known that the regime in charge there harbored and supported terrorist acts against the U.S. Iraq, not so much. Like Underseer said, the invasion of Iraq, though with the best intentions (eventually), was made under initially false pretenses. I don't believe that the ends justify the means.

I agree, although I'm sure someone here will dispute your assertion about our will and rights to invade any sovereign nation we choose. Hell, we even have terrorists here in the good old USA; the right-wing lunatic fringe comes to mind.

I'll repeat this, because it's important. Blaming each other for an event that was not preventable doesn't solve anything. It may make you (the general you, not a specific person) feel superior and patriotic, but you're wrong.

17. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Things like that are often done intentionally.

18. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Still... she has one hell of a scowl.

19. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

yeah but smeg is not blowing things up...just terrorizing this forum...:)

seriously, yeah there's terrorists everywhere. it's a problem. but when the terrorist groups start talking to each other and organizing helping fund each other and gain teh support of governments. even take over countries and killl thousands of people you have a different problem than a cult with a gun collection.

AQ controlled afganistan, had support from several rogue states and was launching increasingly stronger and bolder attacks against non-muslim countries...esp the US. I'd rather focus on them right now than those kooks in montana (or where ever). sure we shouldn't ignore all the other terrorists but some groups are more active and more dangerous than others.

20. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Sadly, it usually takes a tragedy of epic proportions to find out which groups are most dangerous. Oh well, I reckon as long as we use vigilance instead of paranoia as our keyword, things will work out in the end.