Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

No more rushing

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by I-bring-realm-down, Oct 3, 2006.

1. I-bring-realm-down

I-bring-realm-down Banned

No more rushing

I think one way of having a new ladder/patch work well is to finish what the boys and girls at blizzard did a half baked job at:

Making people go through every quest in every act.

Their half baked attempt includes needing to , for example, have a complete flail to smash the orb in act3. It was then figured out all you had to do was kill the council then you could take a wp to durance 2.

Also in act 5, all it requires to get to baal is killing ancients.

They should make it so you must do every single quest in each act to proceed. This would put a halt on rushing, at least slow it down for a bit.

However, instead of making it boring, up the rewards for the quest. For example:

For gibdinn quest: make it a 1/100 chance to give a nagle/manald in norm, 1/250 chance to get soj/dwarf/raven in nm, 1/500 chance to get wisp/carrion/bk ring etc in hell.

Make it possible to gamble for runes, giving money meaning again as well as slow down duping.

up the runes given from the baba quest. maybe ko/fal/IO or something somewhat useful.

Just a few examples to make quests worth while and to make people have to go through every act.

2. Brona

Brona IncGamers Member

umm..NT. Well, really the only act I totally hate is 3. Going thru all the flayer crap is pointless.

However, you have to do 90% of A2 to advance and it doesn't take all that long to do. So, A nigma HDIN would still make short work of flayer and everything else. It would take longer sure, but not that much.

What they need to do is expand the mandatory levels for each act/difficulty. You already can't do ancients until your level 20. You can glitch it though, which is stupid. THey should check the players level against the quest, and if you aren't high enough, you don't get it.

It would though make forge a LOT more valuable if your rushing a full room.

3. xix sephra

xix sephra IncGamers Member

forge isnt based on char level ^_^...
    diablo would be dead if they removed rushing.. nobody has time to do this crap all day unless your in like highschool..

ps. quests blow after your 10000th char rushed and used... act2 is why maphack was made... who likes finding the maggot lair ....

4. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

Long ago I had this idea

Act three, quest six should requirement of quest three completion, and act five, quest six should have one of quest five. Logically, you shouldn't be able to complete either act without following the storyline. Rite of Passage should then have monster levels of 30/60/90, which means in order to receive full credit for them you'd need to be an equal level to get full experience, or full credit, for them.

What this means is you must be CLvl31 to progress to Baal and then nightmare, then CLvl61 for Baal and hell. Making the forges MLvls 40/80/120 would allow one rune, up to Shael, and five random gems, up to flawed, to drop in normal; up to Vex and five gems up to flawless in nightmare; up to Zod and five perfect or lower gems. As long as you level your character to 61 you get a shot at mid to upper rare runes.

5. I-bring-realm-down

I understand it gets repetitive, but you have to go through act 2 and people just got used to it. I'm saying if you make the rewards better in the quests and make it so you have to at least do the main ones, it would be more fun :) Why play the game then just to have someone rush you to hell?

6. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

What the hell does that mean? No one has time to do that crap? You mean like they have time to do baal runs, mf runs, key runs, organ runs, torch runs? It's not like it requires a continous 3 hour block of time to a quest. And guess what? That's what WoW is, and there's a lot people playing it.

7. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

You mean I don't have to do every quest????

DOH!!! (_8^(|)

The ring rewards (Akara, Gidbin) are fine as far as I'm concerned.

However, there are 3 quest rewards I'd like to change.

1) Charsi's imbue should have a chance of being a unique or set item. I've not had a decent imbue since before LOD was released.

2) Anya's class specific gift should also have a shot at being a class specific set or unique item. I've NEVER had a reward from her I haven't immediately sold for gold.

3) The rune reward in Act 5 for rescueing the barbs are supposed to be used to make a shield runeword. How about a chance for something other than Ancient's Pledge? How about any shield runeword? How about Dream or Spirit (for Ladder)? or Sanctuary or Exile for non ladder?

Just a chance is all I ask, and it wouldn't change the spirit of the rewards. :soapbox:

8. I-bring-realm-down

I do not get the mindset of most of the people who play. Rush to hell with a lv 1 char, get chaos'd till lv xx then baal runs to lv xx. I actually like going through act 3. I think it would make alot of people happy though if they made the quests, like gibdinn, mean something. Having a chance for ormus to give an soj would deliver lots more incentive to do that quest.

Also, being able to gamble for runes and jewels would eliminate alot of duping since it would be easier to get runes. Personally, I would love to save up 2 mil in gold and have say 10 chances to gamble runes and get, say and ohm out of it, just like people sometimes gamble and get a maras.

I mean if people are gonna dupe runes anyway, why not make the odds of HR drops/gambles more favorable? At least this way they would be legit.

The ring rewards may be ok, but like you mentioned, it would be nice to have a chance on getting a unique on top of that :)

9. BloZ

BloZ IncGamers Member

I don't know how many times I said this but... Blizzard should NOT remove rushing.

Main reason is PvP. What if you just want to restart a PvPer? Do you really want to pass the game 3 more times just for a little stat or skill change? Or simply because you want to try a new build? No way.

Second reason: Let's say you have... eight characters. To get all of them to Hell and become Patriarch/Matriarch, you must finish the game 24 times. That is if you don't count the time spent searching for items. I think I'd fall asleep after the second character...

The problem is that you would have to pass the same game many many times... I have finished the game often by going through all quests (when I couldn't get a rush), and I can't say it's my favorite part of the game. Alright, so it's fun the first time, but wait until you get to the 16th time. Not as interesting.

If you want to pass the game as it was meant to be, go ahead, nothing is going to ruin your fun as long as you don't get advanced waypoints. I don't see why other people getting rushed would bother you.

In other words, if Blizzard removed rushing, they would lose a lot of players on Battle.net, including myself.

10. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

So high school students have all the time in the world to play?

11. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

No one wants to play all the acts/quests anymore. The game isnt replayable in that way, it never was.
    All anyone/everyone cares about is getting your character to lvl 75+ as fast as possible and start mf'ing for all that "elite" gear we so desperately want.

Thats why we plan the game you know... not because we are just so excited run around the flayer jungle again with a bunch of midgets shooting spit balls at us, all in a desperate attempt to find some stupid knife. We play the game to create a character and equip him with powerful items.

12. BloZ

BloZ IncGamers Member

Good point. :thumbsup:

I like playing the game to try some characters out and equip them with the best items, not to do the same quests over and over and over...

PvM loses its interest quickly, as it gets repetitive. That's why players turn to PvP. There is a lot more competition. You need good gear, and to get good gear, you must find stuff, and to find stuff, the best way is to MF! That's why (most) people prefer spending hours MFing instead of doing quests.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Have you ever looked in the single player forum? 10s of thousands of people still play D2 single player. And please don't include me in your blanket statements. Playing through every quest with 7 people is my favorite part of the game. Do you really enjoy waiting for a hamerdin to make a tp to the throne, and then standing there while he kills everything?

All this complaining about the game being too hard, and constant "get me to hell baal so I can watch hammerdins kill lister ASAP" stuff is starting to make me think single player is where the good players are.

14. I-bring-realm-down

Agreed, if your idea of fun is to sit in games and wait for tp's while a lv 90 kills everything and not do one single quest, then you should not be playing diablo. Most of the fun is making a fresh new build which you have never done before, equipping him with nice lowbie gear, then chewing things up with him/her.

I liked making my frost zealot and going through the game slow, waiting to equip my next best weapon/armor. I like making my summoner necro and sitting there watching my skeles kill while I sit back and watch the fun.

I make my mf char first and sure I do get a rush here and there, but when I start making my fun characters, that is when I like to play through every act and do every quest. I do not mind doing baal runs, but I do not like it when some lv 90 comes and tells me to sit in a corner. I like to test my new builds in every act.

People may not play my style, but I'm just not sure how much fun it is to have lv 90's do everything.

15. BloZ

BloZ IncGamers Member

If you like going through the game, go for it! Noone is going to stop you from doing this on Battle.net. Some people need to level fast because they want to try a build, but don't have the time to level up as they go through the game, so they skip to the acts where you level the fastest. Baalruns are boring but pretty much the only way to level once you're level 90+.

What do you mean by good? A player who doesn't get rushed? Then know that there ARE "good" players on Battle.net. Take Hardcore for example. They can't just rush through the game, or they get killed.

Not because I get rushed means I'm a bad player.

My fun is to try character builds and see which one is the best, and playing untwinked is not how I'll achieve this. I just like competition and trying to get the best of the best, and that's true in all games I play. But does that mean I shouldn't play Diablo II, just because I don't like the quests I find repetitive? Not at all.

16. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Indeed.

I mean people who can make a good character that can beat hell alone (or work well within a group), using whatever gear they have available, as in someone who doesn't need fancy runewords to play the game.

17. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Part of the fun is learning to work a build and teaming up with other people to get trough the places your build can't go alone. Every build has their own strengths so the quests are different for every build.
    Maybe if you only make hammerdins it could get repetative, but who would just keep making the same build ? It's a chalenge to fight your way trough acts with far less then the maxed skills you had on your other character. It is also the best way to learn what your character/build's weaknesses are and how to deal with them.

For those who like to rush, I advise a game called Progress Quest. It's almost exactly like Diablo, but it's more focussed towards players who don't have time to do all those repetative quests. Google for it, download it, play it, love it.

18. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

When I first started playing diablo2 I full cleared all areas start to finish.Played untwinked single player and thoroughly enjoyed it all.

When I realised there were better/different builds,all I wanted to do was try them.This meant not so much going through the game ,seeing the story unfold but getting to a level where i could use gear and skills and getting there fast!

This game has evolved in that there are a huge number of builds available and the high runewords make this more so.Try building a zon around a wrath bow for example or a dual dream drago/hoj auradin.The runewords are fun to have and if using them on a powerful build then rushing is the way to go.Get there fast and enjoy the godly gear.

For a challenge its fun to play through the game untwinked killing everything and sharing with a group or just soloing.If this is your thing then rushing is obsolete.This style of play requires lots of skill,patience, time and ultimately gives more satisfaction.

19. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

I agree with the original poster.

They simply need to make it impossible to join any nitemare games unless you are 30 and any hell games unless you are 60. Seeing lvl 15's in hell riding coattails of ppl to gain xp, and then wondering why they die every 2 seconds is annoying.

Removing the glitches to rushing would solve the problems. Making it so that no one below the lvl cap at all, in town or not, partied or not, can get credit for the ancients.

20. I-bring-realm-down

That takes the fun out of the game. Why not just go on ebay and buy one of those premade characters that are lv 85 and have no skill points spent? Basically it is the same thing.