Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

No mention of free battle.net play?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by calories, Jun 28, 2008.

1. calories

calories IncGamers Member

No mention of free battle.net play?

Or did I miss it somewhere?

I may come off like a cheap-o here, but a subscription fee could very well turn me off from playing this game.

2. Deetox

Deetox IncGamers Member

Re: No mention of free battle.net play?

I concour.

3. Meenah

Meenah IncGamers Member

It doesn't look like an mmo to me, judging from the top-camera view and if it isn't an MMO, monthly fees would be worthless.

4. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Well I think it will be free. Afterall I guess SC2 on Bnet will be free too right?

The only real restriction that could happen, and I would not care, is to make each cd-key to have only one account.

5. Meenah

Meenah IncGamers Member

Yeah, I agree with Kiro here. I think they know that the diablo playerbase is completely different than WoW and we don't want a Diablo MMO aka pay-to-play.

If you want diablo mmo, then the WoW expansion will be gothic and dark, right for your needs :p

6. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

I damnwell better be pay-once.

7. Meenah

Meenah IncGamers Member

I am actually prepared to state that I strongly believe it will NOT be a monthly fee. Why? Scrolling down the official Diablo 3 site I see the Battle.Net logo. As Blizzard themselves does NOT host the battle.net servers, a monthly fee is not likely. For instance, in Europe, the company Telia hosts the Battle.net servers.

8. Cwicseolfor

Cwicseolfor IncGamers Member

Perhaps, but Blizzard has said they have not yet decided on the fee structure.

The very fact that there is anything to decide irks me.

9. Kev

Kev IncGamers Member

i heard battle.net will run the online system again, so most likely free.

10. jleezy0

jleezy0 IncGamers Member

I think it'd be just like diablo II. Buy the game, use the cd key to acces BNET.
    I mean, battle net has never been Pay to play. Warcraft and Starcraft was all just buy the game and play the Bnet. I don't think we'll have to worry about paying monthly subscription fees

11. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

Everyone here knows damned well, that if they have some minor pay system, they will play. Posturing is futile. IF you won't pay, you won't be gaming in the future in a multiplayer environment.

I've wished it would be pay for years as it would push the level of the community higher. but, knowing Blizzard, I wouldn't be too worried. I'll be surprised if D3 Ships with a pay requirement.

I could see them offering auction house like services for a couple bucks a month or something. Everyone else could trade the old way.

I highly doubt I'll do my trading anywhere but here.

12. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

With respect, I'd like to say that before I played WoW, I was vehemently opposed tp pay-to-play gaming, even making bold oaths on this website about how I would die before doing so....

Well, I am still alive, and a hypocrite, I guess. I love WoW, I know a lot of people don't, and that's cool, but it has been a lot of fun for me, and the cost to pay? I never even think about it.

At first I did, wondering if it was worth it; but the game is so immense, so much to do, that it takes quite a long time to get stale, certainly a lot longer than you mind paying for it.

And it is certainly true that the player base is more mature, though there are exceptions, because let's face it, some parents just give kids whatever they want. That aside, you are always aware that you and everyone around you is paying for their time, and they respect you and vice versa.

I wouldn't pay for a D2 style game though; there isn't nearly enough content to justify it.

13. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

If DIII involves a monthly, I'll stick to DII and HG:L unsubbed, tyvm...

14. Q33

Q33 IncGamers Member

Hehe, Im going to make one of those bold oaths that other people seem to have broken...if D3 is pay to play in any way, even a minor fee, I will not buy it. And what you say is true...I won't be gaming in the the future of multiplayer environment. I am pretty much already done with gaming, and the only game I would buy right when it comes out is Diablo 3, simply because of the fond memories I have of D2. I haven't bought a new game since Warcraft 3 first came out, and that was 5 years ago.

15. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

DIII has already been confirmed as single player and multiplayer, so a strict MMO-system is already out. I'd say either free, or a small fee. Both ways I'm playing. $20/month, and I'm only doing single player.

16. Akse

Akse Banned

If they aren't making any kind of content patches.. the monthly fee is not there i suppose. I just hope they keep enough people around d3 to make sure it will be updated enough and keep away cheats.

17. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

i believe they said they're undecided. if there is a fee, it will most likely be in china and korea,where many people play in internet cafe's, and because of gaming laws, which prevent people from getting addicted.

or so i heard.

regardless. blizzard knows the diablo community is different from the wow community, they must have learned that in those 4 years. it's still like 50,000 people playing d2 on bnet (europe server) and they don't care about wow at all.

so the challenge for them is to create a game which doesn't require a fee, but can also be run online for many years, with only a small maintenance.

18. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Personally I don't want to game in a MP environment. I want to play either solo or with friends I trust who I know are legitimate, courteous players over TCP/IP. I don't see why I should pay if I'm not using their servers. And I don't want to use their servers. The way HG:L did MP was idiotic.

I disagree. There are good guys and bad guys and idiots all around; paying for it doesn't eliminate them. WoW is paid for by kids' parents from pocket money. People who work don't have time to play enough to justify the cost - or I don't - and those who don't work, don't have the cash.

Pay to play does not equal players with an IQ above their shoe size.

It does give lower ping, ingame Moderators and better chance of updates.

19. ezrider2

ezrider2 IncGamers Member

I think they mentioned they will be revamping Battle.net for the new games, and it will contain alot of new features for cooperative / competitive play (D3 - SC2).

Seeing as how FSS has a pay-for-features for Hellgate, I'm wondering if Blizz will do the same for D3. The world of Sanctuary is huge. So I wonder if they would open extra parts of the world, or new end-game quest (and loot) to those who pay a fee. Same as some end-game / items are only avail on b.net in D2 closed/ladder.

20. Reth

Reth IncGamers Member

To be honest I hope they either choose a fee or no fee not both. If they had a mp system Like HG:L I would always feel jipped and always decide to pay. I would rather they didn't have a fee though.