Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

No idea how to play, guide please?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ColdCrow, Aug 9, 2016.

1. ColdCrow

ColdCrow IncGamers Member

Hello fans of Diablo 2!. I'm doing this thread today seeking help.

My current problem at the moment is that i don't have a clue on how to get started on a build, I have killed one time the last boss (I think it was called Baal?) on my first playthrough after that i "advanced" to Nightmare and then it was impossible.

In conclusion the main point on this thread is for your help asking a guide for beginners, Thanks!

2. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

welcome

Would be helpful to know what class you are playing with

3. ColdCrow

It's with a Necromancer, but i don't really care if i have to do a new char tbh

4. Vildecor

Vildecor IncGamers Member

This is one of the links from the Mat/Pat/Guardian compilation sticky. It's very handy for starting out with any class.

Begginer's Guide to Build Selection

The Fishymancer is the first one listed under Necromancer and is usually one of the easier builds to solo the game with. I'm not sure if there are any other general beginner's guides to Diablo II around here somewhere or not. If so, I imagine someone might come along and point you in that direction.

And welcome to the SPF!

ColdCrow likes this.
  5. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Here's the Fishymancer (Summoner Necromancer) guide which is a good starter character and also a good one to learn about the game with.

Additional guides for some of the other aspects can be found here and, of course, you can always ask specific questions as you need to.

Lastly, the Mat/Pat/Guardian thread has both suggested guides and tons of build writeups.

ColdCrow likes this.
  6. ColdCrow

I'll check right away, Thanks a lot both of you!

7. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

All you need is 1 pt in cold arrow (or whatever the first cold arrow skill is as an amazon) and then sit in the cave (in the cold plains). Make sure to stay on level 1, not level 2, and to bring a couple of rogue mercs with you. Then, you just wait until an adventurer shows up and try to kill them.

8. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

It's probably in the guide Vildecor linked to, but it's important to specialize. Don't spread your skill points all over the place, but decide which skills you want to use and max them, as well as (some) synergies.

Good luck.

ColdCrow likes this.
  9. Vildecor

Vildecor IncGamers Member

It took me a little bit, but I finally got it.

ColdCrow and pharphis like this.
  10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I would start a blizzard sorceress. That's what I always did when I still played on battlenet and a new ladder season has begun. Sorceresses can teleport which is very useful in order to visit many bosses and she can kill well while wearing lots of items with a magic find bonus. Regarding the specialization, blizzard has lots of synergies and deals tremendous damage, even when not having the best gear.

Of course, she cannot deal with cold immune monsters, but there are areas in hell mode with almost none of them and that's what you are going to visit, of course. As long as you cannot afford fancy stuff like the Enigma runeword (allows non-sorceresses to teleport, but needs very rare runes), sorceresses are also by far the quickest at reaching and killing particular magic find targets, in particular Andariel and Mephisto, the most awesome bosses to visit for bread and butter items.

She will provide quality items at the fastest pace. Those few characters who are better than her at finding stuff need very expensive gear (Enigma, see above) and those who also perform well with poor gear (like a summon necromancer) are clearly slower at producing items.

There's nothing wrong with getting used to other characters at an early point, but once you are through nightmare, you usually need items from a particular selection which is when your magic find character comes into play again.

ColdCrow likes this.
  11. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

I agree with others - Fishymancer is a great option for beginners. You can win the game with mediocre gear. Mine one started from nothing (untwinked) and he's doing quite well in act 5 hell. Just don't abandon him after the hard beginning as summon necro has a very rough beginning (slow, low dmg skeletons). Mine ones are summoned at lvl 30 and I still crave for more :)

ColdCrow likes this.
  12. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I couldn't agree more. Blizzard sorcs have it all: fast leveling to endgame, very good mf options, likewise for runes (LK, Trav, Cows) and very fast leveling at end game. And they already work well with easy to obtain gear like Spirit sword, Lore helm, splendor or rhyme shield, ...

ColdCrow likes this.
  13. d2fan

d2fan IncGamers Member

imo boner, or summonboner can be ok too

doesnt need much to kick ass, and you can slam topaz on him

if he wears the +mana after kill staff CE gets pretty hilarious

ColdCrow likes this.
  14. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Mine used to melee with that poor wand in A1 normal at the beginning to speed the things a bit. His AR was too poor to let him safely fight monsters in late A1 and later.

ColdCrow likes this.
  15. d2fan

d2fan IncGamers Member

then buy him an axe for 1000 gold pieces, or scepter (with no mods on it)

with amplified damage necro is not completly lost before he gets his skills

ColdCrow likes this.
  16. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I prefer to start with a trapsin - lightning sentry and fire blast to get the first few corpses, then death sentry to clear the screen. Cloak of shadows and mindblast for crowd control, fade for resists and/or burst of speed for, well, speed. The best claws can be shopped for with some patience. A decent pit runner, pretty good pindleskin runner, and an excellent Baal runner. Not great at running Mephisto, though.

ColdCrow likes this.
  17. RadTang

RadTang IncGamers Member

Haven't thought on that, thx :D I would mention that in my guide as fishymancer is quite old (but still good).

ColdCrow likes this.
  18. ColdCrow

Thanks a lot for all the replies, they're helping me a lot!

RadTang and T72on1 like this.