Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

No Auras in D3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

No Auras in D3

I was just updating the Interface page in the wiki when a fairly obvious result of the way the hotkeys work in D3 hit me. I'm sure someone has remarked on this before, but if so I didn't see it.

There are only 2 skills mapped to the right mouse button. you can switch between them with the tab key or the mouse wheel, but there's only 2. It's not like D2 where you could map a dozen to the right and switch with hotkeys or mouse wheel. Just 2 in D3, with 1 LMB and the 1234 keys also.

This means there can't be any skills that work like D2's auras; that activate just when they are uppermost on the right click. Well, that mechanic is possible, but with only 2 skills to switch between (without opening the skills list and dragging in another one) I can't see Blizzard using that mechanic.

True, most paladins now on battle.net just leave conc or fanat active all the time, but as much as they're talking about d3 being more strategic and requiring active play to succeed at, I can't see them including any skills that are so useful you can just use that one all the time in every situation. And that would certainly go for auras, if there were such skills.

So if there is a paladin type char, in the expansion let's say, how would auras work? Like warcries? buffs that last X seconds? what was the real point in having auras work as they did in D2, other than just for variety? How would gameplay have been affected if auras had worked just like warcries, but only one could have been active per paladin at a time?

2. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 Diabloii.Net Member

Re: No Auras in D3

I am leaning towards the auras being a buff with a duration. Perhaps the RMB can be used for a preload skill, akin to a chargeup?

I think D2 pallies would have been fine with duration based auras, it just would have added a step or two when you either wanted to switch auras or needed to refresh your current one...they would have played more like barbs, naturally, and maybe that was the reason for the aura system? So folks would not feel like the classes were TOO similar.

3. Thruster

Thruster Diabloii.Net Member

I think that auras with time duration are quite possible. They could work not like warcries, but like auras in d2 with one difference: you must refresh them (using 1234 keys for instance).

4. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

I am sure flux that D3 will support gaming mice. So you will have access to a lot more skills then just 3 skills. That all said, if Bliz was to make another Aura based character, I am sure they wouldn't make more then a 5 types. Besides, like you said right now most ppl on Bnet just use 2.

5. Kiroptus

Kiroptus Diabloii.Net Member

Hum.... I dont wish that aura returned, at least not in the same way as D2. It was a weird thing to lose your right mouse button, it was like losing a part of your interface because of a skill-type.

But good temporary buffs are more plausible.

6. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

hum if diablo 3 allows macros which i hope i for one will have access to +30 macro keys(merc stealth) as well as 4 mouse keys i think it will be enough for such a simple game

7. filch

filch Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know... although I'm sure it would be controversial at first, I could see the devs possibly using the limited UI/hotkeys as a strategic balancing mechanism, similar to choosing which spells to memorize in dungeons and dragons. left-mouse, right-mousex2 (tab) and 1-4 hotkeys is 3 targeted attack skills and 4 non-targeted skills.

It's easy enough to swap around your "prepared" skills into their hotkey slots before entering combat, so 7 "in-combat" skills seems like a reasonable number to balance around, and could potentially add a fun strategic element, for us players, of preparing the right skills and/or building a character based around the 7 skills you think work best together.

It's possible, that's all I'm saying. I've got lots of mouse buttons too, and I'll invariably use them if there's no limits in the system. but I could see getting just as much fun strategizing around a 7-hotkey system, as well. In a lot of games, particularly older ones, maximizing your potential within the limits of the system provides a lot of the fun.

There is a sweet spot, though. If the parameters are too small, strategy is chokingly simplistic. if they're too large, it's just a free for all anyways.

8. Kromp

Kromp Diabloii.Net Member

WoW has a separate icon for selecting your aura, which is also what they do for warrior stances, druid forms, and maybe some other stuff. You can alternatively bind aura switching to a key if you want.

Really, the Diablo 2 system for skill selection and use isn't so great, and ended up with a lot of stuff just kind of awkwardly shoe-horned into it. I mean, when I want to put up Battle Orders, should I have to change my RMB skill to it, use the skill, and then reset the RMB skill to whatever I was using before? Probably not, it should just be a single keypress, keeping my mouse buttons mostly set to the actual skills I intend to be using most of the time.

9. Crudesash68

I agree with Lone_Wolf, macros would be awesome. Imagine your D2 barb activating all buff cries with a single click, and then the RMB defaults back to taunt/battle cry/war cry, as desired :)

10. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Macros would be cool but they would lead to bots and thats something you don't want.

11. Crudesash68

I agree with you, but that leads to a bigger question.

Do you limit options to the many, due to the faults of the few? I won't get on a soapbox here, but removing fun options to thwart bots is not my idea of good dame design.

Rather, you make bots valueless by invalidating the reason for their existence. I assume the bots will be used to gather up items and sell them for real world currency, like they do in WoW, and I guess in D2 as well.

So don't buy your items. Tell your friends not to buy them, make posts about how dumb and cheap it is to buy your gear, etc. Only group with legit players.

That won't stop bots, nor will it stop people with too much cash and too little common sense and self respect from buying their items. Limiting game options might make item sellers work harder, but it won't stop them. Only when players stop buying the items will the bots cease to have a purpose.

Whew, sure glad I didn't get on a soapbox :whistling:

12. Runestar

Runestar Diabloii.Net Member

When you think about it, warcries in D2 were virtually identical to auras, just that you had to refresh them ever so often.

I am guessing that buffs might have a cooldown (longer than its duration). So you can't keep them up 24/7. Instead, you have to time their use (maybe at the start of each battle).

13. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

I like the WoW approach. It lets you keep an aura active without using up any of your mouse buttons. Bind the aura keys to F1-F4 or whatever and it'll be very easy to switch when needed.

14. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

So, am I the only one to be disappointed to hear that we only be able to use 1, 2, 3, 4, LMB, RMB and Tab? Even in D2 I needed more hotkeys than that.

15. Crudesash68

I was wondering about that; was it possible to hotkey other skills, but not have them displayed?

Also, I find it a bit annoying that the system is so rigid; I was hoping for more versatility to map keys, although I would probably still use 1-4 anyway, which is what I used in my WoW setup.

16. Thruster

Thruster Diabloii.Net Member

When I heard of this system I was disappointed too, but my doubts were dispeled as soon as I noticed that d3 will be designed in way that even using only 7 "slots" you can make sophisticated character. I hope it will turn out to be true when we will finally have possibility to check it by playing.

But this macro idea which was mentioned in this topic seems to be very important. Was there any information about it in the past Blizzard's statements? If no, someone should write about it on Blizzard forums.

17. Kromp

Kromp Diabloii.Net Member

I do hope we get more than 4 skill hotkeys to play with. I'd almost assume that's a temporary implementation. In Diablo 2 I use 1-9 and Q-T through my hotkey binds, so I'm pretty sure I'd feel a little constricted with only four of them, even if they do actively design for a half dozen frequently-used skills.

18. a black kid

a black kid Diabloii.Net Member

personally, i think auras would make the most sense if they were used like the warrior in wow's battle/commanding shout... use skill, gives effect to everyone on screen for however long would be balanced.

i dont think making it just kind of like a passive skill that activates an aura would work since you dont have to work down a certain tree to get it... and would guess everyone of said class would use the skill (at least in multiplayer)

edit: and to me as well, it seems as though they want to keeping the mouse buttons for more active skills, and they want more strategy and skills being used, rather than the 1-2 skill builds of d2

19. Cormac McArt

Cormac McArt Diabloii.Net Member

Except that the Barb can switch to anything he wishes and use it and still have the "Aura" and the Paladin must have it there all the time and can't switch, not use anything on the right button, though his Aura doesn't need to be Cast - only to select it.

20. Typoko

Typoko Diabloii.Net Member

Hi!

One major difference with warcries is that the aura is always on the paladin and partymembers around him. He can't give it to someone and then leave and also he doesen't have to recast it when new partymembers arrive.

If there are auras, they might be done so that it's a buff that has a timer and everyone near you will also have it.

PS: could be so that the actionbars will be expandable but it's just at minimum atm. For example WoW has few lines of slots open at start and then you can open more if you need and bind them to whatever you like. I wouldn't be thinking about the UI atm as the game will have alot of UI remodeling, that i am sure of.