Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

No American Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Vespar, May 25, 2008.

1. Vespar

Vespar IncGamers Member

No American Games

I was playing diablo II a couple nights ago and I was noticing that I saw a lot of games that were named "Canadian Only", "German Only", "French Only", "Brasil Only".

I thought it was kind of strange to see these games, but then figured other than may Canadian (Barring French Canadian) that perhaps these games were created so players from those locals could play with other people that spoke their language. Of course...it also made me wonder why some of these people weren't playing on the European server in that case.

So, it got me wondering why I never see any "English Only" or "American Only" games....so I decided to make a game called "American Only" to see what would happen.

I was amazed to find that many Canadians, Germans, and even the Brasilians were joining my game just to call me an "American Bastard" or "A Greedy Imperialist" among other things.

It seemed to be a rather glaring double standard, but it got me to thinking that Americans are so often taught to accept people regardless of race, creed, religion, or nationality....and when they don't they are considered bigots and hate mongers.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely, understand that everywhere you go that you will have badseeds that make everyone else look bad....but I was really curious of how many of these people were really badseeds or if this was a general consensus.

I was just curious as to what others thought on the matter or whether anyone else has similiar experiences.

2. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Re: No American Games

Nation specific games are pretty common in all types of games.

But I have never seen an American only game: This is because pretty much everyone can speak English. And language is the main engine for these type of games.

3. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

I think if it were french Canadian, the game would be Quebecois seulment (sp)

I've made games with just the name of the city I was living in to see if anyone would join.

Edit and when I saw "no American Games" I thought the OP was talking about Basketball being invented by a Canadian, and a game like baseball being played in Ontario before Abner Doubleday played his game. And North American Football being a Canadian invention.

4. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I used to play Asia realm because the Korean servers gave me a much better ping than any of the others. When you log into Asia your default channel is based on where you purchased the game so Chinese players would automatically go into the China channel, Koreans would go to the Korea channel while people from Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Britain and the US would go to the USA channel.

We always knew when the US realms were down because the USA-1 channel would fill with Americans. Without fail every single one of them would start speaking racist trash, calling everyone in the channel such lovely things as "slanty-eyed gooks" and endearing themselves to the channel by promising that America is going to "nuke your hooch" and other niceties. This didn't happen only when the US servers were down either, at the height of my playing I was on all day every day and every single day we would get at least two or three people coming in and saying this crap. This wasn't just one or two "bad seeds", this was 99% of all American players visiting the USA channel.

You wondered why people entered your game and insulted you. This is why.

5. Foolishpleazure

Foolishpleazure IncGamers Member

I beg to differ.American Football is a actually a breakoff of the Europen's Rugby.and baseball was Invented by Abner Doubleday back in the days of the American Civil War.

6. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

Which AFAIK we played our version of Football before you did.
    And something like 30 years before the date given for Abner Doubleday's "invention" there was a game in Ontario. At least according to some historical records.

Next you will continue that nonsense that Edison invented the electric light bulb, when all he did was buy the patent.

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Cricket is a pretty non-American game.

8. Foolishpleazure

Youre missing the point.Europe had versions of BOTH long before either of us had it.Baseball (from arrticles I have seen) date back as far as the 1700's Europe.most of the sports we play today derive from Europe.

9. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

do you play on east/west ? assuming you do all i got to say is what do you expect ? you're playing d2 in north america where the majority of the people are english/american hence theres no need for such game names.

try doing the same on europe/asia.. although if you play on one of those realms disregard all of the above hahah.

10. Vespar

Vespar IncGamers Member

Isn't that pretty much just another double standard?

11. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

^^ i think sokar rostau is completely over looking the fact that this is the internet.
    with no fear of consequences of your actions it can bring out the worst in anyone. especially when "anyone" is the majority of the time someone in their young teens.

its not an accurate representation of americans its just kids being douche bags.

12. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

What are you talking about? I used to see them all the time, they're called things like "Ihate******s" and "nogoddamnkoreans".

I also saw a whole bunch called "Metallica" or "Metallicarocks", those damn prejudiced bastards, how would that make all the poor Megadeth fans feel?

We got that a bit on USWest too, but it's hard to tell how many of them were actually racist and how many were just your run of the mill Btards.

13. Foolishpleazure

And while on the subject,Donnie,I still havent forgotten a "certain person" referring to me as "Grandpops".lol

14. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

What's that? Sorry, I don't speak Olde English.

15. Vespar

Vespar IncGamers Member

I think that is a pretty accurate statement. I doubt there couple have been more than a dozen...two dozen people in a chat room like that and out of millions of people a couple dozen people if that aren't considered "badseeds".

I've seen a handful of games like that as well....however, there's no saying as to whether all those games were made by Americans or not. I'm sure there are plenty of people from all over the world that have their own particular sentiments about any given race, creed, nationality, or religion.

But as I said before, I fail to see any games stating they wish for American players only.

As Superjayson said....medias such as the one we're using now are pretty much dominated by teenagers and without consquence, the worst comes out of them...or anyone for that matter as Superjayson also said.

I just thought it sad that people simply joined my game to insult Americans....even though they had no idea who I was or why I was in an "American Only" game.

Guess I'll go see about joining some Braisilian, Canadian, French, only games and see if they'll actually let me play in them even though I don't speak the languages.

16. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

No kidding. Just check out YouTube comments.