Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

NM vs Hell Mercs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Baal, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

NM vs Hell Mercs

why is it that most guides have NM mercs as their final mercs? is it because they're just as good as hell mercs? or is it because by the time you get to hell it's a waste of time trying to level up an all new merc? are they too expensive, etc, etc?

i'm curious - i use Act II offensive as the guide i follow says too... but i'm wondering if it's worth it to hire a new one when i get to hell

2. MeBrutox

MeBrutox IncGamers Member

Don't quote me, but I do believe Hell ones have the same skills as the normal mercs but they do not go as high of level in their respective aura..definately stick with the Nightmare mercs

3. TraxisX

TraxisX IncGamers Member

Because the Mercs are different in each difficulty: An Act 2 Offensive has Blessed Aim in Normal and Hell, but it has Might in NM.

4. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

By the time you get to hell, it really doesn't matter where you got your merc. By and large, they will be the same level. But the reason that people select NM act 2 merc is their Auras. Nightmare happens to have more useful auras then any other difficulty.

5. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

I believe the resistances play a role as well. For instance, I know that a Normal mercenary brought up through Nightmare and Hell will have maxed resistances, but a Nightmare mercenary brought up through hell will not.

6. 6stringspanky

6stringspanky IncGamers Member

not only is it for the skills....resistance, strength, dex, def., life, etc. are higher the earlier you purchase your mercenary

7. Paradox of Reality

Paradox of Reality IncGamers Member

As stated earlier the main reason for hiring act 2 nm mercs is because of the difference in auras.

Normal and Hell Difficulties:

Combat - Prayer
    Offensive - Blessed Aim
    Defensive - Defiance

Nightmare Difficulty:

Combat - Thorns
    Offensive - Might
    Defense - Holy Freeze

All other mercenaries have the same skills regardless of difficulty hired in. Mercenaries hired in earlier difficulty levels will also have slightly better stats than those hired in later difficulties. However the difference isn't great enough that it's really worth it to level up a merc from normal if you're already a high level.

If you want more information then follow this link. The information is for .09, so some of it is outdated. The only big difference really is the bug with +skills and rogue mercs no longer works. Hope this helps.

8. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure that mercs hired in earlier difficulties will al least have more health. My proof for this is I hired a act V merc in normal, and when I got to NM act V I browsed the mercs for hire and noticed that my merc had more life than the ones for hire. (it displays the merc's life in the hire window in case you didn't know) I don't know about the resistances, but life is higher for mercs lvled up the hard way.

9. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

It would have been interesting if the Hell mercs had different auras. Like a holy shock merc or a salvation merc or something.

10. Milamber

Milamber Banned

Totally agree here.

I've always wanted to see the A3 mercs be useful!

11. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Agreed as well, different aura's for hell would have been interesting.I would like to say though that an act 3 hell defiance merc can be pretty helpful.

12. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Yeah. The Hell versions could have:

Cold: Blizzard, Shiver Armor
    Fire: Meteor, Fireball
    Lightning: Thunderstorm, Chain Lightning.

13. Round 4

Round 4 IncGamers Member

It's real simple. Mercs that you level up manually get slightly more stats/resistances then if you buy them from the store at the same level. But that's not why people use NM instead of hell, NM mercs auras are just better. Seriously who the hell wants a merc with prayer? :uhhuh: