Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

NM act 5

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by RHITguy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. RHITguy

RHITguy IncGamers Member

NM act 5

For reasons I cannot figure out, one of my characters arrived in nightmare act five, to find all the areas populated by enemies that were NOT from act 5. Sometimes its burning dead archers from act two, sometimes its variations of quill rats from act one, sometimes its oblivion nights, etc. Does anyone know why this might be and if there is anything I can do about it? It's actually much tougher to get through when the throne of destruction is full of oblivion knights and lightning immune (it's a lightning zon) burning souls.

2. erimatbrad

erimatbrad IncGamers Member

Re: NM act 5

Those are 'guest monsters', and it's a 'feature' of NM Act 5 and Hell Act 5. Hooray!

3. RHITguy

RHITguy IncGamers Member

Ah....I did not know that. It didn't happen with some other characters...is it random or something?

4. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Its random and only in the 1.1x patches.

5. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

That's it, welcome to 1.10+ :wave:
    You can try breaking those immunes using a wand or dagger with Lower Resistance charges. Look here for more details on pure lightning javazons. /advertise

6. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

There are two other main options. One is the PUAP (party up and play) approach, where you party with someone who can either break the immunities (Conviction paladin), or isn't the same damage type as you. The other is what I'd do, and that is get a backup attack. If by 'lightning zon' you mean Lightning Fury, then Freezing Arrow works quite well. The poison javelin skills are a bad choice for WSK runs, as gloam-type monsters there are all poison immune too. Nightfish wrote a mini-guide about this. Bear in mind his guide is aimed at Hell WSK runs, and so should work equally well for Nightmare.

What level are you, if I may ask?

7. RHITguy

RHITguy IncGamers Member

Level 61, and I managed to finish off bael in nm, but then as luck would have it, corpsefire in the den of evil in hell was physical immune and lightning immune...I could barely cause any damage at all.

8. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

It would be a good idea to try to level past 70 via NM Baal runs. Hell very hard for an under leveled character.

9. RHITguy

RHITguy IncGamers Member

Ya I found that out. It also so happens that the dark rougues in the cold plains are immune to lightning....big problem lol

10. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

Be prepared for a lot of trouble from immunes.. Nearly all monsters in Hell are immune to at least one element. Though lightning is probably the element that has it the easiest (besides magic and physical).

11. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Yeah, if this is your first time in Hell, at least in v1.10+, then it's a big surprise. Most monsters in Hell are immune to one thing, just by virtue of their base monster type (skeleton, fallen, etc). Bosses receive additional modifiers, some of which (stone skin, lightning/cold/fire enchanted, spectral hit, magic resistant) can increase resistances; if a resistance is raised to 100% or greater in this fashion, the boss will be immune to that type of damage, unless that would give a boss immunities to three or more types of damage. In the latter case, the boss will be immune to two things, and heavily resistant (I think it's either 75% or 95%, but I'm not certain) to the things that it would otherwise be immune to.

This means that you need three types of damage to be sure you can damage every enemy. Two types of damage means you can damage most enemies, and the odd boss immune to both of your chosen damage types can either be skipped, or you can let your merc kill it (assuming it's not immune to your merc's damage, too). Most people who want a versatile build go for two types of damage, since a single type leaves you vulnerable to immunes, and three or more types tends to spread the points too thin. There are exceptions, of course, such as Blessed Hammer paladins (since BH ignores resistances of almost every monster in the game) and Vengeance-using characters (Vengeance does fire, cold, and lightning damage with each hit, and a Vengeance paladin will tend to use Conviction to further reduce resistances).

The reason I was asking about your level was to determine if you had the skill points to go the Freezing Arrow route, as in Nightfish's guide. It really depends what you've spent your skill points on. If you go this route, you should max Freezing Arrow, and try to max Cold Arrow as well (it acts as a synergy, with each 'hard' point increasing Freezing Arrow's damage).

If you have a large number of saved skill points, you can do this. If you don't, you might not be able to do it on this character, at least not soon enough to deal with immunes. In that case, you can either explore a more gear-based solution (say, javelins with lots of fire or cold damage on them), party up with others to handle the immunes for you, or simply skip the lightning immune monsters. However, if you're wanting to reach high levels with your character, it means you'll need to do a lot of Hell Baal runs, and in that case, I'd recommend either partying up for the runs, or rebuilding your character to have two types of damage. Rebuild her if you don't play in multiplayer games very much, and still want to be able to kill everything.
    Dark rogue archers, dark rogue spearwomen, skeletons, hungry dead, skeletal mages using lightning attacks, some horrors, gloam-type monsters, lightning beetles, winged nightmares, fetishes, some frenzytaurs, some council members and priests in Act III, and a lot of bosses are lightning immune (to name just a few of many). If you don't develop a plan of action, you'll be in for a lot of pain.