Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[NL] What Merc?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by magikalz, Apr 26, 2008.

1. magikalz

magikalz IncGamers Member

[NL] What Merc?

Hiya. I'm non-ladder and I've never used a great merc before and im thinking about getting one.

I am a blizzard sorc that MF's.

i have no idea what merc to get and what to equipt him with.

if you guys can help, thats be awesome.

oh yea, if you tell me when to get the merc gear wise, id appreciate it if you told me how much the items are. Thanks!

2. xtragedyxme

xtragedyxme IncGamers Member

Re: [NL] What Merc?

The supposed standard according to most of the guides I read is an Act 2 Defensive mercenary with Holy Freeze aura (You can only get them in Nightmare) and you're supposed to equip them with either Infinity runeword for the Conviction aura, or Insight for the Meditation aura.

I personally like the rogue mercenaries myself. A little known fact is that if you give them equipment with plus +3 to amazon or all skills they're able to perform a small lightning hose attack. If you go with a rogue though, make sure her element type is the opposite of what you use. So if you're an ice sorc, get one with fire arrow. Fire sorc, get one with cold arrow.

Also, life leech is a MUST for any mercenary. Andariel's Visage is great, but if you can't afford one, then Vampiregaze is good too.

3. Huplet

Huplet Banned

Infinity's Conviction should break most immunities when stacked with your Cold Mastery.

I like Andy's as a helm, and efort for the armor. If you have trouble affording Fort, go with eth GA or perhaps Eth CoH. Maybe an upped shaftstop, although that would probably cost more than a reasonable fortitude.

@xtragedy: Does the lightning hose thing still work? I recall reading somewhere that it didn't. Besides, blizz sorcs generally need bosses to stand still, meaning a tank would work best. What about an a5 merc, with fort/grief/beast or something?

4. Borje

Borje Banned

Getting a merc is allways a good idea for a pvm char since they can help with so much. the "services" that can be provided to you, as a blizz sorc, is pretty much teh following: 1) tanking, 2) healing you, 3) helping you regenerate mana. For a good tank you will want him to survive the best and this is achieved by pretty easy means: get him some high dmg pole arm and as much life leech as possible!

number 2 is done by using a normal defensive merc to get his Prayer aura, that heals a few points of life per second. This effect can be double, by doing number three too: put the runeword Insight on him to get the meditation aura. This aura will synergies with his prayer aura and the of the health regen will be doubled.

Insight is a cheap runeword, but since it's ladder-only you might not be able to affor dit (i don't know how much these things cost on NL). The same goes for Fortitude, Infinity and isn't even Andariels Visage ladder only? the highend ladder only runewords will be very expensive but if you can afford them they are cool.

Infinity, however, is pretty useless on a cold-sorc due to your cold mastery. Unlike what Huplet states infinity won't break any immunities. Cold mastery doesn't stack with infinity for breaking immunities, but will work fully if an immunity is broken. Since this would mean that a broken immunity = -100 cold res with some investment made in CM cold immunities are set very high. A cold immune monster will most often have around 130% cold resistance. When infinity breaks immunities it wil lbe working at 1/6th effectiveness meaning the -85% res that lvl 12 conviction provides will reduce immune monsters resistance with 17%, meaning that 130% cold res monster will still be 113% resistant: ie, he'll still be immune!

Go for a holy Freeze merc for crowd controll and chill effect on cold immunes, go for a might merc if you want your merc to kill (cold immunes) faster or go for a Defiance merc with eth bugged Stone armour for huge def merc. My Tals meteorber uses the latter and I really like it. It's pretty cheap and a great bang-for-the-buck!

I use: Tals helmet for 60 life, 15 res all and the possibillity to socket it with something usefull. Stone eth bugged Balrog skin, defence on this baby is over 4.1k iirc and an the Thresher Obedience rune word (ouch, once again a ladder-only) mainly for the high dmg, crushing blow, res and the +defence to make full use of my Defiance aura. He has around 20k defence! If you can't get the obedience, try for a (eth - if you can afford) Reapers Toll for mad crowd control via Decrepify cast by merc, your blizzards and a possible Holy Freeze aura..

5. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Not even close. Cold mastery only gets applied once a cold immune is already broken, and most of the cold immunes in the game are unbreakable, at least with infinity. Off the top of my head, cold immune breakables include council members and the vampires in arcane sanctuary. That's about it.

Nope, doesn't work.

EDIT: mostly beaten to it by Borje. I should add that Reaper's Toll is a ladder-only item as well ;)

6. Huplet

Huplet Banned

My fault on the misinformation. I must have misread something somewhere =)

7. synx

synx Diablo: IncGamers Member

I had assumed the same thing when I first made an infinity for my cold sorc.

It happens :thumbsup:

8. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Small typo there: 1/5th, not 1/6th. [/nitpick]:wink2:

9. pacifickarma

pacifickarma IncGamers Member

My CL/Orb sorc's merc is an Act 2 Defiance merc wearing ebugged Stone armor, Stealskull, and an eth Fury CV. The guy has around 16K defense and can tank like nobody's business.

10. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

What are these Eth Bugged items?

I am planning to make Stone in an Eth Great Hauberk, which I socketed using the quest. The defense is around 800-ish is this a good option?

Also about the cube socket recipie, I tried it once on a cryptic axe and I got 5 sockets. Can i get 4 Sockets on items that have max 5 or i always get max (assume it was dropped by very high monster level)

11. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

If you use socket recipe on ethereal (non-superior) items, they get an additional 50% defense, so you end up with 1.5x1.5=2.25x normal base defense.