Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

NL Frost Avenging Smiter

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by JanusJones, May 12, 2005.

1. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

NL Frost Avenging Smiter

Been drooling over the multiple elemental aura builds (the double dream sorc was what I just checked out . . . damage would be INSANE!) and regretting the fact that I play NL. Howevver, I did have an idea which might allow me a placebo:

Put on a Doom berzerker axe for the slvl 12 Holy Freeze, max Resist Cold, Salvation, and Conviction.

Next, go for either Zeal or Smite. Get a nice Elite Pally shield with resist-all and some other nice mods and 4 socket it with 4 perfect Cold Facets (assuming you're rich enough) - or just do the sensible thing and 3 socket a Griz shield with facets. Plug on a Nightwing's Veil on top (plug in another Cold Facet if you've got it), and make sure to have at least one Raven's Frost (But why stop at one? Why not 2? More cold damage, more AR - what's not to like?).

Throw on whatever other equip you choose (ias gear never hurts - you might wanna go for 20% crafted gloves, Highlord's, Nos's Coil/Siggard's Stealth; alternatively, you can load up the elemental damage with some groovy on-hit equip to amp up your Zeal - Hellmouth comes to mind! Drac's Grasp are great for Zealers, too - Life Tap can save your life!); armor could be anything reasonable: Duress, Nigma, CoH, Stone, etc. One other possibility is Mavina's set - everything but the Bow, of course. The advantage is the good ias and run/walk, +1 to skills, and the most important thing: a big, FAT 200 some cold damage from the gloves! Boots, of course, should be Gore Riders (or War Travellers for Zealers).

Make sure to have a Demon Limb on switch for AR boosts (especially for a Zealer!) and prepare to DISH some DAMAGE! The Doom should allow you to (in combination with Conviction) to snap enemy resistances, and the added bonus of the Demon Limb's Enchant would just be gravy on top. For PvP, this seems as if it would be a pretty viable NL Smiter, as the Holy Freeze would allow you to hunt down other melee character without too much fear, and the Conviction should be enough to sucker-punch even the heaviest resistance opponents. And hey, if you REALLY wanna be nasty, why not throw in a couple of points into Fist of the Heavens? Then you become a triple-threat: melee you'll have fire and cold, ranged you'll have lightning - plus you'll be able to run folks down without breaking a sweat, since despite their "cannot be frozen" gear they'll still be slowed by your Doom's aura.

What do you guys think? Viable PvPer?

2. JanusJones

Sorry - not trying to bump my post, but wanted to add that I'm working on a guide - please don't scam my idea, anyone! ;)

3. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Sorry to burst you bubble but scratch Smite. Elemental damage doesn't get added to it. Only your aura pulses would be doing any damage -- and at level 12, they're pretty pitiful.

4. JanusJones

Good information - I've gone and done some research and decided Zeal is the way to go. Thanks for the info! I've typed up a guide which sets out the basics of the build, which I'll post in a few. Any and all comments are appreciated!

5. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Personally I think this build would not be very good in PvP. Even a fully synergized slvl12 Holy Freeze only gives 458-485 Cold damage -- nowhere near the 1-7005 of a dual Dreamer. Doom is also a non-eth weapon with a mediocre ED% bonus so your damage would still be pretty low.

6. JanusJones

What can I say, I'm a sucker for weird builds. Plus, I'm not saying this one could hold a candle to a Double Dreamer or a Torchadin - just giving an entertaining option for us non-ladder folks who are jealous about the ladder-players options.