Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nithalak vs Baal?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by maxicek, Aug 9, 2017.

1. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I have a few more goals in 1.13 that I would like to achieve:
    • Level up some assassins more - currently 92, want to go to 95+
    • Finish the grail (3 left)
    • Find high runes
    I normally run Lister, but never get much luck from drops, so was thinking of running Nith instead.

Any thoughts / comments? Assume all gear possible is available.

2. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Gear up with Enigma, Infinitymerc, Harmony on switch, some FRW/MF boots like WT or super rares, then go run Pindle on /p8

Put all spare points into BoS, and don't worry about minions or CoS.

Super, super fast runs, and he's pretty much never unbreakable/unkillable. That's what I did to get light trapper to 95.

Takes a while, but not as long as one might think, and you can load up on quite a lot of MF too. Balance MF charms vs skillers, and you're all set.

3. NanoMist

NanoMist Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe run some WSK on the way to Baal for better drops. Pits experience is decent too if your leveling goal is mid 90's. I haven't seen anyone run Nihlathak much outside of level 98.

4. PhineasB

PhineasB Diabloii.Net Member

Agreed that Nihl is not optimal for XP, although it's a pretty fun and engaging area to run, especially with Death Sentry available to clear out all monsters near his Platform.

I also don't think his drop rates are better than Baal (or close to possible TC87s if clearing bosses on WSK 2 & 3 on p1, as @NanoMist suggests) -- good finds recorded from Nihl have been largely a function of the >11,000 runs for characters going from 98 to 99. I had great fun with my 99er (enough to be actively working to get back with another) and had good finds, but that was lots of runs!

One thought: although slower for XP, hitting Baal would (probably) increase chance of drops to complete your grail (without knowing items you're after). Although his drops aren't great in small groups, over 3-4 levels in the 90s, you might luck out. Combined with boss packs in WSK at p1, in particular. But it would probably compromise XP gain efficiency in a significant way compared to pure Ventar or Lister runs.

5. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

death sentry vs nihl = probably as fun as my CE necro vs nihl. It turns into a CE war

sanguillen and PhineasB like this.
  6. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

For Baal, some sort of kick switch, or just a LOT of IAS on the merc would probably be needed for him to not take long enough to die as to compromise exp gain. And remember /p3 baal is max exp, so no need to go /p8

I'd personally kill Baal on any occation I've killed Lister, but that's mostly because I like to watch him die, and the very slim chance for a TC87.

7. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

It isn't efficient to kill Baal until about 96/97 IIRC. When I have run him in the past I added one point in DT and used a Blackbog's Sharp / The General's Tan Do Li Ga for the slow. Then he sits still and does nothing whilst the traps an conviction kill him quickly.