Ninja barb?

Godly Moose

Diabloii.Net Member
Ninja barb?

I only recently just started Diablo again(For the ladder reset, and couple friends started playing again and wanted me to start playing as well). I originally started playing during the 1.09 patch, the days of endless cow runs, Bowazons at the top of the PVP food chain. I ended some time about a couple months into the .10 patch.

Anyways, back when a bowazon could practically rip anything to shreds, I found a guide to beat bowazons. It was called the ninja barb. The point of the ninja barb was to run so fast it could outrun guided arrow, and anything casted at it for the most part, including getting in any heavy melee confrontation and just sticking to the hit and run play style.(I'm not sure if the author ever made this barb type and if it was just a theoretical build)

Now mind you this was during when using pots in PVP was taboo, but the point of the barb against anyone was hit and run tactics. Having high defense whilst remaining light, he would run in dodge everything he possibly could, potentially taking a huge hit or two, strike with hopes of a high damage attack then run out. This of course would take some microing to do, and matches could go on longer than normal due to the tactics, but hopefully worked efficiently and give a nice kill. Basically making you or the other person maybe work for their kill and making the kill feel good. Or make it really annoying for the other person. =p Imagine someone coming in without getting hit, hitting you, then running out just as fast. Doing this constantly would probably get most people annoyed, and fluttered and potentially make them careless, and easier to kill.

I don't remember at the top of my head exactly what was used for skills, I would think concentrate was his main attack for the sure hit, added defense, etc.

His gear would try and max out defense along with being at light as possible. But of course the main purpose was to run as fast as possible, so light armor was a must. He used a sword and shield for extra defense, and tried to have faster run and walk on everything. He had charms that would increase f/rw, and I believe ar.

Now I have to put the importance on the speed of the ninja barb. I at the time tried creating one, and before I could use him .10 patch came out and I made the mistake at the time of changing a whole bunch of the things needed in making it, such as sword and shield, armor type, etc. But my barb at around mid 80's when walked could walk faster than anyone I met could run. When not frenzied could almost outrun a sorc teleporting. When frenzied was faster. So the potential of running fast enough to dodge missiles, and such was very easy. I could when tried dueling outrun everything, it was the only thing that kept me alive, because frenzying didn't help and I seemed to do little damage and died easily.

Now the reason why I made this thread was to ask would a build like this still be potentially useful in PVP? Maybe with the right skill set up and equipment? Or would it useless, and the archetype of the ninja barb be stuck back in .09? I would potentially like some feedback please, and if you think if possible, what equipment, and skills would be good?

Sorry if the idea sounds really stupid, but I started playing again only 2-3 days ago, so my knowledge of what is current, and such isn't up to date.

Last edited:

Samohtnnam

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Ninja barb?

A ninja barb sounds fun, and maybe a Frenzy build with max Shout and Iron Skin could work in the scenario you have written if you could toggle between run and walk fast enough to not lose the high defense while making that one hit. Only 1 in Increase Speed would really be necessary with +skill gear, so don't think about maxing that due to diminishing returns. A long range weapon will also need to be considered.

Only problem is the runeword Enigma armor. You will be very fast with the right gear, and if you get a Frenzy hit off to increase run speed, but your opponent may annoy you when they are constantly teleing around. It sounds fun hypothetically, but in my experience with a Wolf Barb using Feral Rage I had a hard time catching teleing characters. I use to race other barbs who claimed to be faster than a Wolf Barb, and I usually would win. But, chasing a teleing character with max speed was not easy.

wizAdept

Diabloii.Net Member

You speak from a 09 player's perspective of outrunning projectiles. There is now enigma, barbs can teleport to avoid guided and other projectiles, as well as use teleport to get directly up to the opponent. frw is still useful on barbs for whirl speed and movement speed, but going past enigma/boots/08highlords and possibly some 320/5frw charms isn't going to help you for most matchups.

Sorry but a conc/frenzy/frw barb just isnt going to work with how pvp classes are now. You aren't going to evade a teleporting opponent without being able to teleport yourself, you arent going to catch a good teleporting opponent without being able to teleport yourself.

In general you are better off with a BvC or BvA build if you want to pvp. It is possible to make frenzy barbs but they suffer from some impossible matchups compared to other barbs, and dont really offer much. (aside from prplppleater, but I wont go into that since the items used on that type of build are very improbable on closed bnet)

Zdrak

Diabloii.Net Member

Easlily made char based of of a bva/bvc based on preferance.
A heavy investment of leap and increased speed/frw items allows synch and anyone who was victim to a synch whirl knows it is at least as deadly as a synched smite. Catching characters with a combo of run/walk/leap/tele is effective and arguably more effective than just the tele leap due to the ability to synch before doing the usual leap-tele-whirl creating confusion and panic as your foe is killed or severely wounded before he has a chance to react/retreat to type LAGG. Invest 10+ in increased spead, maxed preferably at the expense of shout. With a low def arm. like enigma though, defense loss is minor as compaired to the offensive strategizing capabilities gained.

My vote Speed=Damage, Speedy dmg = confusion, Confusion=poor movement choices=death. I have had sorcs tele ontop of a dysnched whirlwind many times by accident.

Godly Moose

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I kinda was thinking that it's not a good build any more.

Easlily made char based of of a bva/bvc based on preferance.
A heavy investment of leap and increased speed/frw items allows synch and anyone who was victim to a synch whirl knows it is at least as deadly as a synched smite. Catching characters with a combo of run/walk/leap/tele is effective and arguably more effective than just the tele leap due to the ability to synch before doing the usual leap-tele-whirl creating confusion and panic as your foe is killed or severely wounded before he has a chance to react/retreat to type LAGG. Invest 10+ in increased spead, maxed preferably at the expense of shout. With a low def arm. like enigma though, defense loss is minor as compaired to the offensive strategizing capabilities gained.

My vote Speed=Damage, Speedy dmg = confusion, Confusion=poor movement choices=death. I have had sorcs tele ontop of a dysnched whirlwind many times by accident.
What exactly is, "synching"?

jakotaco

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I kinda was thinking that it's not a good build any more.

What exactly is, "synching"?
synch/desynch are terms used in pvp when a character appears to be in a different place than he really is server-side. This can happen due to lag and high movement speeds. Vigor-charging or long whirlwind attacsk with high frw often cause this. Skilled desynching paladins can kill you without even appearing on your screen if you're not careful.

Kordova

Diabloii.Net Member

Synching is bs...along with hdins

i remember this build quit well, i had one, i tryed to remake a few times, my first was a ultra fast conc baba, he failed, with a ph and silent "T". the next was a throw with dual wraith flights, he did better than i expected but lacked dmg/shield, max block is almost a must, wouldnt leave home with out it

nice Hoss Delgato avatar

Godly Moose

Diabloii.Net Member

Synching is bs...along with hdins

i remember this build quit well, i had one, i tryed to remake a few times, my first was a ultra fast conc baba, he failed, with a ph and silent "T". the next was a throw with dual wraith flights, he did better than i expected but lacked dmg/shield, max block is almost a must, wouldnt leave home with out it

nice Hoss Delgato avatar
Thanks man