Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nihlathak Q?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bondcho, Sep 6, 2015.

1. bondcho

bondcho IncGamers Member

I need the wisdom of SPF members once again, the target is Nihlathak. I'm playing hardcore WITHOUT RWM and need to know what is the most efficient build that combines speed and safety? Thanks!

2. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

3. LiquidClear

LiquidClear IncGamers Member

I haven't run him since my days playing online, but as you probably know the Vipers and their poison smoke cloud is your biggest obstacle. The way to negate them is to add up PDR, the "damage reduced by". I think the consensus is that you need about 80 to negate it completely on p8, but not sure. I know scrcrw posted some videos running Nihlathak with barbs, I'll link below. I think he uses a Concentrate barb with Grief on one hand and Beast on the other, and has some gear like +2 barb, 25 PDR amulet/circlet. Other builds may also be able to do it and quicker, but since it's HC I think this is supposed to be the safest bet.

/p8 Nihlathak with Conc Barb

He has some other nihlathak videos posted too.

bondcho likes this.
  4. Kefka

Kefka IncGamers Member

A Fishy makes short work of him, and he would be lucky to deal any damage to you. By Hell Nihl, you should have enough CE radius and maxed skellies/some revives to tank. NO PROBLEM.

5. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Imo a fishy would be a terrible choice to run him. You need quick access to pindle's garden to raise army and you need the wp to quickly teleport to Nihlathak. But if you have the wp and kill Nihlathak then your portal to the garden is gone.

So yeah, he might not have the most difficult time killing him so if you already have an army that would be ok. But actually running him getting the army would take forever.

There have been people running him with some success, although i think phar deeded to him in the end. A howling barb or something could do well. Personally however i don't run him because i find him too dangerous. And that's even in SC.

6. frozzzen

frozzzen IncGamers Member

Without RWM is a bit restrictive, but some kind of mercless, exile/stormlash-high cb weapon smiter would probably be good. Lacerator with CB based gear also seems like good option on paper.

Combining innate paladin survivability of always having maxblock, lifetap with fast smiting would be supersafe. No merc means vipers pose 0 threat if you know how to play and smite being uninterruptible means you can't move along clouds if you are shift smiting. Some DR would be nice but far from mandatory.

You would probably want high mana pre BO for selfsustain (just enough to do whole run without needing to drink mana potion and have full mana when you save and exit on next run ). Obviously you can max zeal if you want to have option of taking down last sliver of his HP with zeal (lashsmite is extremely good at taking 90% of enemy life really fast, but struggle with last remaining points, so enter zeal) and heal your mana at the end of the run by zealing couple targets around you and then save/exit.

BBS_Agonistes and bondcho like this.
  7. bondcho

bondcho IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answers, I will go with frozzzen idea. Should I put some mf? I need the high level charms to reroll 40-45 life skillers (if I'm lucky). What else goodies could he drops?

8. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

Makes me wonder if in the bnet days of crazy runes everywhere anyone ever used a 4xBer Griswold's on that sort of Smiter....

bondcho likes this.
  9. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

You don't need MF to get magic charms :)

10. bondcho

bondcho IncGamers Member

?

11. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

It's not like non-magical charms can drop, so MF is irrelevant when it comes to charms is my understanding.

12. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Yes, there are no White/Grey charms, nor Set/Rare ones. All charms that drop are magical. Only a grand charm can be unique.

That's why if the goal is getting magic charms MF is pointless. Like it is for Runes, for example.

For those who doesn't know: MF doesn't decide what drops. MF only helps deciding the quality (magic, set, rare, unique...) of said drop (and not in everything - racks are an exception, giving an example).

Unless you meant something different when you mentioned MF and charms...?

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  13. bondcho

bondcho IncGamers Member

I referred items that are affected by mf, but already answered my question with the help of drop calculator. Pindle is 5 times better target with the irrelevant remark that pindle can't drop ""The Armor" and nih can, but still chances are surreal.

14. Kefka

Kefka IncGamers Member

oops, i missed the "speed" requirement. Back to grade school for me.

15. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

I would think a berserker barb would be the way to go here. But 0 defense you ask? Shouldn't be a problem if the target is only Nihlathak, however, as you won't be engaging in any other combat. You want Grief, Stormshield, Enigma, and all the other Berserker gear. Try to get some PDR in your amulets and Circlet. You can socket Sol runes in the shield and helmet for an extra boost. If you can hit over 60PDR, you should be pretty safe. On switch keep 2 hoto for the FCR and +skills or wizardspikes.

I like this setup better than a Paladin because of the Howl skill. The trick to dealing with Nihlathak safely is to make sure you only target him. Teleporting into his room, howling, and then taking care of him with Berserk is a pretty efficient and safe way to deal with him. Remember, your def will be 0 only when attacking, and Nihlathak poses no threat here. I've seen some videos of people employing this strategy and it works pretty well.

I'm pretty sure a smiter will kill faster, but I think this is a pretty safe and probably easier way to do things. You can also choose to go with the Concentrate route as well. If AR is proving to be a problem, you can try using Battle Cry or going with a weapon that will ignore target defense.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  16. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Nitpicking: MF will actually decrease the chance of magical charms in general (although just very small bit) because a GC has a higher chance to turn out as Gheed's. However, that can only happen from monster level 71 on or so and the average Gheed's is still worth more (or more useful) than the average magical GC.

There are three exceptions: Baal, Diablo and - bringing me back to the original topic - Nihlathak. They produce "Baal GCs", i.e. those which can have 41+ life which makes them the best choice for the 3 pgem recipe and thus more useful than average Gheeds. That means, if you are going for nothing but Baal GCs, it would be better wear no MF items at all (although it should be OK with respect to Nihlathak), as it will have a significant impact on the chance for getting one.