Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nihilathak and Elite Set Items.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Mraezk, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Mraezk

Mraezk IncGamers Member

Nihilathak and Elite Set Items.

*waves*

I'm looking to complete the more useful items sets, such as IK, Nats, Tranq's and Tal Rasha's. I've about got all the pieces that meph can drop, so I figure its time to move on. I'm still doing the lvl 85 areas, (mostly the River of Flame these days), but that seems like the slower route. I'm still not very keen about running Baal either.

However, Nihilathak is listed right after Baal and Diablo for some of these items in Atma's drop calculator, but is he actually worth running? Would a Nature's Piece ring counter his corpse exploision? If so, I think he would be a quick easy kill. As well as giving a bit of xp too for being such a high lvl.

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Yes, a natures peace stops nilly from CE's everything, but the main thing is you'll want the halls of pain WP and that ruins your pindle running. But if you dont run pindle, then thats not a problem.

3. Mraezk

Mraezk IncGamers Member

I cleared the lower areas lastnight after a Pindle kill and noticed in my current map, the stairs aren't too far a part. So its not much trouble teleporting my sorc down there. I also noticed Nihilathak can drop Tyrael's Might, Windforce, etc, although at drasticly low numbers, so this could be fun.

4. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Running pindle will still be faster. Nothing beats pindle for speed. The main problem with pindle the bordom factor. Unfortunately with pindle vs. Nil it's one or the other. Guess it's up to you to decide for yourself if it's worth running Nil.

5. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

So, why don't you just run Pindle? If you're looking for items (and not just goofy places to mf :D ) running him will be much more rewarding than running Nilly (= you'll do multiple Pindle runs in the same time as one Nilly run).

But, you got me interested in doing some experimental Nilly runs. Just for the coolness factor :cool:

6. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Nice to see someone has new ideas:thumbsup:

Those poison shooting Tomb Vipers down there can be a huge problem though, I don't know if you have met them yet. For most characters they are really dangerous

I have ran those areas for runes, lots of monsters down there

7. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Also as a note if you're using a sorc natures peace wont help stop CE's. The monsters rest in peace only works on physical attacks I believe. (ie melee or bow?)

Someone correct me if I 'm wrong.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Then the sorc would have to use melee or bow, eh? :D

9. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Dodgydave, have you actually tested that?

10. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I tried it, it works with fireball, so I assume it works with other spells.

11. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Nope, never tested just something I heard on the grapevine. If, as NSX says it works with fireball then presumably it does work with all spells. :shrugg:

12. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

I've confirmed it works with Meteor, Fireball, Firewall, Blizzard and Ice Blast, so I'd guess it works for pretty much any spell.

However, it does not work with Hydra. Not sure if it would work with TS.

13. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Also be careful that your merc doesn't get any kills...unless he's wearing Tyrael's of course:)

14. Mraezk

Mraezk IncGamers Member

I've been doing the runs off and on over the last day. So far the results have been mixed. The only worth while Items I've got down there were a Thundergod's (which I've really needed) and an Ist. Not too shabby I suppose, but the rune dropped on the way down off some random boss pack. So far Nihilathak reminds me of being similar to NM Meph with his drops, 2-3 drops of mostly rares but occasionally normal to exceptional elites. It might be worth mentioning that even at /p8 he's a very easy kill himself.

Nature's Peace does work with spells, else my meek little sorceress would be spattered all over the walls. So far the merc's kills haven't been a noticeable problem, but then again I spam the hell out of meteors non-stop once down there. I was hoping the Nature's Peace effect would carry over to him as well, but that is probably wishful thinking.

The monsters aren't too difficult, except for the darned Skelly Archer packs. They aren't terribly annoying on their own, but I could almost swear every creature down there moves at some kind of increased speed, especially those ethereal things. I did die a few times to Pindle on the way down however, and the ever wonderful FE mod. Perhaps I need more practice.

15. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I think they count as minions, like traps/merc/summons, thus the effect dosen't transfer to them.

16. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

So you run both pindel and Nihaltak, i guess it's more productive that way ;)

Edit: although you have to get back from wp to pindel and then all the way down to Nihl...i think it's a waste of time.

17. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Unless he hasn't taken the wp and goes through the portal, kills Pindle, teles to Nilly and kills him.

Oh, and I tried running Nilly for a couple of times with my Vegasorc and realized that you need a Lightning sorc without a merc to do the runs efficiently. Nilly's minions are CI and I think Chain Lightning would be great against them. And teleport is needed also - tomb vipers are bad (that means sorc if you don't have Enigma :rolleyes: ).

18. Draco

Draco IncGamers Member

He only dropped a nagel ring when i killed him :D

19. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Say... doesn't Nihlathak also have relatively good chance of dropping the high runes?

20. Mraezk

Mraezk IncGamers Member

No, I don't use the WP. I hit the Red portal, kill Pindle, then teleport my way down. Although I tend to stop for any boss packs I see. I've also heard the stuff about Nil and high runes, but I can't say for sure.