Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nightmare monster levels

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by totoro, Apr 2, 2004.

1. totoro

totoro IncGamers Member

Nightmare monster levels

I've read that the pit in Hell is one place with the highest monster levels, and thus can have the best drops. Does anyone know where the highest monster levels are in nightmare? (Don't think my character is ready for hell yet, but I'd like to find better items so that I can). Thanks in advance.

2. Jay20016

Jay20016 IncGamers Member

For NM, the only people who can drop semi-good equipment are Meph, Baal, Diablo, and possibly Pindle (rares can be just as good as uniques). NM doesn't off too much in the way of MF.

Also, you may want to do Griswold, as I've heard he has a special drop property where you can get 1 item of a higher lvl from him in NM.

Hope my ramblings can help ya... :)

3. Amburn

Amburn IncGamers Member

With 1.10, have the drops from Mephisto been reduced? Or did they just make it harder to get to Meph.

I've been having pretty good luck doing Meph runs in NM, and could have sworn I read that the drops were greatly reduced after killing Meph for the 1st time.

Thanks in advance.

4. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Not quite, but close. More than monster level determines what can drop. First of all, The Area level is most important. The Pit is one of the areas in hell with an Area Level of 85. The monsters, or what Tc (Treasure Class) they can drop from comes into play next. Determined my the Mlvl(Monster level)

For example :

Why are the pits so good for MFing?
    The pits are one of several locations that have the highest area level (area_Lvl) in the game, with an area_Lvl of 85 in hell. The Worldstone Keep,
    The Mausoleum and The Ancient Tunnels all share this area_Lvl of 85, along with a few select others.

The pits are only truly popular in hell. In nightmare and normal, the area_Lvl of the pit is too low to hope for many good drops.

The reason the pit is popular in hell is because it has the same area_Lvl as the Worldstone, but is much, much easier. There are very few elemental monsters, only one comes to mind, so resists are not as critical here as in other areas.

This means that it is easier to focus on MF.
    First note that your character level (cLvl) has no effect on any monster drops. It is a monster's level (mLvl) that defines which items it can drop. Monsters drop weapons and armour from specific treasure classes (TC). TCs make up groupings of items with similar levels. A monster chooses a TC to drop from, and then an item in that TC to drop. In 1.09 weapon90 and armor90 were in the highest TC, now in 1.10, that TC has been dropped, and all weapon90 and armor90 items have been bumped down to weapon87 and armor87.

Sacred armour is in armor87, because of this, only monsters that can drop from armor87 can drop sacred armour. To get even more picky, set and uniques have quality levels (qLvl). If a monster wants to have any hope of dropping a unique sacred armour, they must be able to drop from armor87, and have an mLvl equal to or greater than the qLvl of unique sacred armour. The highest qLvl for a set item is only 55 - all hell monsters meet that requirement - but the highest qLvl for uniques is 87, not easily attainable.
    Lucky for us, every monster in the pit can drop from armor87 and weapon87 - in effect, every base type item in the game. Unfortunately, only champions and random unique bosses have a high enough mLvl to drop every unique item in the game. This means that while every monster in the pit can drop every base item, some very high qLvl items can never be unique if dropped by normal monsters with an mLvl too low.

Monsters in the pit have high mLvls because of their area level. Several formulas exist relating area_Lvl to the mLvl of different monster types and to different props.

Normal Monsters (NOT champion, unique, etc...) mLvl = area_Lvl
    Champion Monsters (Fanatic, Ghostly, etc...) mLvl = area_Lvl + 2
    Random Uniques and their minions ("Arzahd The Violent" - not Pindleskin) mLvl = area_Lvl + 3

Super Uniques (SU) are monsters that have a set spawning place and their own drop tables (Pindleskin). We don't need to worry about super uniques as there are none in the pit.

These formulas tell us that any normal monster in the pits will have a mLvl of 85, any champions will have mLvls of 87, and random uniques will have mLvls of **.
    Let's finish off with an example. We have a normal Dark Archer in the pits. The mLvl of this normal monster, according to the area_Lvl of the pits must be 85. Because the mLvl of the monster is only 85, the highest qLvl item that can be dropped is of qLvl 85. Again, take note that only champions, and random uniques and their minions can achieve drops of qLvl 86 or 87.
    For info of what items are in which TCs look here (keep in mind armor90 and weapon90 are now armor87 and weapon87).

[size=+3]The Above taken From Shadow_247's Pit Guide, so the credit goes to him.[/size]

Here is a link to the full text of Shadow_247's Pit Guide :

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=532

Here is a link to some useful info on Magic Finding, along with a list of all of the Area levels in the game. They are sorted by Normal/Nightmare/Hell.

The highest Area Levels/areas are in red/orange :

http://home.t-online.de/home/320071388834-0001/games/D2X_110_MF_Guide_ENG.htm

Good luck! :thumbsup: