Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nightmare Meph..

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nilie, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Nilie

Nilie IncGamers Member

Nightmare Meph..

I've been doing NM Meph runs for awile now trying to get equip for my Fishymancer for Hell...btw he's now 79 and in Act 2 Hell but I can't seem to make it through the "Bug Pit" as I call it...skelies get in the way and I die fast without them just using my merc..or I did 2 lvl's ago, that's the last time I tried, I really hate that place, takes forever to get through it with a necro. Actually the bugs aren't what's giving me a problem, it's the swarms..takes forever to kill just one I use CE but still doesn't work..I need help or maybe get a few lvl's higher. My equip may be a prob too..my setup atm is Spirit Shroud Ghost Armor, Ume's Lament Grave Wand, Shako with 2 PTopaz, The Ward with a PDiamond, Goldwrap and Venorm Grip Demonhide Gloves..rare boots with a little mf.
    I'm just wondering how many really good items NM Meph drops?

2. XaviarGangrel

XaviarGangrel IncGamers Member

edit : after actually reading your post, fully, I realised I asnwered the wrong question.. lol... Meph droped pretty nice for me, I ran him for ages at that stage.. the Council is also a good place to run I found.

3. i_marsolek

i_marsolek IncGamers Member

I think you mean the maggot lair. Set to players 1, and have teleport on something. I just have a staff of teleportation that I use on the switch. Use it to place your minions next to monsters. Also try and revive/rasie skeletons that are in packs behind your group. CE whenever you have the chance, make sure the monsters are amped when you do this. This will take time but you can do tis with some patience. Also make sure your resists are up to snuff, and avoid FE beatles, it transfers to their lightning bolts to cause a lot of pain.

4. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

To my knowledge, he can drop any normal set/unique, and many exceptional ones. He's certainly not going to drop a lot of endgame gear, but that doesn't mean he won't drop some very nice items nonetheless.

On another note, it's probably not so much your gear as your approach that's causing you trouble in the Maggot Lair. I have a few ideas that might help you out.

First and foremost, every single time you CE, make sure you Amp Damage on the crowd first. Second, try getting yourself some fire spells. The swarms seem quite vulnerable to fire attacks, which is one reason CE tends to be so effective. Third, you can try Bone Spear. I know you're a skellymancer, and thus won't be doing anywhere near the amount of damage my bonemancer (with all synergies maxed but Teeth, and he's working on that) does with it, but still, find a wand with +3 Spear, and it'll help.

One final, last-ditch attempt you might try is rerolling the monsters until you don't get swarms in there, or at least not many. I'm not sure if the Lair can spawn without swarms at all, though I expect it can, since there are at least four other monster types that can spawn there (two types of maggots and two types of beetles), not counting maggot eggs/babies.

[oops, almost forgot- try finding something with teleport charges, like Naj's staff, Spellsteel axe, or an amulet, which you can gamble with the gold you get from selling unwanted meph spoils]

5. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Nightmare Meph can drop up to TC 54, which includes most (but not all) exceptional and normal sets and uniques. Diabloii.net has a TC listing in the Item Generation Tutorial part of its Item Database.

Chris

6. Nilie

Nilie IncGamers Member

I always amp first thing..I do need something with teleport, I realize that and have tried gambling for an amulet but no luck so far so I'll look for a staff or something...doh never thought of that LOL. Thanks for the help...gonna keep running Meph for a while..I'm addicted now I think...can't wait to see what he drops next <grin>. Not having any synergies in bone poison may have added to the problem, I don't know but this is the only place I've had real trouble in Hell so far. CE and Revives up until now have always done the trick...I have 20 in CE and 10 in Revive. Btw I haven't had the nerve to try anything higher than players 2 in Hell and when I did I died so I'm only using players 1.

7. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

if i remember correctly the swarms (itchy flies) you are talking about are naturally immune to physical. Amp removes that - which is good.

However, try the curse Lower Resist in combination with corpse Explosion on those itchy flies. Corpse Explosion is 1/2 physical, 1/2 fire, and since they are naturally Physical immune, lowering their fire resistance will go farther than breaking their immunity.

You can also try bone spear to go through crouds of them (it is magical damage, not affected by resistances).

Yeah, that is probalby the worst place for a fishymancer - go their once and never return.

:buddies:

8. Nilie

Nilie IncGamers Member

Btw I don't have Naj's Staff yet, only the helm but maybe I'll get it soon...I got really lucky when I was in Act 5 NM and got a Tal Rasha's Horardric Crest...talk about excited hehe. Does Meph drop this set?? If so maybe I'll luck up and get at least another piece.

9. Nilie

Nilie IncGamers Member

Ok thanks, hadn't thought of that either...next time I'll try LR in combo with CE. Thanks for not making me feel really dumb for asking for help. I read these forums every day before I start playing and yes after as well and always pick up some good advice. I don't know what I'd do without it and without you who have been so kind as to post tips etc.. Hats off to all of you !

10. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

let us know how it goes - I'd love to hear if you have better/worse/same success with LR over Amp.

11. Nilie

Nilie IncGamers Member

Well I just finished Maggot Lair..finally..and yes had better luck with LR. Thanks for all the help. I got frustrated so moved on to do the next dungeon first then came back to the Lair. Headed to Arcane Sanc. now.

12. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Yes, Mufassa is right, LR is probably better against the swarms, due to the reduced efficiency of Amp because of their immunity. The reason I didn't think of it is because my bonemancer only has one curse, and that's Amp. It's strictly to help CE and his merc kill faster, and is my "contingency skill" for monsters that are immune to both physical and magic damage.

Another place you can try running for items to help you out is the Pit, in Act1 Tamoe Highland (in Hell of course). The frequency of uniques is a lot less than running Meph, but the range is better even than Hell Meph, let alone Nightmare Meph.