Nightmare Duriel crushing my Meteorb Sorc... UGH!

Chimping Spree

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightmare Duriel crushing my Meteorb Sorc... UGH!

My main strategy for finishing up normal, and going through act 1 and 2 with my meteorb sorc has been: SPAM FROZEN ORB. It absolutely dominates everything that isn't cold immune... then Duriel comes along and wrecks everything.

I really, really, really, really, really don't like running up next to Duriel and using Static Field on him. I tried it twice today, lost about... oh lets say, 100,000 gold, half a level, and the motivation to even try anymore. It just didn't work on him. My merc goes up to tank (I got a holy freeze merc now, LIKE THE METEORB GUIDE SAYS, PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A HUGE MISTAKE AND I CAN SWITCH BACK TO DEFIANCE, PLEASE!!!), he gets crushed within 4-5 hits - this is when I'm not near him. When I run up to Duriel to static-field him, he turns around and crushes my skull.

What the hell can I do to solo this beast and not lose billions of gold and possibly a few levels?

I feel like I'm wasting my time with the mage classes and I should go make a whirlwind barbarian... :cry:

Are there ANY guides to making untwinked characters that can supposedly solo hell besides the meteorb sorceress? I HATE how fragile she is.

VisMaior

Diabloii.Net Member
What level are you? What equipment? You can change back to defiance merc for sure. I even like the preyer one, helps a lot with life.

Chimping Spree

Diabloii.Net Member
Level 48
As far as armor goes:
Mnemonic Great Helm: 25 defense
Rune Carapace Field Plate: 148 defense
Plated Belt of Might: 11 defense
Light Plated Boots of Speed: 9 defense
Viridian Heavy Gloves of Fortune: 9 defense

The rings/amulet/weapon give some + to skills, along with a little bit of MF. Since my weapon is 2-handed (gives +1 to all fire skills, and +1 to Frozen Orb), I have no shield.

The + to fire/frozen orb weapon doesn't seem as important anymore since FO is leveled high enough, and I don't use meteor as much as FO...should I switch off to a one-handed item that possibly gives + to my skills, and a good shield? If so, I have a "whitstan's guard" on another character which I could probably solo-mule off to my sorceress...

One of my mistakes I've just realized is that my early gear was heavily put torward keeping lots of mana. This is no longer a problem since my merc has Insight.... so I should probably start swapping out equipment that give mana uppage in favor of pure defense/resistances...

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
This is the 1 boss you run/tele around in circles and throwing orb around. Try keeping your merc alive. It CAN be done. Try learning how to really play the sorceress from this boss. I know sorcs are more fragile, but wait until you see the base vita bowazon. Besides, no other class has teleport, which allows you to run bosses at amazing speed.

The basic strategy is to:
Tele into him with merc.
Quickly static while he hits merc.
Tele out when static is not effective.
Throw an orb when he is approaching.
Tele to the other side so he can't hit you or your merc.
Repeat last 2 steps until he dies.

Get used to this now since unless you are rich, you will have to do this to quite a few things (including hell Lister).

As for merc, I use prayer myself, so I am sure that one is not the main problem.

By the way, you can never lose a level from the exp lost. Once you get to the empty bar, you will not lose more exp.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
Are you sure you are not looking at uber duriel? Sorcs are not meant to kill ubers. Norm/NM/Hell duriel are not cold immune.

Chimping Spree

Diabloii.Net Member
No, I was looking at the small blue words "Cold Immune" under Duriel's name as he turned me into a red stain.

WOW, my sorceress is so pathetic and fragile I couldn't even get to his tomb to TRY and fight him. I must have died 3 times on the way there, and I'm now down to 30,000 gold. I give up. I hope barbarians are more resistant than that.

EDIT: I swear on my life Duriel was cold immune before. Oh well... MY EVIL PLAN WORKED.

I got really tired of seeing Duriel's ugly face, so I got on my necromancer, re-joined my sorceress game with him and used my nigh-invulnurable skeleton army to slash my way to his lair - and then proceeded to nearly beat Duriel to death. Upon seeing the TINIEST sliver of his life left, I jumped ship, returned to that very same game with my sorceress, and raced back to his lair - casted ONE Frozen Orb - and killed him instantly.

I think I've finally snapped and lost my mind, because I started laughing maniacally right after I killed him. Luckily for me nobody is home... :evil:

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
All I can say is, learn how to play a sorc better. I can do NM virtually naked, save an insight on merc. Playing a sorc is like playing one of those airplane shooting arcade game, where you die in 1 hit. The whole point of course is, not to get hit. If you don't know how to dance (that's what this teleing around not getting hit is called), Diablo is going to be HARD. One thing you can do to make it easier is to lay down meteors before he spawns :tongue: .

By the way, no act bosses are immune to anything, except ubers.

Chimping Spree

Diabloii.Net Member
So..... hmmm...

is there any way to teach me how to not be such a n00b with teleport just by describing it, or is it something I have to fine-tune, much like playing Raiden at the arcade..? :tongue:

I can KIND OF do it.....keyword being KIND OF. I've pretty much got the hotkeys down so I can teleport and immediately go into a frozen orb, but my problem is getting caught by hordes of enemies like groups of fetishes that roam the jungle. I think Duriel is just overpowered unfairly. He's really fast, really strong, has some sort of freeze aura, and seems to be painfully agoraphobic.

I know for a fact if I was given a nice big open space like the Chaos Sanctuary to fight Duriel: I could do that fight naked, with no merc.

Does the hell version of Diablo still trap things with bone prison? I remember dreading fighting Diablo some years ago, even if it was an item run, because of that damned bone prison...

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
It is like playing Raiden. The idea is simple: Make enemies walk around in a circle, outside of their range and you attack from there. It gets more complicated with enemies that attacks with a ranged attack, like Diablo. I agree Duriel is a pain, though. The area is just so small. With fetishes, just spray orb like mad. In nm, they are not immune to cold, and you can easily kill them before they even reach you.

Who cares about the prison? Tele out. Got my zon killed a few times though......

Chimping Spree

Diabloii.Net Member
Good point, all of my past experiences of this game were with super-twinked melee units. I really DO need to learn how to play this game again..heh

Yeah I've been spraying the orb like crazy at the fetishes, and that seems to work. I GUESS...my biggest issue is patience. I know I can clear out dungeons and etc faster than any other character, and the urge to teleport blindly across entire sections of rooms is tempting, especially since I have the mana to do it now...

I guess I'll limit the teleporting to double-back through empty rooms, and large open spaces.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
Once you have more faster cast rate, faster hit recovery, and better resist, you can tele across pretty much anything. But for now, do what you said and keep teleing for safe places.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member
You don't need to kill Duriel. All you need to do is make a game where the quest is not done. Kill him with another character. Bring back the one needing the quest. Ignore the message that you can't complete the quest.
Talk to Tyreal. And you will have the quest.
I've done it a couple times.
There is a bug.

Chimping Spree

Diabloii.Net Member
It's all good though, man. I took advantage of having a level 64 necromancer with "nigh invulnerable" skeletons, beat him to near death, and rejoined the game with my Sorceress and finished him off.... really cheap kill AND still got the experience for it. Two birds with one stone. :evil:

baffle

Diabloii.Net Member
Chimping Spree said:
No, I was looking at the small blue words "Cold Immune" under Duriel's name as he turned me into a red stain.
You can't have seen that; no boss (except the ubers) is immune to anything in the game, as AnimeCraze said. Duriel does have high cold resistance, but Cold Mastery should take care of that.

As for items, the cheapest way to get +skills at the moment for you would be by making a spirit sword (+2 all) and a splendor shield (+1, requires a lum), Lore helm (+1), and trade for a low-resistance Skin of the Vipermage. Should make life much easier.

Chimping Spree

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not lying, I swear I saw it once. I may be going insane and losing my vision, but I saw what I saw... lol

I've got a few more questions though:

Ever since I got past Duriel I've been speeding through nightmare. I'm approaching the end of Nightmare, and I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on equipment that I absolutely NEED before I venture into Hell. I have very little to nothing worth trading for, except for a very few items that I'm absolutely not giving up.

I would go MFing with my necromancer but he's too damn slow! Thats pretty much why I built the meteorb sorceress in the first place; to make an MF 'god'. I suck at teleporting, so, do you think a barbarian would be better for MFing?

Gorcka

Diabloii.Net Member
Chimping Spree said:
I suck at teleporting, so, do you think a barbarian would be better for MFing?
Personally, I would suggest to get better at teleporting. MFing goes by faster with tele. You can find wirts leg faster for cows, meph , baal...etc much faster than anyone else. Plus it's very handy if you get trapped by cows - just tele out.

My suggestion would be (if you're using a PC) to have Frozen Orb as your left click spell, then have others as your right click. Use the F1-F8 for the spells you use most - Teleport being one of them.
Strategy would be: Hold down shift (which makes you stand in place)+ left click to cast frozen orb, then right click to teleport to another location. Mix in other spells as you like (Meteor, etc)
Rinse and repeat :)

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
I personally set all ranged attacks on right, but that's just me.
I hotkey:
Glacial Spike
Orb
Fire Ball
Meteor
Static
Telekinesis
Teleport

What you must need? at least +5 skills (more the merrier), and 63 faster cast rate. Otherwise, you are going to not do enough damage and die teleing a lot.

Chimping Spree

Diabloii.Net Member
I have around 72% FCR, with all of the above skills. I keep fireball as my left click, and my right click cycles between teleport/frozen orb/meteor. I only use glacial spike on special enemies like lister and his boys, or those crazy "moon lord" guys.

Now, that I know that evil trick to swap out characters in the same guy, and have a level 76 sorceress - Duriel will never, ever terrorize any of my characters, ever again.

:evil:

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member
Get 3 keys, open a portal, and watch Duriel own your sorc's rear real bad. :wink3:

Norm, nm, and hell Duriel should not be a problem though.