Nice one NASA! What if they shoot back?

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice one NASA! What if they shoot back?

Following on from the other thread about NASA shooting the asteroid...

I know from recent threads that there are a fair few of you who believe in aliens here.

So what if NASA shoot at somewhere in the universe another race lives? They are not going to like it very much are they? If they are more advanced than us we're going to be in big trouble!

So do you think it's a good idea to shoot at bits of the universe we don't know too much about? Is this the start of interstella warfare? Am I talking rubbish?

Bit of a random topic I know, especially when you realise I don't believe in aliens huh?

KnightFall

Agateryon

Diabloii.Net Member
the chances of that hapening would be 1:1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
so i don´t think it will happen that easely :p

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
aman said:
why were they shooting at it in the first place??
They are trying to learn more about how the universe is made up, how it all started etc. And also if an asteroid ever is on a collision course with Earth they need to know if they can destroy it.

KnightFall

aman

Assassin Moderator
well what happens if they make a mess of it and the asteroid somehow manages to go on a collison course with earth :clap:

Kawaii

Diabloii.Net Member
You do realize that Voager 1, the fastest probe atm, would take about 7000 years to reach Proxima Centauri(closest star) at its current velocity, assuming it travels straight toward it?

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Kawaii said:
You do realize that Voager 1, the fastest probe atm, would take about 7000 years to reach Proxima Centauri(closest star) at its current velocity, assuming it travels straight toward it?
I think I'm missing your point...

KnightFall

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
myleftfoot said:
How long would it take us to hit another planet?
Who said alien have to live on other planets?

Why can't they cling to asteroids to travel about for example? Or live in open space?

KnightFall

SinRomanDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
I think I'm missing your point...

KnightFall
Well, the fastest probe we have would take 7000 years to get to the CLOSEST star.

How many years it would take to get to the closest planet... That HAVE life?

And... HOW they would know exactly from WHERE the weapon came, and they would need a MUCH faster weapon to "fires back".

Well, after all, we would also have 7000+ years to improve our technology. BEFORE they notice our "first blow".

Kawaii

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
Who said alien have to live on other planets?

Why can't they cling to asteroids to travel about for example? Or live in open space?

KnightFall
Using asteriods to travel might be an idea, but living out in open space wouldn't be viable due to the lack of a nearby energy source(a star). Every civilization needs energy in some form.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
SinRomanDragon said:
Well, the fastest probe we have would take 7000 years to get to the CLOSEST star.

How many years it would take to get to the closest planet... That HAVE life?

And... HOW they would know exactly from WHERE the weapon came, and they would need a MUCH faster weapon to "fires back".

Well, after all, we would also have 7000+ years to improve our technology. BEFORE they notice our "first blow".
Unless ofc they are a more advanced race! Could only take their technology 20 minutes to reach us...

Edit : Using asteroids to travel would be really good thinking about it. You could anchor to it and save using fuel. You could also anchor other things to it like oxygen tanks etc. Would make longer space voyages possible.

KnightFall

Agateryon

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
Unless ofc they are a more advanced race! Could only take their technology 20 minutes to reach us...

Edit : Using asteroids to travel would be really good thinking about it. You could anchor to it and save using fuel. You could also anchor other things to it like oxygen tanks etc. Would make longer space voyages possible.

KnightFall
they'd have to know the coordinates and some kind of technology to jump big distances instantly ( a jumpdrive) which would create a wormhole around the weapon and transport it to earth. but as someone has already pointed, how would they know where it came from?

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
Agateryon said:
they'd have to know the coordinates and some kind of technology to jump big distances instantly ( a jumpdrive) which would create a wormhole around the weapon and transport it to earth. but as someone has already pointed, how would they know where it came from?
Lots of math. in space, an object travels the same velocity indefinetly unless acted apon. so, simply trace back its flightpath and take into account potentail influences and the time difference.

skihard

Banned
Well NASA didn’t actually fire at the asteroid they send the probe to a point in front of the asteroid and allowed the asteroid to overtake the probe. So you could almost say that the “aliens†on this precious rock attacked NASA not the other way around.

Remember in most countries with rules on driving set up, it’s the person in the back that’s at fault, or the “aliens†driving their rock at speeds faster than they should be that ran into our slow moving probe.