Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nice IGN Article

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Bad Ash, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

Nice IGN Article

http://pc.ign.com/articles/111/1117225p1.html

Seems like IGN finally got around to posting their gamescon Jay Wilson talk. Seems pretty informal but I feel like I got new information.

New skill system revealed officially at Blizzcon (although we got a good dose of what the basics are, 3 trees all universally linked)

Why they ditched the cube (really good and true point: you had to go online to figure it out haha, thats broken)

And is it just me or does it seem like he kinda was talking about the 5th class when talking about co-op play? Anyone remember any "enemies do less damage" skills from current chars? and "controls enemies" moreso (not necessarily fear from WD)

to me thats just confirming Ranger for 5th class, but I thought it was a fun read

2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Re: Nice IGN Article

In the video, I didn't even notice the rainbow until he said it. XD I had to play it back twice to even see it.

3. Davidus

Davidus IncGamers Member

"We're still building, but we're building very fast. We're not in discovery mode anymore."

sounds like 2011:)

"we thought it had a good feel to it to reduce the length of later acts so that you feel like you're accelerating towards the finale."

more like Mike Morhaime commanded us to finish the game already:p

Guild Wars 2 and SW: TOR will come out next year. Cataclysm content will be finished(Deathwing dead) by casual guilds around may next year so they will release D3 after that to keep the players at Blizzard until the next MMO/WoW expansion.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Indeed. When I see a game that has incredibly sort later acts, I do get the idea that you are accelerating towards the final. The problem is that this always manages to convey the feeling that they were rushing the game and that it needed to ship.

5. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

They maybe are just pulling in more people from other design teams. SC2 had only a 40 team designing the core of the game, and then they started piling on more designers as the game entered alpha-beta.

6. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's exactly what Jay was saying:

7. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Bleh. Was hoping that wouldn't happen. Accelerating the ending is basically wasting what is potentially the most interesting combat wise aspect of the game. It completely ruined Dragon Age's ending, for example, because they just set every enemy to level 1 to "give the battle an epic feel."

FFS.

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i dont like the idea of reducing the acts length. imo the final act should feel bigger. assume the 4th act is again hell, i want it to be huge i mean its hell. i always thought act 4 in D2 was far too short and it looks like we will be getting that again.

gotta agree with yoyu konfeta, the ending to dragon age felt off. several games have done this. i like the stalkers games and the first was fun but near the end it felt like i was being rushed down a tunnel just to get it over with already.

9. Moonfrost

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but (key parts underlined):

Im reading this as "we liked the randomness aspect of gambling so we're merging that with the guaranteed item type aspect of crafting, to emulate D2 gambling in D3 without actually implementing D2 gambling in D3".

10. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I like it.

In D2, you'd have to look up crafting on line to figure out how and what level chars get you the "good" stuff with chances for 2 skill, etc. I never got into it because it was so complex and I never grasped the affixes, ilvl, etc. :S I'm sure a casual gamer wouldn't get that complex either.

From the video, it looks pretty straight forward in how to do it, how to get what items I need, and still have the potential to be great, or at least useful depending on how well they make things, their level and so on.

11. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Sounds like the feeling of walking downhill, instead of uphill.

I myself prefer downhill because you seem to be getting somewhere. If one walks uphill than their only halfway upon reaching the top.

Which gives a more gratifying feeling of finishing something?

Even with mountainclimbing itself, those that reach the top still aren't famous. In order to tell the world one has to get down again first.

12. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Wait, story literally following the progression of rising, climax and falling action?

Can they do that?

;P

13. TheMythe

I bet they can for a true 1337 uber die-hardcore nerdgeek :)

14. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Falling action? In a video game? No ty. Maybe during the credits.

15. Moonfrost

I totally agree that D2 crafting was confusing, but what surprises me is that they're seemingly going to merge crafting and gambling rather than implementing both separately.

Fundamentally, the two are practically identical - "sell items for gold to buy random items" VS "salvage items for parts to craft random items" - but given the team's emphasis on creating goldsinks I would've expected crafting and gambling to co-exist rather than merge.

16. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Well, in D2, crafting had little to do with merchants. Other than the magic items, you had to find the other components yourself. Gambling was a huge gold sink, so I can see them keeping the gold high in order for it to mean something, but still have two in one. Besides, we have another gold sink with socketing that we don't have to rush for 15 minutes for only 1 socket. :p

Well, the defeat of Mephisto felt like the climax to me. After one Prime Evil, you've shown you're definitely not one to mess with. At the very least, their reign begins to come crashing down.

Then again, it's three Primes, so multiple rising actions and climaxes could happen.

For conclusion, it probably would be best just as a cinematic.

17. TheMythe

Oh yeah, I'm all in for multiple climaxes :)

18. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

This is the truth, please Blizz do not make the same mistake again. The final shouldn't be a slide, it should be very high climbing, one that you gotta keep going and going because even if its gonna tear you apart, you have to do that for your long dead family and friends, for Sanctuary, for yourself.

If it's too short, it seems kinda dumb, it's not a via crucis, its a shortcut. Ney, it feels stupid because it is. I hope I'm not the only one that don't like to be taken by surprise when the game ends.

19. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

If they finish with a climb, we have a cliff hanger. In a way, the other two did, but it was a cliff hanger after a conclusion.

I'd hate the game / cinematic to end right before something big (climax).

20. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Jay, seriously, you should play Diablo I and beat it with all characters before making decisions for Diablo 3 especially for the ending content.

D1 Hell or D2 Hell? I guess everyone knows the answer.