NF's weekly guardian (#16/49)

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
NF's weekly guardian (#16/49)

Another week, another guardian. This time it's a druid, but not just any druid, it's my favorite one so far. Presenting:

Guardian Regret - Level 82 Druid

Stats without items:
Str: 125
Dex: 179
Vit: 176
En: 20

Life: 720
Mana 450

Relevant Skills:
20 Firestorm
20 Fissure
20 Tornado
20 Cyclone Armour

1 Grizzly
1 Oak Sage

5 Unspent

The elemental skills are all in the thirties with his gear.

Gear:
Switch 1: Earthshaker / Stormshield
Switch 2: Ondal's Wisdom
Helm: Ravenlore (FireFacett)
Armour: Skullder's Ire
Belt: Trang Oul's Girth
Gloves: Magefist
Boots: Waterwalk
Ammy: Mara's
Ring: SoJ x 2

4 Shimmering Grand & 4 Shimmering Small Charms

Damage:
Fissure: 1570-1650
Firestorm: 1950-2150
Tornado: 1560-1660

Resistances
75% for Lightning and Cold, around 30% for Fire and Poison

Might Merc: using Fortitude, The Reaper's Toll and Delirium Crown / Guillaume's Face. He does around 700-4000 damage or so. Pretty decent. And that's not even counting deadly strike or decrep... He's a killer.

Well, so much for the stats, now for the random rant. As you can see he's a fire / wind hybrid. Probably not something you see every day. At least I don't remember seeing one before. But believe it or not, it works pretty well. Fissure works great vs crowds, firestorm is decent vs single enemies and tornado does enough damage to deal with FIs. But truth to tell, I hate tornado. It's not that I can't hit with it, I can if I try. It's just not a very fun skill to use, imo. So I used fissure most of the time, followed by firestorm and tornado only against FIs.

The one point in oak sage is pretty much enough, too. He dies all the time but probably no more often than he did when maxed with my werewolf. He still takes my life from around 700 to around 1.2k and helps a bit. Grizzly does a good job of tanking, too. But he's a bit slow in moving to the front and doesn't really last as long as I'd like him to. Okay, I didn't really spend more than 1 point on him so I shouldn't expect too much.

Ancients were pretty easy. I stopped respawning them as soon as none were cursed and just cast fissure and ran around in circles until hte first one was down. Then I tanked the other 2 until my merc and my spells had killed them. (both stone skinned so it took a while).

MFwise he does good vs pindle and in all areas without too many fire immunes. Would do better if I could be bothered to aim tornado. Baal runs are okay but he lacks a good way to kill baal himself. But that's okay, I don't need another MFer. If I want to level him to 90 pindle can serve.

He only found one good item during his journey but the quality makes up for lack of quantity:

Vex Rune
Can be Inserted into Socketed Items

Weapons: 7% Mana stolen per hit
Helms: +5% to Maximum Fire Resist
Armor: +5% to Maximum Fire Resist
Shields: +5% to Maximum Fire Resist

Required Level: 55
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion

Dropped from a regular cadavar type monster in durance 2 in hell. My best rune drop ever. (excluding hellforge and cubing). Speaking of the forge, he got a Fal and an Um which makes up for the good drop I guess...

Well, that's it for this guy. I think I'll give him around 200 MF and run pindle for a while, just for kicks. See ya next guardian!

Nacaa

Diabloii.Net Member
Congrats! :D

Got any ideas where to spend those extra skill points? Grizzly?

You are way ahead of me now in our little competition ;) Pindle is a joke.

essojay

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, there are always more synergies, and there's OS. :)

Congrats on the guardian. :thumbsup:

whomhead

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice Guardian!

That Vex will look pretty secksie in a Heart of the Oak. Or is that too "standard" a use for it? :p

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
Congratulations, who's up next?

Nightfish said:
He only found one good item during his journey but the quality makes up for lack of quantity:

Vex Rune
Can be Inserted into Socketed Items

Weapons: 7% Mana stolen per hit
Helms: +5% to Maximum Fire Resist
Armor: +5% to Maximum Fire Resist
Shields: +5% to Maximum Fire Resist

Required Level: 55

Dropped from a regular cadavar type monster in durance 2 in hell. My best rune drop ever. (excluding hellforge and cubing). Speaking of the forge, he got a Fal and an Um which makes up for the good drop I guess...

Well, that's it for this guy. I think I'll give him around 200 MF and run pindle for a while, just for kicks. See ya next guardian!
I think getting a Fal and an Um is quite decent as a combination, nothing bad, just not over the top either.

I still need to find my first Um btw, not to mention getting my first guardian, something I won't be working on today anyway. My earlier runs (hell Meph and Maggot Lair) with my softcore sorceress went so bad that I feel a death coming up, and that better be a softcore character.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks fellas ;) Oh yeah, and sorry about your head, pinky... I hope you didn't need it anymore... I know I miss mine at times... :teeth:

whomhead said:
That Vex will look pretty secksie in a Heart of the Oak. Or is that too "standard" a use for it? :p
I'm glad you asked ;) The one thing I will most definetly not use the Vex for is a HotO. It does nothing I need. My sorcs have Eschuta's Temper, Tal's Set or the Occulus. My druid has his earth shaker. The necro has loads of wands and my bonemancer will be using a White Wand, I guess. My hammerdin has a spirit sword. So there is not really anything justifying me spending my precious Vex rune on a HotO. It doesn't make any build possible that I couldn't have played before.

What I really need is a Fortitude in the correct armour (Archon Plate). If I give it all I got, I think I can cube up another Vex which would bring me 50% of the way. Seeing how I still have 33 chars to play I think it is reasonable to assume a few Gul runes will come my way.

Another option I'm considering is a Silence Warpike / Amazon Spear for my fendzon.

Other than that I don't really need anything. Or rather, I need nothing I can realistically afford.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Sir Lister of Smeg said:
Congratulations, who's up next?
Not quite sure yet. Currently I'm running pindle for a bit to make Nacaa angry. The gris caddy he (pindle, not nacaa) coughed up on run #4 was a good way to get started, though.

Charwise I think I'm feeling something with physical damage now. Either my dual Fleshripper barb or my fendzon. Though I'd prefer to have some items for those first. A Fortitude archon plate for both and a decent second fleshripper for the barb. Maybe I'll quickly pull a sorc through the game while I wait for the items to drop. Shouldn't take more than a few hours to get a blizz sorc or similar from zero to guardian.

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
Not quite sure yet. Currently I'm running pindle for a bit to make Nacaa angry. The gris caddy he (pindle, not nacaa) coughed up on run #4 was a good way to get started, though.

Charwise I think I'm feeling something with physical damage now. Either my dual Fleshripper barb or my fendzon. Though I'd prefer to have some items for those first. A Fortitude archon plate for both and a decent second fleshripper for the barb. Maybe I'll quickly pull a sorc through the game while I wait for the items to drop. Shouldn't take more than a few hours to get a blizz sorc or similar from zero to guardian.
You're clearly evil (making Nacaa angry, going from zero to guardian in a few hours), and you enjoy it, but that's fine with me. If you do take a character very fast through the game, can you make a recording like the speedrun? Or maybe just write down the timescheme (like 0:00:00 created, 0:10:00 level 15 put points in warmth, etc)?

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll note down the time it takes me. If I think of it, that is... :teeth: Recording would be insane seeing how just a few minutes of game already take loads of space. And of course fraps makes my system lag like hell... >_<

logger120

Diabloii.Net Member
nice work nightfish. ive been messing around with dual elemeantal druids for awhile now (was think of making a guide but uzziah beat me to it and did a much better job than i could of). i like this character in particular b/c you can make good use of all 110 skill points and the some. plus there are so many different variations of this build. congrats now on to #17 gl.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Congrats (again). :clap:
So, you were playing Diablo there, using Firestorm. :D I have to try the Druid elemental skills sometimes. I haven´t done that since 1.09 (my Armageddon Hunter).

So, you think the bear died too quickly, eh? Why didn´t you spend the 5 surplus point in Dire Wolf, then?

Nightfish said:
Speaking of the forge, he got a Fal and an Um which makes up for the good drop I guess...
Sounds like you didn´t like this. That, my friend, is a very lucky combination in my book! If you hadn´t twinked a weapon for the merc, I am sure you would have liked it better. After Hell Hellforge would be the time to gamble a beyond-Cruel rare merc weapon and upgrade it to elite...

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
Congrats (again).
So, you were playing Diablo there, using Firestorm. I have to try the Druid elemental skills sometimes. I haven´t done that since 1.09 (my Armageddon Hunter).
Yes :D I liked that part. I'm not quite as impressive as the lord of terror, more like the Mini-me version of diablo but it was okay.

jiansonz said:
So, you think the bear died too quickly, eh? Why didn´t you spend the 5 surplus point in Dire Wolf, then?
Could have lasted longer, yes. But since the druid summon synergies work with +skills I didn't need to spend points. Or rather, the 5 points wouldn't have done that much. So I keep them. Maybe I'll plant them in act 1 and grow a skill tree... :teeth:

jiansonz said:
Sounds like you didn´t like this. That, my friend, is a very lucky combination in my book! If you hadn´t twinked a weapon for the merc, I am sure you would have liked it better. After Hell Hellforge would be the time to gamble a beyond-Cruel rare merc weapon and upgrade it to elite...
I wouldn't waste an Um rune to upgrade an item. Untwinked I'd have gone for an Honor, Insight or Obedience runeword. Or even crescent moon. Definetly not upgrading some rare item... The poor Um rune ;)

And since I'm twinking I don't need any more Um runes right now. I have 2 actual and 2-3 potential Um runes. But I'm sure we don't need to bring up the twinking vs no twinking debate here... Let's just say if I went untwinked I'd need to start leading a healthier life if I hoped to get my 49 guardians done...

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
I wouldn't waste an Um rune to upgrade an item. Untwinked I'd have gone for an Honor, Insight or Obedience runeword. Or even crescent moon. Definetly not upgrading some rare item... The poor Um rune ;)

And since I'm twinking I don't need any more Um runes right now. I have 2 actual and 2-3 potential Um runes. But I'm sure we don't need to bring up the twinking vs no twinking debate here... Let's just say if I went untwinked I'd need to start leading a healthier life if I hoped to get my 49 guardians done...
I think Honor is too slow and doesn´t pack enough punch, but I agree on Crescent Moon. Definately something to consider the day I find an Um in this version.

I thought too much like myself when I made the comment. It simply didn´t cross my mind that you can actually save the Um for another character. ;) This twinking stuff takes a while to sink in, you know...

Now, put yourself in my situation. Hell Hellforge has just dropped Um (or Fal, whichever came second). I may not have any Shaels left (they´re pretty useful!) or a good (3-socketed or plain) polearm to put it in. There is one act and a little more left of the game. My merc´s weapon is probably good, but nothing special. Maybe one of the lesser exceptional uniques, maybe an imbued ethereal elite with ~70% ED or so), or perhaps an Honor. Might as well use that upgrade if it can create a much better weapon!

The Vex wouldn´t be of much use for me (since the runewords associated with it requires other rare runes) but to get the runes for an exceptional -> elite upgrade (weapons in particular) is a rare and lucky event, something to cherish. I just wanted you to see that...

EDIT: I associate runes with different things, after their main uses as I see it. Shael means Rhyme, weapon speed and normal unique armor upgrades, Hel means unsocketing (with small Lionheart warning if one of the other two runes for it is available), Ith means Malice, +9 max. damage and Caster Belts. For me, Um speaks Crescent Moon, resists in armor and exceptional rare weapon upgrade.

EDIT 2: About your last sentence: Of course, it´s kind of hard to make a Ribcracker character without a Ribcracker... :D

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice one NF :) I was looking at the fireskills just the other day... firestorm really is a cool spell huh? :D

oh grats on the runes.

BuFa

Diabloii.Net Member
Dang, grats on the Guardian. Nice find on that Vex too O.O

Trying my own now, lv 34 druid but mainly summonning tree =)

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
Weekly guardian... I probably can't even make a weekly patriarch/matriarch. :D

Congrats (especially on the Vex)!

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks guys. :)

jiansonz said:
I think Honor is too slow and doesn´t pack enough punch, but I agree on Crescent Moon. Definately something to consider the day I find an Um in this version.
Honor doesnt pack a punch...? :scratch:

Honor
Lance
'AmnElIthTirSol'
Two-Hand Damage: 113 to 453
Durability: 13 of 13
Required Dexterity: 78
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 27
Spear Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Level: 48
Fingerprint: 0xeb8cbf73
+10 to Strength
+160% Enhanced Damage
+250 to Attack Rating
+9 to Minimum Damage
+9 to Maximum Damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +10
+1 to Light Radius
+1 to All Skill Levels
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
25% Deadly Strike
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (5: 5 used)

And that's only an exceptional weapon. Don't discount the deadly strike either... As for the speed... Well, this one still attacks at 10 FPA which is 2.5 attacks per second. Definetly not *that* slow. In contrast to that, my crescent moon thresher "only" attacks at 3.5 attacks per second but has no leech or deadly strike.