NF's 1.10 HC Berserker Guide

Metropolis Man

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish, I've been thinking about a Berzerker for awhile. Nice guide. I exclusively play at /players 8 and even with the added experience I was wondering what your general strategies were before obtaining Warcry and Berzerk...both level 30 skills. I'm assuming the barb will not even get these skills until Act III.

One point in weapon mastery and one point in Leap Attack are the only pre-Berzerk/Warcry skills that add damage to an attack in the build. Basically, I'm wondering at /players 8...how is one to survive until the big skills come at level 30?

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
You survive just fine, it just takes you ages to kill anything. If you get mobbed you can always howl your way out. I don't quite recall but I think I said somewhere that this build is very slow-going at the lower levels. No way around that, sorry. ^^ Twinking might help as would reducing the players.

chickenhed

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
You survive just fine, it just takes you ages to kill anything. If you get mobbed you can always howl your way out. I don't quite recall but I think I said somewhere that this build is very slow-going at the lower levels. No way around that, sorry. ^^ Twinking might help as would reducing the players.
Fish! Great to see you! How is life away from D2 treating you? :)

I know this isnt the place to ask that.... So I will keep it on topic. My Berserker I started a few months ago is doing very well. I haven't played him due to life being... well.... life. He's lvl 61 if I remember, and its fun to just wade in there with no fear. He's one tough bastard.

We shall see how hell goes ;)

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
How's life? Man, I tell you, it just keeps dragging on and on... thanks for asking. Nah, just kidding, life is okay. (and no, not just for lack of alternatives...) I'm in the process of wrapping up my master thesis but I'm kinda ... lazy is the word I guess ... so it's going slower than it should. Other than that I'm stuffing myself with quality sushi every chance I get, enjoying canibalism, if you will.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the zerker, he sure was fun back in the day when I still played. ^.^ But shame on you for trying to stay on topic :p

jwktiger

Diabloii.Net Member
Metropolis Man said:
Nightfish, I've been thinking about a Berzerker for awhile. Nice guide. I exclusively play at /players 8 and even with the added experience I was wondering what your general strategies were before obtaining Warcry and Berzerk...both level 30 skills. I'm assuming the barb will not even get these skills until Act III.

One point in weapon mastery and one point in Leap Attack are the only pre-Berzerk/Warcry skills that add damage to an attack in the build. Basically, I'm wondering at /players 8...how is one to survive until the big skills come at level 30?
Use Concentrate, trust me, this skill is a god sends for WW/Zerk barbs until 30. Damage bonus, AR bonus, Defence (which is very high) bonus. Even at one point this skill will work on hell (but by then you have 20 in BO). Since it only a lvl 18 skill you can have it by act I and have it be your main skill until 30.

chickenhed

Diabloii.Net Member
Nightfish said:
How's life? Man, I tell you, it just keeps dragging on and on... thanks for asking. Nah, just kidding, life is okay. (and no, not just for lack of alternatives...) I'm in the process of wrapping up my master thesis but I'm kinda ... lazy is the word I guess ... so it's going slower than it should. Other than that I'm stuffing myself with quality sushi every chance I get, enjoying canibalism, if you will.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the zerker, he sure was fun back in the day when I still played. ^.^ But shame on you for trying to stay on topic :p
I know the feeling. Well kinda. My girlfriend is going through the same thing with her masters thesis. Not fun to be around her as of late, let me tell you! :) I just seems like an insane amount of work that I simply would not be capable of. Good luck with that, Fish. And I hope to see you back here soon!

Back on topic: Uhh.... Zerkers are cool. Oh what jwktiger said is very much correct, Metropolis Man. Concentrate saved my muscular butt until I was 30, and beyond really.

Tohanry

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: NF's 1.10 HC Berserker Guide

Hey Fish....

Love the guide...been looking for what could be a pretty viable untwinked build for a zerker. I think this might be it. Heh...so I will be following your fishymancer and your zerker builds...

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

Good luck with that :) It's based on my own untwinked zerker so it should definetly work. The only thing I would change after two years of playing is the twinking section :)

Imortaldead

Diabloii.Net Member

what would you think good getting around the end or just somewhere in hell gear and would you say that full ik set would work well with this barb

tumorous

Diabloii.Net Member

Rings and Ammys: Only one recommendation here: 2 Angelic Rings and the Angelic Halo. That gives you insane AR - you'll need it. If you keep the Angelic Sickle on switch, the rings will give you another 50% MF each. Pretty handy if you ask me.
I found this a little confusing - it looks like you are suggesting that the 50% MF bonus applies even though the Sickle is not the active weapon. But the off-weapon does not give set bonuses (unless I'm hallucinating). Instead we basically have the Sickle as a better Gull...

I've been using the Mantle (along with the 2 Halos and Wings, of course) on my up-and-coming Berserker. It seems pretty lame... but given that I've already got the jewelry, it's giving +1 skills, +100% MF, +50% FR, +50 mana, 3 DR. It's like a ghetto Skullder's. Until taking damage starts to be a problem, I'll be wearing the green ring mail.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

I found this a little confusing - it looks like you are suggesting that the 50% MF bonus applies even though the Sickle is not the active weapon. But the off-weapon does not give set bonuses (unless I'm hallucinating). Instead we basically have the Sickle as a better Gull...
Obviously you need to switch to the sickle if you want the extra MF. The idea is to do that for the last hit on bosses.

It's like if I say "keep a demon limb in the cube for enchant". Yes, if you want to use the enchant you gotta take the item from the cube and then you put it back in when you're done with it. Of course it doesn't cast from the cube.

tumorous

Diabloii.Net Member

Obviously you need to switch to the sickle if you want the extra MF. The idea is to do that for the last hit on bosses.

It's like if I say "keep a demon limb in the cube for enchant". Yes, if you want to use the enchant you gotta take the item from the cube and then you put it back in when you're done with it. Of course it doesn't cast from the cube.
Yeah I guess that should have been obvious... I just got all excited for a minute when I read that and thought the set bonus would carry over :tongue:

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks a lot for this really great guide. :thumbsup:

It has inspired me to try out the build, in a distant future. Hopefully in a fun tournament situation.

I like it that the build works without super gear - although a super weapon obviously helps a lot. If you don´t do any runs, it will be hard to know what base item to aim for. The 2-handed Elite with the lowest combined STR/DEX requirement is the Feral Axe, which is probably what I will aim for. It requires only STR, and the values one needs to invest will be high enough to use War Clubs and Martels along the way.

I will make only a slight deviation from the skill suggestion - points from clvls 12-17 will all be spent in Find Item. All my barbs do that (playing single-pass and horking every corpse makes this a no-brainer).

Also, I need to come up with a plan to defeat the very rare but dreaded MI + PI boss...

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

Can MI/PI even happen? I never ever saw that combo in 40+ passes, I'm quite sure.

The way you play I guess it might make sense to have some find item and have about 170+Str 100+Dex. That should still leave plenty for vit (aka 160ish). Between howl and warcry you don't really need that big a lifepool.

Something like 20 Zerk, 15+ Howl / BO, 20 WC, 3 Find item, 1 in one pointers should be feasible to have in act 1 hell.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Can MI/PI even happen? I never ever saw that combo in 40+ passes, I'm quite sure.
A Stone Skin Plague Bearer or Wailing Beast should get it, unless it gets other resistance boosts that gives an immunity higher in the priority order. I have seen MI/PI of both of these monster types.

However, since I will likely only face 1 or 2 (if I am unlucky) it should go down with Anthrax poison damage or Open Wounds. Eventually.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

It's not like a barb had any inate abilities to handle this combo anyway...

Imortaldead

Diabloii.Net Member

your war cry does sound dam and there is nothing in the game that has def from that, just do not know how much dame you can get from it if your not a singer ^^
:scratch::fortuneteller:

LinkHimself

Diabloii.Net Member

How much damage can I expect to do with an upgraded (twice) Steeldriver at lvl 70-75? With a might merc btw.

And what weapon would be the absolute best for my berserker?

Interesting build. I want to try this, but how good is this for MF'ing Hell Mephisto and Baal/WSK? MF'ing is really the only fun I get from this game. :p
which of the gear can I substitute for MF?