NFL gameday

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
NFL gameday

Did anyone else watch this this morning? I swear, during the conversation about whether it was more important for Eli or Peyton to win tonight, old Tom Jackson turned to Micheal Irvin and said "Are you retarded?"

Maybe I heard wrong, but I swear I saw a rictus grin on the face of Ditka and Berman, and a certain shock on Irvin.

Now I'm not one for political correctness, but Disney is. Wonder what, if anything, will happen to Tom.

Did I hear this wrong?

Dutch

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I can't believe that word is PC-ed to oblivion now. I notice "moron" and "idiot" are still acceptable despite the fact that they mean exactly the same thing.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
I can't believe that word is PC-ed to oblivion now. I notice "moron" and "idiot" are still acceptable despite the fact that they mean exactly the same thing.
Well no, retarded refers to impeded development, and generally means people who are slow, have downes, etc, etc. People that have something wrong as opposed to just being an idiot.

I use it all the time, in its correct use and as slang, but I'm not Disney :)

Dutch

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Dutchman said:
Well no, retarded refers to impeded development, and generally means people who are slow, have downes, etc, etc. People that have something wrong as opposed to just being an idiot.

I use it all the time, in its correct use and as slang, but I'm not Disney :)

Dutch
Well, you'll have to excuse my use of dictionary.com, this definition is a bit lousy:

dictionary.com said:
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.
But anyway; idiot, moron and retard all mean exactly the same thing. In one sense they merely mean a stupid person, in another they actually refer to someone who is mentally impaired. Ever heard of an idiot-savant?

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
To me, idiot or moron means someone who is not smart. Retard means someone who has something wrong with them. I have few reservations that this does not mesh with dictionairy.com, and am little surprised that definition #1 is the modern slang, while 2 lags sadly behind as the original definition.

Whatever the case, apparently, both ESPN and TJ have issued apologies, though I have yet to sucessfully google them.

Dutch

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Give this one a try dondrei.

con?no?ta?tion?

1.an act or instance of connoting.
2.the associated or secondary meaning of a word or expression in addition to its explicit or primary meaning: A possible connotation of “home†is “a place of warmth, comfort, and affection.†Compare denotation (def. 1).

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
I notice "moron" and "idiot" are still acceptable despite the fact that they mean exactly the same thing.
/me hands you a clue

Where do you come up with these things?