Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newsweek says "oopsie", undermines credibility of US and its press

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, May 16, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Newsweek says "oopsie", undermines credibility of US and its press

Sweeet. Either some moron at Newsweek made a major oopsie, or the US press isn't nearly as "free" as we think it is. Either way, people are dying and jihad is being called for all over again.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/f0f2ccbe-c5c2-11d9-87fd-00000e2511c8.html

2. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

us press ? free ? hmm wait, this should be a joke, right ?

3. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

I like the fact that there are god knows how many people in Guantanamo Bay, none of whom (as far as I'm aware) we have been told why they've been detained there (I mean more that just the 'their terrorist' line), and the news story that causes the biggest upset, in the country many of these people are from, is one about a book being flushed down a toilet...

4. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

If we promise to flush copies of the bible and constution down the toilet and televise this event on live TV, you reckon that will stop the rioting and killing?

Yeah, me neither.

5. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

have they already started a koran down the toilet flash game? newsweek in a blender?

6. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Well we recently managed to get the one and only Swedish citizen out of Guantanamo Bay so now they can do whatever they want in there.

By the way why do Cuba allow USA to have a bae on thier island with prisoners?

7. Ash Housewares

the establishment of the military base at Guantanamo was granted when the US aided Cuba in gaining independence in the Spanish-American War

8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, I'm glad that I had the sense to open the week with the 'Runaway Bride' thread instead of this one. :)

That being said, one legitimate point from my (admittedly Christian & mostly conservative) point of view: Why do we give a rotten potatoe what these Islamic fascist types are doing, when people of the same ilk have desecrated churches, burned Bibles, slaughtered priests, & so forth - moreover, you constantly find mention of anti-Hindu violence by them. Why are they getting a free pass on moral outrage?

If Southern Baptists were rioting for similar trivial reasons, the media would be in full-sneering-press mode...

9. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Wierd that Cuba didnt tear it down after USA tried to invade Cuba and got thier butts kicked at the bay of pigs (gotta love that name).

10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You've not got a grasp on the history, and that is nothing to be ashamed of - most Americans don't really get it either.

The posessions were in U.S. custody prior to the Cuban Revolution. They were fully-legal military bases.

The Bay of Pigs was an illegal invasion, sponsored by JFK and the CIA, using Cuban insurgents and soldiers of fortune. To comply with the window dressing, the U.S. tried to pretend it was a legitimate revolution. There were supposed to be supportive U.S. military air strikes, but at the last minute JFK backpedalled. The resulting scandal was over the CIA using these mercenary forces to try overthrowing Castro's gov't, particularly since it was an open secret by the time it occurred.

If the op had been a supported military program, it would have succeeded, but JFK would have been labelled a warmongering imperialist...

11. Ash Housewares

better move by Castro was to gain support and sympathy rather than retaliate, and he squeezed money & supplies out of us in prisoner exchange

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Just a question...was adding the "e" to potato a deliberate tribute to Mr. Quayle?

13. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Honestly, I seriously doubt that. If we believe what the right-wing press would have us believe, the so-call Elite (see established and presumably left-wing of course) Media is rabidly anti-war and would rather put a solid hit on the Administration than tweak the noses of a few Baptists.

As for the legitamate point of view... listen hard and you can hear about anti-muslim violence perpetrated by Hindu's aswell as the opposite, violence on Muslims by other Muslims, and violence against them by governments too.

Seriously, the Iraq War is dominating the headlines to the extent that all other world issues are being drowned out. This is a bad thing, but above all it gives none of us a balanced picture of the world around us and leads to the reactionary views expressed on these boards, in the large media emporiums, and populations groups as a whole.

14. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

I've been trying for years to be labelled as a warmongering imperialist...

15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Hang around here a little while...

16. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

You're really only a cranky bureaucrat at the moment... but keep working on it!

17. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

SZ, I like you too much to debate, plus I wouldn't want to waste U.S. tax dollars doing so. But I respectfully disagree - and I'd freely admit that a lot of the bile I get comes from places like http://www.mideastweb.org/index.html & http://www.frontpagemag.com/ , which are readily dismissed as biased, etc. etc. However, this anti-Western/Christian 'holier than thou' mentality had been simmering far before even Gulf War #1. I recall being told once when I was in your neck of the woods that if I really understood the plight of the Palestinians then I would endorse them slaughtering Jews too. He cited the oft-mentioned 'millions' of dead Palestinians to boot. This from the fat, rich son of an oil cartel VIP.

It isn't like I don't understand the upset by Muslims about the supposed incident. But to cede moral high ground to them? Uh-uh.

18. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

:lol: I remember that.... sooo dumb

19. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

The question is not whether it's alright to flush people's beliefs down the toilet as a means of interrogation. (although that topic could go 3-4 pages in this forum).

The question is whether Newsweek "screwed the pooch". I think they did, and a lot of mayhem ensued. Lessons should have been learned from CBS News and New York Times incidents of recent past.

The next question is if someone yells "fire" in a crowded theater and some people are trampled to death, would he be legally responsible if there was indeed no fire at all. I have to think yes.

20. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

In all honesty, I also spell defense, behaviour, and armour properly. Just not consistently, since I don't want red lines all over my e-mail. Damn you, Micro$oft spell checker!!!