Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newsflash .... Archmage Solos hell

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Stormcryer, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

Newsflash .... Archmage Solos hell

It's been a great night. I finally decided to stop Mfing and finish up the game to see if my Archmage build could do it.

When I started the build, the "deal"(bet actually) I had with a playing buddy, was that I would have to solo the game from start to finish. (That I felt was not going to be a problem)

Then he hit me with the conditions. I could not twink, get rushed, nor could I join any multiplayer game nor ask for any help along the way. (This too I felt was not going to be a problem)

Then he brought out the big club....I had to complete the game within 85 levels. (No time limit, but a level limit). This last condition got me nervous. His attitude was that most players stop leveling after 85 or so and use their sorcs for MF running, so if I wanted to prove to him that the archmage was viable, I should stick to this limit as most players would not level up to 99 just for the sake of making a build viable.

Tonight, Champion Shadowwhisper became Matriarch Shadowwhisper.

Now I have quested so many chars through the game I can't remember all their names, let alone their builds (so putting another char through the game sholdn't be a big deal. But this one's a little more sweeter than the others as it came after all the crying that Bilzzard (the game company) gutted the sorc to the point that the archmage was to go the way of the dinosaur.

People cried that the sorc had no killing power and even less backbone to survive without the help of other players in a multiplayer game. (Anyone herel remember the crying that happened when the beta was first released.?)

Well tonight I finally put those fears to rest.

The build is published is the stickied post on the archmage, and she breaks every "rule" of sorc building.

1) Shes a tri-elementalist
    2) Shes uses the Tal Set and not "uber" EQ.
    3) She's a max block (big points in Dex), get into the battle, type char

Here's the really sweet part.(for SC players that is) She only died twice while questing. (once to an Oblivion Knight in Chaos Hell, and the other because her handler (me) wasn't paying attention and hit the Windows key in the middle of a major fire fight.

So to all of you who say that the archmage isn't viable, I say this....

She soloed the entire game, and can mf anywhere (with a little caution) that I want her to. Archmage = viable.

To the rest of the Archmage builders I say this...

:thumbsup: :drink: :winner:

Cheers!

Storm

2. offline5555

offline5555 IncGamers Member

Congrats.....

I can certainly feel your PRIDE! hahaa... Good Job! :worship:

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Finally proof to the liability of the archmage build. I hhope we can finally stomp the "OH dear a Tri Elementalist cant get throughthe game alone" sayers.
    As you said in another post. The onyl think an Archmage might be lacking is a superior killing speed compared to 2-tree or single-tree builds :thumbsup: and :buddies: Stormcryer!!
    Commencing on my build with BLizz instead of FO, doing fine sofar, but that char is twinked, no restrictions.
    The fact that you did that char with those restrictions speaks not only for your playing skill but also for the Archmage build :teeth:

4. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Did you use a mercenary?

5. ConFusion

ConFusion IncGamers Member

Gz on your win. Now try hardcore ;) Did you actually die? One little thing caught my attention:

If tal's set isn't 'uber'... then what is? :S

6. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Heart of the oak + Chains of honor + Shako + 2skills 20 fcr amulet + arachnid's mesh.

7. prion

prion IncGamers Member

most players shouldn't expect to find ANY full set in the course of normal playing of the game. How many mf runs did you do?

8. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

To all,

I broke the conditions down into specifics becasue I didn't want there to be any confusion but ended up adding more confusion, (It was early in AM when I finished up playing and was a little groggy when I posted.)

The actual condiditon that my buddy set down was that I was to limit my gaming to what we determined were Blizzard's intentions for the game. I could only use the resources that Battle.net offered as part of the game. For the purposes of the bet we decided that twinking, rushing, and obtaining in-game playing help was outside the spirit of either B.net, and the idea of solo play.

WhenI aksed him about using a merc, his response was as it was part of a quest reward, and the intention of Blizzard that a merc could be should be used, a merc was allowed.

I use an Act 2 defiance merc from normal and leveled him right along from the beginning.

The BIG negotiation was over trading.

As trading is a part of the "online" community I argued that tradiong should be allowed. Also, as every guide printed (including the one that came in the Battle Chest) suggested that you should take time inbetween acts and "gain exp" by re-running the acts, I argued that MF running was therefore within the linits of the B.net expectations. (Hence the hundreds of MF runs)

I did not find the entire Tal Set, For the record I found the Mask, Ammy, orb, and belt. I traded for the armor as well as my ali and ryhmed grim shield). I did however, find the viser, (and runes to upgrade it) my war travs, mage fists, and 2 sojs.

As to mf runs.....I stopped keeping a record after 1000. (All Andy, Meph and pit runs with the rare occasionaly diablo run)

I didn't consider the Tal Set "uber" as it can be found and traded for with relative ease especially when you consider the runes required for HOTO, chains, etc or the percentage of chance to find elite items considering the vast majority of my mf runs were against Meph.

In essence I played the game, and traded as per what most would consider "average" play and trading.

To sum up, any player with skill in playing and trading, and enough patience and effort could reproduce my results.

Storm