Newcommer, D2 Installation Help

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member
Newcommer, D2 Installation Help

I got the Diablo Battlechest yesterday and today i tried to install it, but wont work.

So i put in the installation disk, then when it asked me about Installation Size, I chose Multiplayer which is 950MB and i have 21.6GB in my Hard Drive. When it asked me to put in the "play disk", i put it in but the disk has been in for about 30 minutes, and where it says Installing Diablo, the bar hasn't advanced neither has the bar that says Task.

If anybody could help me i would be very appreciated

-thanks

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Newcommer, D2 Installation Help

Are you using windows or mac? I'll assume windows for now. I'll also assume that you've tried it several times, not just once. Defrag your hard drive and make sure that the computer is reading cds. Open each cd in explorer to be sure that it's able to read properly. If the problem persists, you should probably call tech support (there should be a free 800 number) or take it back to the store and tell the one of the discs doesn't work and you want a replacement.

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, it's Windows, i've tried several times, i did everything you said but it doesn't work, im guessing its my computer, oh and if its any help at all, i have the shareware version of D2. Yeah my computer causes many problems for me. Oh and the disks are fine and everything, i installed it on my friends computer fine but won't work on my computer.

Last edited:

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

I strongly recommend that you edit the last sentence out of your post. (And reread the forum rules!)

Do you mean that you already have the demo installed, and you're now trying to install the version you bought? I'm not familiar with the shareware version per se. If you are trying to install the full version (bought from a store for ~20 dollars) after having tooled around with the SW version, then remove the SW version, and then try installing again.

I'm now a little confused as to what you're doing. Please explain again, and be as clear as possible.

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry, forgot about that rule.

Ok so i have the ShareWare Version installed, and D2 is the first computer game i ever bought so that's probably why i'm messing up.

When i opened the box, it came with 3 disks, Cinematics, Install, and Play disk.
I put in the Install disk and then a screen came up and i clicked Install Diablo II.
Then it gave me options of how i wanted my installation.
They were Single-Player (650 MB), Multi-Player (950 MB), and Full (1550 MB).
I chose Multi-Player.
Then it took me to the directory screen and i chose the default directory.
It then asked me if i wanted a shorcut to my desktop and i chose yes.
Then this is where it asked me to put in the Play Disk.
I put it in and clicked OK.
There were 2 bars showing, one called "Installing Diablo II" and "Task". Neither were advancing.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Actually, the BattleChest comes with Diablo, the three disks of Diablo II and LoD Expansion disk.

Remove the trial version from your computer. Totally. Then install. If it won't, then I suggest your drive is stuffed.

Oh and I suggest your friend buys his own copy.

EDIT: No, restarting is not normal. Do what I said above and clean the CD's for good measure. If that fails ... I'd say your drive is foobar'd.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

Okay. First things first. I think you should uninstall the SW version. Then try it all again.

Thyiad: Pwned. As he said, you really should have 5 discs. If you bought the battle chest, and only got 3 disks, you should get a new set on that basis.

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member

Oh yeah i got the 5 disks, but since you were referring to the Diablo II that costs 20 dollars, i said the 3 but yeah i got everything.

Oh and to also add on there, every time it fails to install, i have to restart my computer, is that normal or what. Let me restart it and see what happens.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

You have to ask if it's normal for Windows to have to restart? Just kidding. Yeah, I'd call that normal. When Windows encounters a serious problem, the default response is: Restart.

EDIT: Don't read that as a serious problem for you, I just mean like a memory leak or something. Nothing to worry about.

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member

I seriously hate my computer, un-installed the ShareWare Version, did what it said on the screen and still at the same spot as before.

The CD-Key works and everything it's just my computer i guess.

Gorny

Banned

so you bought the battle chest but you had a share ware version installed. those two dont mix. then again im not sure the game has a share ware version. maybe illegal download of the game?

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Oh there is a trial version, Gorny. Can't get out of Act I, IIRC.

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member

im getting a new computer in 2 months, i'll hold onto it til then, very nice prima guide it has oh and the original diablo installed fine...

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

Call the tech support phone number (it should be free). Be prepared to answer a lot of stupid question. For starters, the same things that we've said already.

After that, you may need to reinstall windows if you want to play D2. EDIT: Yeah, maybe you should just wait a bit.

Oh there is a trial version, Gorny. Can't get out of Act I, IIRC.
Act One, Barbarian only.

Gorny

Banned

Don't rely on any printed Diablo guides you find out there, or ones out of the box ...they're out of date. Waaay out of date.

@never knew about the trial.

/off to WoW land.

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member

After that, you may need to reinstall windows if you want to play D2.
What do you mean by reinstall windows, sorry for my stupid questions, don't know much about computer except basics

Gorny

Banned

What do you mean by reinstall windows, sorry for my stupid questions, don't know much about computer except basics
Reinstall your Operating System is what he meant.

If it came pre-installed with your comp, you will have a back up disk or something like that. Otherwise, you will need to either reinstall using the software for your OS that you (or whoever owns the comp) bought if they installed the current OS over an older one.

If those aren't an opton the only way to reinstall an OS is to go out and buy the software, like Windows VistaBasic or XP (older less available).

In any event, reinstalling an OS wipes (in the event that you format the drive first) everything on your comp, it will be like brand new, no drivers, software, anything except what's out of the box. If you don't reformat then it installs over your old one (possibly on a partition) and even though it's like starting over again, you still have space on your drive taken up by the old OD install and software that you can't do anything about - or maybe you can but it's complicated stuff.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

Exactly what gorny said, but since you expect to get a new computer in couple of months, you definitely don't want to bother with reinstalling windows. It's easy if you know what you're doing, but the annoying part is getting everything back the way it was (I assume you have a fair bit of other software on your computer). Since you seem to have never done it before, it's not worth the trouble.

If windows came pre-installed, it probably isn't possible to reinstall and also keep all the files you have right where they are (there's only one partition). You'd have to make a backup copy of the files you want, and then reinstall.

rrr

Diabloii.Net Member

I've done it before, just didn't know what it was called, and yes i do have a bunch of software and it's just a pain to install it back. Oh and i might get a brand new computer tomorrow.

Another question, why did my computer have 74.2 GB to begin with and i bought it for almost 700$ and it's the worst ever.

Gorny

Banned

the 74.2 is not what makes your comp the worst ever. actually thats a decent amount of storage. the 74.2 g is your hard drive space. and by itself really does nothing to hamper your computer's performance. how much memory do you have? 256 mb? 512? 1gig? what processor and speed do you have? ( example: pentium 4 at 1.8 ghz or something like that) also consider what other programs and processes are running at the same time in the background.