Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newcomer, Help me with gear for my Frenzy Barb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Desolancer, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Desolancer

Desolancer Diabloii.Net Member

Hello

I'm new to D2 and I'm enjoying it. I'm playing solo on 1.12 because I'm using the resolution hack (improvement D2multires).

I am a Frenzy Barb (CLVL 78) and I'm hitting a brick wall on HELL act 2. It is surely because of the gear.

I like to add that I am playing self found and I am probably poor :D. I will list here my current gear in the hope of you guys or gals help me out with what can or should I change gear wise.

What can I craft or what I can easily get. I'm not talking about endgame gear because that I already found on the net, however RNG Gods have a different vision for me :D.

Helm
    - Sigon
    Armor
    - Rockfleece
    Belt
    - Belt with +20 STR (I need + 20 for weapon)
    - It has no other stat on it
    Gloves
    - Laying of Hands
    Boots
    - Sigon
    Rings
    - Manald Heal
    - Rare Ring with lifesteal, cold resist, half freeze
    Amulets
    - +3 To Masteries
    Weapons
    - The Fetid Sprinkler
    - Earthshaker

My stats are the following:
    STR 102
    DEX 35
    VIT 348
    INT 10
    Unspeant 25

Skills:
    Sword Mastery 1 will be 20 (but I figured to upgrade this last until I get desired weapons)
    Battle Orders 20 (This is only at 10 now)
    Double Swing 20
    Frenzy 20
    Taunt 20
    Bash 1
    Battle Cry 1
    Double Throw 1
    Increased Stamina 1
    Increased Speed 1
    Iron Skin 1
    Natural Resists 2
    Howl 1
    Shout 1
    3 points for Berserk (2 pre-requirements and 1 in actual skill)

Let me know if you need anymore details and I will provide.

Thank you!

2. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

@Desolancer Hi, welcome to the forum!

I think you'll definitely want to upgrade to 1.13+ because the rune drops are much, much better!

Check out the Forum Accepted Mods FAM in the stickies because the resolution thing you're using is not part of the accepted mod list (fair warning, you might get a bit of flak for this...).

3. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

The area great low-mid level runewords u can use that provide useful stats. Whats runes do u have? And do you use rwm?

4. Desolancer

@ioupainmax Thank you for that rune info. I did not know that. I know the mod is not acceptable however I have a 32 inch screen. 800X600 on this hardware looks soo soo bad. But I might try to go without for a bit of farm.

@Gynli I have no runes words whatsoever,I do not really understand how these runes work. In the sense I found weapons with +3 sockets. But they had terrible dmg, under 30. I figured I should not upgrade those weapons with runewords. Is my assumption bad ?
    I don't know what rwm is.

5. Gynli

@Desolancer
    Yes patch 1.13 boosted the runedrop rates by a lot. If you can, do upgrade to 1.13+.

As @ioupainmax pointed out, resolution hack is not a forum accepted mod (FAM); have a look at the sticked posts first.
    If the hack changes the resolution in such a way that it reveals more of the map than the 800x600 does; it's a definite nono. If all it does is simply increase the resolution and does not reveal more of the map; then have a look at 'glide wrapper'. But i can't recall if this is forum accepted; hold off on this until someone else can confirm this...

iirc I've seen a handful of ppl on the forum use it, but since I personally do not use the glide wrapper; can someone confirm that glide wrapper is forum accepted?

EDIT: had another look at the guide. Glide Wrapper is a FAM; and it should be what you are looking for.

Runewords are very strong items that you can make by socketing certain runes in certain order in a certain item.
    It will turn otherwise useless items into something you can use till the end game.
    Keep any mid-high runes you find; it'll prove useful sooner or later.

Definitely have a look at the Mat/Pat thread sticked up top; and look for frenzy barbs with an asterisk(*) beside it. * means it's untwinked, meaning all items were self-found.
    Each Mat/Pat thread will list the gear/stat/skill at the very list, and manhy will include a detailed writeup of their progression through the game. I've learned more from reading these threads than from actually playing the game.

Lastly, RWM is short for runeword mod. It's a forum accepted mod that lets singleplayer gain access to ladder-only runewords. The sticked post uptop will explain in detail what they are, and how to install them if you decide to use it.

Good luck on your barb!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runewords.shtml

^ this link explain about runewords, in the end there are lists of all the runewords in d2.

Basically you can make runewords in sockted (white or gray?) items in a specific order.

There are some runewords like steel, streanth, leaf, etc that you can easily find the runes for them (kill the countsess several times) so you can make several copies once you find a better base.

On top of the page choose 'Crafted Items) take a look at 'blood items' and 'hit power' items - another option for weapons and armor for your barb.

Hope it will help and good luck with your char

7. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry for double post, forgot to adress the equipment question...

I must ask few questions first:
    What are your resists?
    Do you hit the break points for attack speed and hit recovery?
    What is your attack rating?
    Are you using a merc and which one?

For a melee build (self found and few gear options) I would focus on:

Max resists (smoke runeword is a good option here)
    Reach some hit recovery break points
    ( charms, helms, armor, belts)
    Crashing blow (you have it on armor but try to get it on weapons)

As for strategy.....until you find better equipment, put a point in War Cry and use it to stun the monsters to prevent them from fleeing/attacking you.
    You can also use battle cry to improve your chanse to hit and decrease their damage.

8. Desolancer

@Gynli
    Yes I forgot to mention I am not playing on bnet because of my mod, only offline, as you are correct I see much more of the map.

I will give a go on this Glide Wrapper you are mentioning and if I can improve the graphics abit without making the map larger, I am to understand that I can go on bnet this way ?

And it seems I deffinatly need to check out those runewords.
    I got a couple of questions here.
    Does the item in which I will use the runewords matter at all?, or are all the stats overwritten?
    Should I choose a weapon, make an elite version of it and only then use runewords? I am really noob :D

@mir
    resists for cold and fire are about 30%
    electric and poison are -1

break points I actually don't understand these (30 year old, and I cannot call myself a hardcore gamer anymore)
    - I will do abit of reading on it

attack ratting is 3100 and 3600 (because of Sigon 2piece (800 rating))

I am using a act 3 cold merc from normal I think: Ajheed

9. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

I would make one or two "Strength" (Amn + Tir in whatever weapon you picked for your mastery) runeword and go farm Andariel for gear upgrades. You could also use Angelic Ring + Amulet for that nice boost in AR. If you find a weapon with Target Slow XX%, keep it in the other hand when farming bosses, as It's great crowd control.

Finding Amn could give you a challenge with that gear, since running Countess can be though with poor gear.

If NM Lower Kurast drops Amn runes, I'd go there. Roll a good map with two campfires close to the WP. Or don't focus too much on the map, as Amn tens to drop there pretty frequently.

Also, get an NM Act 2 Might merc.

10. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

As for runewords, you have to make them in regular item (not blue/yellow/gold) those items dont have any special mods except small bonus for defence/damage/attack rating (only on 'superior' items).
    Except damage and defense (depend on the base) the other bonuses will stay the same.

Upgrading an item is possible for rares and uniqes which can't be used for runewords.
    There are some items that worth to upgrade to elite version but then again it usually take a useful rune (lem/pul) which you can use elsewhere.

The link in my post, under the 'files' section contain useful links and excel table for breakpoints and speed calculator.

The act 3 mercs are less effective with a fast moving builds like frenzy barb, the move more = less casting. The act2 merc is a better option if you have the gear for him. Consider using might (NM offensive) or blessed aim (hell/normal offensive). My advise is to take the blessed aim one to improve your chance to hit.

As a last resort you can try and shop for a wand with life tap charges and use it on weapon switch, costly but it can help you survive better.

Keep us updated and any further questions are welcome

11. Desolancer

This has been very helpful and will keep me busy for 1 week at least.

Will keep you posted with my progress.

Thank you all for the info shared here, I was completely lost, I know where to look now.

12. Desolancer

OMG, thank you so much this Glide tool is just perfect!!!

Awesome!!!

Can I play on bnet with this tool on ?

d2Glide.jpg
    Drool!!!

13. Gynli

@Desolancer glad it worked out! I can't tell you if it'll work with bnet.
    My guess would be that it's perfectly fine to do so, since all it does it change the size of the window...
    but I haven't played Bnet since 1.09; so don't take my word for it...
    I'm sure someone else will come along and confirm that for you.
    Also, what's that 'DIABLO' in the background window?

14. Desolancer

@Gynli It is nothing right now, it will be Diablo 1 with D3 graphics at some point if I will be able to get the mechanics at a decent level in Unreal Engine.

15. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

I used a Lawnringer in the offhand of my Frenzy Barb. Now, I am sure the Grief Phase Blade in the main hand was the main force, but the Sanctuary aura on Lawbringer and CTC Decrepify was really nice. Are there better alternatives, yes, but Amn, Lem, and Ko are very easy to find.

16. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, that sounds so cool !!!

@darkstarhub I agree. Dual Griefs aren't the only way to play a Frenzy Barb, and a Lawbringer has a lot going for it. Check out this thread about a dual Crescent Moon / dual Lawbringer setup for example. I have tried a Crescent Moon / Death combo in SP a few years after that, and it worked wonders.

17. Desolancer

Hmm, I will check this Lawbriger (I apparently have the runes for this one). Grief I know it's good but I don't have the runes yet. AM LVL 80 now ( it's starting to ding slow :) )