Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newcomer Hammer Help

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Trionth, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Newcomer Hammerdin Help

I am 3 days new to Diablo II LoD. I was told to start on Nightmare, and Non-Ladder (USWest.) I have never played any of the previous Diablos, but I am really enjoying the game. I have spent many hours searching for guides to the game, and finally have somewhat of a grasp of how things work, however I do not know all the abbreviations and other such shortcuts in speech pertaining to the game.

The main purpose of this thread is to get some help setting up my charecter.

Watching my friend play, I've really come to like the Hammerdin, it's just something about the circles of hammers annihlating monsters.

This is my goal.

I started a paladin, and have messed up his skills and stats, but I'm told I can reset and fix it once I get up in level a ways. What I need help with is equipment.

I have found what my "ultimate" equipment goal is, but it seems nearly immpossible to obtain due to money and well, the rarity of the items. Here it is:

Skill Trees

Defensive Auras
    1 - Prayer
    1 - Cleansing
    1 - Defiance
    1 - Redemption
    1 - Salvation
    20 - Vigor

Offensive Auras
    1 - Might
    20 - Blessed Aim
    20 - Concentration

Combat Skills
    1 - Holy bolt
    1 - Smite
    1 - Charge
    12 - Holy Shield
    20 - Blessed Hammer

Stats
    Strength: Enough to Equip Items (is there a way to figure this out?)
    Dexterity: Enough for 75% block with Holy Shield (same with this?)
    Vitality: Everything Else
    Energy: None

Items (what I want eventually)

Helm: Harlequin Crest Shako
    Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope
    Rings: Stone of Jordan and/or Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
    Body Armor: Archon Plate or Dusk Shroud (3-socket) (Enigma)
    Gloves: Magefists
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Boots: Sandstorm Trek
    Weapon: Flail (4-socket) (Heart of the Oak)
    Shield: Herald Of Zakarum
    Weapon Switch: Flail (5-socket) (Call to Arms)
    Shield Switch: Scourg (4-socket) (Spirit)

[I'm not too worried about a Merc yet as I haven't even gotten to Act 2...]

Mercenary: Act 2 Desert Mercenary -- combat (prayer)

Mercenary's Items
    Weapon: Giant Thrasher (Insight)
    Helm: Veil of Steel
    Body Armor: Archon Plate or Dusk Shroud (Chains of Honor)

For this set-up I need these runes

Jah
    Ral x2
    Dol
    Ith
    Mal
    Um
    Ber x2
    Ist x2
    Ko
    Ohm
    Vex
    Tal x2
    Pul
    Tir
    Amn x2
    Sol

These charms would be nice
    Paladin Hellfire Torch
    Annihilus (essential to every build, right?)
    20 life small charms (w/extra mods) (I don't know what those are)
    20 Lion Branded grand charms (w/extra mods) (I don't know what those are either, thats just what a friend said)

----------------------------------

So, there it is...

What I need is something to start with. Some good Hammerdin worthy equipment that I can obtain myself relatively simply (i.e. using runes from the Countess)

I pretty sure fast cast rate (FCR?) is a crucial part of a hammerdin, and so is damage. Could you help me out a bit?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. Occulus cant be ethereal

Occulus cant be ethereal IncGamers Member

Re: Newcomer Hammer Help

A cheaper hammerdin doesnt use a 'nigma or a call to arms. Their armor is usually vipermagi or que hagans. Maras is any pally skill ammy with resistances. A heart of the oak is replaced buy a wizardspike. Rings are any with cast rate, resists, mana, etc.

Those are the most expensive pieces of equipment that a hammerdin has.

You can play with you hammerdin and still do good damage, have ok defense and resists in hell. The problem is you wont be as fast. Your cast rate will be slower and not as much damage. The enigma allows you to teleport and is the most critical piece of equipment for the build but it requires 2 high runes.

Over time and playing more, you will eventually have things to trade for the runes to make an enigma.

3. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

The easiest way to figure out Strength requirements is to obtain all the gear you'll be using, then putting them on one at a time according to Strength requirements. This usually was a pain for people who didn't have the gear prior to making the build, but the 1.13 patch allows respec of skill/attribute points with relative ease. As a general rule of thumb, if you're using Enigma, logic dictates that you'll probably only need as much Strength as what the base armor requires.
    Max Block: http://www.baronsbazaar.invisionzone.com/ppr/block_calc.html

A Lion Branded Grand Charm is a Grand Charm that gives +1 to Combat Skills on any Paladin's skill tree. And it being a Grand Charm, the maximum number you'll need will be 10, 9 if you need to carry the Hellfire Torch as well.

As for starting with some easy to obtain equipment--most Hammerdins won't be that much fun to play until you can at least reach level 65 (which is the level requirement for Enigma).

FCR: With your current ideal setup, you will have 10-frame casting (75FCR). While some people stress this is enough, the other option is to reduce damage output slightly and aim for 9-frame casting (125FCR). Easily do-able if you switch your gear around (and possibly much cheaper).

-Kinky

4. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

I realize that what I put down is the most expensive, it's more of a long-term goal. I think Viper-magi will be reasonably easy to get, and I assume wizardspike it too.

Thanks for the information!

Kinky, thanks for the link, that's awesome. Is there a way to increase my Cast Rate with some not so rare rune-words or items?

5. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

vipermagi
    wizardspike
    magefist gloves
    Trang Ouls gloves
    rare rings - gamble with gold
    spirit shield

plus more that i've probably forgotten

6. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

The build is simple. Just like you explained above but I would rather use mp enigma than ap due to str req. Use vipermagi until you get rich enough for enigma.

7. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Awesome! I looked up the stats, and those should be able to carry me through whatever I need. Thanks Shanskie.

What is "ap enigma" and "mp enigma"?

8. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Also, I assume that to cast Blessed Hammer will cost mana, is this usually an issue finding gear that boosts enough, or do you just cary a ton of mana pots?

9. Shanksie1337

archon plate / mage plate

/edit

leveling up, max BH last (well 2nd last before Holy Shield), that way the mana cost doesn't go up.
    And ofc the 1 point in redemption

10. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Okay. Where do you go to reset your Characters stats and Skills. I was told that you receive all the points back to use, I just don't want to get too far into the build if I actually can't do it.

11. Shanksie1337

Akara, act1, after completeing the Den of Evil Quest i think, so you get 3 resets, 1 normal, 1 nightmare and 1 Hell.

Plus reset tokens can be bought cheaply or farmed, so dont worry as you can reset pretty much infinitely. Before you ask:
    Hell Andy + Duriel have a chance to drop Essence A
    Hell Mephi can drop Essence B
    Hell Diablo can drop Essence C
    Hell Baal can drop Essence D
    A+B+C+D into cube = respec token

12. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

You are playing on NL?

Leech diabots and cube the flawless gems and sell them in bundles of 40. This way, after selling 80 pgms, you will get yourself an enigma. :thumbup: (40pgms = HR on NL)

13. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

(NL= Non-Ladder?) Yes, I'm on Non-Ladder.

14. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Could you possibly explain? Cube refers to the horadric, right? And that combines items to form runewords and stuff, so what does it do to gems?

15. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

What he meant was to follow Chaos running bots or Baal bots, and pick up the Flawless gem drops (because most bots aren't set to pick those up), and cube them. 3 of any Flawless makes a Perfect Gem/Skull.

Also, as far as cheap FCR gear goes, Wizardspike will be the first thing you want to look for. With a massive 50% FCR bonus and some good caster modifications, it really is godly for the price you can get it for.
    Anything between 49FCR to 74FCR won't do you any good (as well has the gap between 76FCR to 124FCR), and most cheap FCR gear doesn't give you a heck of a lot.

Another cheap alternative is to get yourself a Spirit Runeword. However, Spirit cannot be made in Non-Ladder, so chances are you will have to trade for one.

-Kinky

16. Trionth

Trionth IncGamers Member

Okay, I've gotten Wizardspike, and magefist gloves, and some decent rings and amulets to boost caste rate and mana regen. I need to get:
    Spirit
    Vipermagi
    Sandstorm Trek's
    and a helm, so... if anyone wants to sell me any of those... shoot me an email.

I have a 3/4ths full set of... I can't remember, and quite a few runes, one ith, 4 elds, and others I can't remember. So, yeah. Hit me up if you want any of those, or will sell me anything.

17. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

With regards to the gems, if you want to get most value for your money, be sure you separate your P Amethysts and P Rubies (The purple and red ones) from the rest, because those 2 are worth about twice as much as other P gems due to their use in Crafting. Also, P Skulls are not counted as a P 'Gem' as such, because it cannot be used for Grand Charm rerolling (AKA GC rolling), but still worth stocking up.

Collecting Jewels is also pretty constant income as well, plenty of junk jewels people throw away. A large number will yield quite a bit of income. Again, these are used in Crafting. By junk jewels, it means any magical jewel that doesnt have Resists, 25%+ Enhanced damage, 15% increased attack speed (IAS).

I'd say only to keep runes that are ith or better, since the lower ones have very little value, except Nef. I'd certainly ignore El's and Elds. Rals and Tals should be kept, Ral is used for crafts and Tals for either Spirit set or cube to Ral.

When you are making spirit, be SURE to use a paladin shield, not a Monarch. Monarch are for other classes, because thats the lowest shield that has 4 sockets. Practically every Paladin shield (bar ones you find in the first 3 acts in Normal) can spawn with 4 sockets. Your ideal shield would be however, a 40+ resist Sacred Targe, as it highest base block of all your paladin shields. Failing that, a Sacred Rondache would serve you well too. Their strength req are a tad bit high though. Sacred targe needs 86 strength and Sacred needs 109

Like I said though, any paladin shield will do, so feel free to make a spirit out of the first 4 socket paladin shield you find. But do keep an eye out for those mentioned shields, they make the best spirits.

18. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

You are incorrect chenw. Pskulls can be used in rerolling.

also note that spirit cannot be made in Non-Ladder

19. chenw

chenw IncGamers Member

My bad, complete oversight that he is NL... Spirit is quite a bit more expensive on NL than it is on Ladder in that case :p