Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newcomer asking for advice

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Koyen, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Koyen

Koyen IncGamers Member

Newcomer asking for advice

Good evening, guys.

I'm set on starting a hardcore hammerdin after a couple of years break from Diablo. Never played this class and don't remember much about game mechanics, so it looks like an intresting challenge and would satisfy my nostalgy :)

After quite a bit of research on forums, calculators, guides and such i finalized equipment choices and simulated it on single player with Atma, which in result created a couple of question due to the feeling that i keep missing something important.

Fot example's sake my paladin is at level 80 wearing:

Helm - Shako
    Amulet - Mara
    Rings - 2 SoJ
    Weapon - HotO // CtA
    Shield - Max resist Spirit sacred rondache // Spirit
    Armor - Enigma Archon plate
    Gloves - Trang Claw
    Boots - Wartraveler
    Belt - Arachnid mesh
    Charms - Enough to hit 125% FCR and 86% FHR breakpoints

Question 1: If my calculations correct i don't need anything commited to strenght at all. I could wear 85 strength worth of charms, then put on my gear and remove almost all charms due to bonuses from Enigma, Travelers, Mara and Shako. Where am i wrong about it?

Question 2: It's enough to have 35 basic dexterity to get 75% block chance (max possible) with Spirit sacred rondache. Gear gives me +17 and after applying self-BO and level 18 holy shield (+14 from gear) my rondache shows 75% during simulation. Is this assumption correct or am i missing something?

Question 3: Even with level 34 Concentration hammer damage shows as 9500-9600 (with maxed Blessed Aim and Vigor). What do i miss besides additional skill charms?

Question 4: If i don't commit anything to energy even with self-BO and such an extraodinary gear i have only 560 mana. What can i do about it besides adding mana charmes?

Thank you all for time invested into helping my poor paladin soul :jig:

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: Newcomer asking for advice

Off-question answer: charms do not provide FCR, so you need to get it directly from gear. HotO + Spirit + Arach + Trang provide 105 FCR, so you might consider switching out rings for 10FCR / xx Mana rings or something.

Answer 1: You can actually build an Enigma in something that requires even less strength to wear than an AP. A Dusk Shroud is a good choice, requiring only 77 strength to wear. Assuming you buy a low-mid pala Torch (Let's take a +13 one) and a low-mid Annihulus (+12 one, just to keep things simple), you get +25 just from those (you can actually get up to +40, but that's EXPENSIVE). With base 25 and 5 from Mara, you will get 55 already. Invest enough points to get to wear the Dusk Enigma, and you have enough strength for all other gear. Do not bother with +strength charms. Also, don't forget that rare FCR rings may have some hefty Strength bonuses as well!

Answer 2: Which level did you test your block% at? You may not need much, but just make sure that you didn't do anything wrong.

Answer 3: Skillers is where it's at. 9 Pala Combat skillers will add a few thousand damage on their own.

Answer 4: Use an Act 2 mercenary with Insight. Mana problems solved.

3. Koyen

Koyen IncGamers Member

Thanks for answer :)

I tested block on level 80. Can't seem to find decent block calculator, so after reading your post i rechecked simulation. Indeed for some weird reason it shows 75% block chance for sacred rondache with less than 50 base dexterity after holy shield. Seems strange as i remember investing a lot of dex into sorceress to acquire maximum back when i played.

Thanks for FCR tip. Although dropping SoJes brings me close to a mental breakdown, at least now i'm going to go through forum again with concentrated effort to see how others have solved this problem.

Strenght advice is great. I'm going to plan build around Dusk shround. Defence difference isn't that huge, but this way i could spend more into vitality. Can't have enough life for hardcore :)

4. ProfessionalBerg

Block calculator here:

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/block.php

It's in German, but self-exaplanatory:

First is total block (shield block + Holy Shield block + eventual block items, like Guardian Angel, Twitchthroe or Safety Amulet).

Second is your total dexterity.

Third is your character level.

I suggest testing at level 90, because it's really not that hard to reach it, especially with a Hammerdin who can do Baalruns so easily.

5. Koyen

Koyen IncGamers Member

Now...this makes a whole lot more sense. According to this calculator i need a total of 162 dexterity to achive 75% block with mentioned above gear and level 18 holy shield.

Thank you very much for clearing that out :thumbsup:

6. Copilot

Copilot IncGamers Member

You should have a much higher level than 18 of holy shield, especially after +skills.

7. prion

prion IncGamers Member

hammers cost like 7 or 8 mana to cast once maxed, you can kill a group of monsters and then redeem them, insight not required. tho it is pretty much required for teleporting.

8. Koyen

Koyen IncGamers Member

Thanks, guys

9. sweetalmonds

sweetalmonds IncGamers Member

1. Use a nigma that don't require any strength investment to wear.
    2. Berg.
    3. I think thats enough damage so fill inventory up with life and resist charms because you're playing hardcore.
    4. redemption or insight merc or just mana pot they drop everywhere cheap to buy.

10. Koyen

Koyen IncGamers Member

Found a bit of a mistake here after some research :) This setup provides 115 FCR so i'd need to switch only single SoJ for a 10% FCR + mods ring :)

11. ProfessionalBerg

Ahaha... Sorry, you are right. Trang's/Mages + Arach + HotO = 80 + Spirit = 115.