Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newbie to pvp, looking for some opinions on getting started

Discussion in 'PvP' started by NSXdreamer, Apr 1, 2005.

1. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Newbie to pvp, looking for some opinions on getting started

So I thought I might as well start a pvp char to play around with friends, though I've never pvp'ed before.

I think I'll start with the easy route, with a ww barb first. Here is what I'm thinking on skill/item, please tell me what do you think of it:

Skill is basically 20 in ww, axe mastery, shout and BO. One point in other obligatory skills such as nature resist, increase speed.

Items are angelic ring/amulet, botd zerk axe, arreat's face, coh, steelrend, stormshield, ravenfrost, SoE, and gore. Belt may be swapped to trang's belt (in conjunction with dwarfstar for ravenfrost)/thundergod's depends on the char I'm dealing with.

A couple of questions, how important is faster run/walk? Is there is guide thread on tactics? I looked through the forum but didn't find any.

Keep in mind that it will be played under somewhat strict rules such as no non-class skills, charged or oskill. Poison charm limited. No chance to cast items etc.

2. parkerbsb

parkerbsb IncGamers Member

3. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Thanks for the link. The thing is all those threads are calling teleport/dracule's required items, which I won't be allowed to use.

4. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Most if not all of the pvp guides are geared towards b.net, and I believe that you're looking to duel in SP, which is good since all my pvp experience is in SP too.

For your equipment:
    If you're going the max block route with stormshield, I would dump the CoH for an eth Stone with close to 3k defense. Besides being used for warcry prebuff, CoH is lacking in the things that a melee pvp'er needs (defense, pdr, life). It has resists, but stick an um/resist jewel in the arreat's, and with the anya quests and natural resist, you should be able to hit 75 resist all in nightmare.

Use Drac's instead of Steelrends and Verdungos in place of SoE. CtC doesn't work with whirlwind so the lifetap isn't an issue with drac's, and life leech is virtually nonexistent in pvp, therefore no reason to use an SoE over dungos.

For frw, use the minimum amount you need to catch casters. No teleport means you'll have to chase down casters on foot so you'll want a fair bit of frw for that, but don't get too much. How fast your WW moves across the ground is related to your frw, and your WW gets harder to control as it moves faster.

5. parkerbsb

True, but there's alot of info about namelocking, and whirls

Ie: triangle whirls kill better, and if you have high FRW then you hit less per whirl (as you move faster and therefore out of range sooner).
    Assuming CH rules (no teleport at all?) etc there is MUCH better gear than a enigma anyways.

6. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

Why would you ever need to namelock someone with a barb if you're not tele'ing?

7. parkerbsb

Heh hence why I said I was hoping someone with better knowledge of non-casters would help out. I would think if he decided to go with leap, namelock would help out some tho?!?

8. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

When a BvC barb uses leap, he doesn't actually leap onto the person, he leaps in place and a high level leap stuns and knocks back everything on the screen, giving a the barb a chance to close the distance with either teleport, or just by running. It's a moot point because from what nsx is saying, it seems like he's making a BvB barb who would have a very low level leap, which would be ineffective for this tactic.

9. parkerbsb

I was thinking that short hops were common, but I figured w/o teleport maybe leaping at them would be more effective than running (so short hop, then when they are stunned leap at them... the 2nd stun should allow for a whirl)

Agreed that this is moot, but a worthy discussion all the same