Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

newbie set drop question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bloodshed, Feb 19, 2018.

1. bloodshed

bloodshed Diabloii.Net Member

hi guys, first post, first playthrough.

im a lvl 12 dual axe wielding barbarian doing my first single player playthrough of diablo 2.
    im currently at act 1, forgotten tower and i just had a cleglaw's claw (shield) drop.

what should i do with this? keep it in inventory? keep it in stash? sell it?

T72on1 likes this.
  2. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

It's not very useful, but if you're interesting in collecting items and using an outside program for muling (it's very convenient and powerful) I would use gomule. Then you can keep 1+ of everything possibly useful/interesting.

T72on1 likes this.
  3. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Hi bloodshed, welcome to the forum. Have a read of the rules and links.

Like pharphis said, you will find GoMule there - Personally I would download it, make a stash and put it in there.

4. bloodshed

great. gomule corrupted my save file while i only moved the shield back and forth, putting it back in its original position, saving and exiting.
    had to open my save using <banned mod> for it to remove the corrupted shield, now its gone.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2018
  5. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

GoMule should save backups by default in your save folder.

6. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

I've never used GoMule as I used Atma before GoMule exisited. I haven't heard of corruptions like that though. That sounds very odd. That other program use mentioned isn't allowed here, or to be talked about.

7. bloodshed

ah, i thought i only saw .d2x backup files. must be blind.
    its restored now, all clean and no hacky hacky.
    really wished they had just added a big bank instead of that small stash.

8. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

Hi bloodshed, welcome to the SPF!
    On your first playthrough, the Cleglaw's Shield might be helpful early on if you can find another piece of the set. I know you're a dual-wielding Axe barb, so it may not be useful to your barb, but worth keeping, especially if you want to try it on another character.

As said, certain programs aren't allowed to be mentioned on the forums, as they constitute hacks. We do have some mods/programs allowed, but all the details can be found in the stickies. Feel free to use what you'd like on your PC, but they may exclude you from MP and trading on these forums.
    As to gomule corrupting the character, that's reasonably unlikely. Almost everyone on the forums here uses it, for many years, and never had corruption issues. Not sure what your issue could be though.

Again welcome, feel free to ask questions, drop by the EMB for a drink and some general chat, and may all your drops be green and golden.

9. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

The Cleglaw items drop very often, so if this is your first playtrough I would just sell it :)

Regarding GoMule, I always have GoMule shut down when the game is open, and the game shut down when GoMule is open.

10. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

I’ve been using GoMule for almost a year after never having used it before, and have not had any problems. If you are using patch 1.14 you may have to do a little extra work to get everything ironed out because of a few changes in that patch to the save path.

I also keep GoMule closed while paying D2. I usually wait until I shut down D2 to do my muling unless it has been an exceptionally good session for drops. As for Clegaws shield, it may be useful at some point, but you might not find another piece of it for awhile. By then you will probably find something better. Of course it’s worth keeping if you plan on completing the grail of items.

Have fun with your first character and may the demons coax you into more.

11. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

@Everyone Can we please use the report post button?

@bloodshed You have mail.

drmalawi and krischan like this.
  12. bloodshed

seems i should give gomule another shot. maybe the install path corrupted it since that seems to give certain known issues. game and gomule are now on another disk than C, hope it keeps working like it should now.

after all that trouble, i got another cleglaw's claw drop today so i guess it really is that common.
    i also got a normal unique dagger (gull) with 100% magic find on it (totalling 140% now) while doing a couple of runs of tristam, how cool is that. think im a bit overleveled now. anyways, question got answered. thanks for the help and the warm welcome guys^.^

13. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

You could play around with a drop calculator too see how rare/common items are :) I can recomend silospen's drop calculator

Nice to find Gull! As you are playing barb, invest a few points into "Find item" and use Gull on the weapon switch while you are casting "Find item" on the corpses :) It is always a good idea to overlevel and do some magic finding in the beginning.

Have fun with the barb! :D

pharphis likes this.
  14. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, welcome. Your first experience is a good one normally, enjoy the journey. Before you know it, you'll have seen everything and coming up with fun ways to not get bored. This part lasts from 1 to 20 years ;)

pharphis likes this.