Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newbie here! Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Gavindale Marchovia, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Gavindale Marchovia

Gavindale Marchovia IncGamers Member

Hey guys, a newbie to Diablo 3 here! Can anyone give me any suggestions about the game that could help me dive right in? I have played Diablo II but I have heard great things about Diablo 3, and want to join in on the action!

2. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

The single most important tip for playing D3 I can give you is that the first thing you must do when you start the game is go into Options > Gameplay and tick enable elective mode and advanced tooltips. Without elective mode you are restricted to one skill from each category, and the default tooltips are useless.

3. Gavindale Marchovia

Thanks so much!

4. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

also play through the story once. Then go to Adventure mode. It's worth getting a taste of what they intended the story to be but you only need to hear/see it once.

what class do you intend to play first?

5. Gavindale Marchovia

whats the difference between story mode and adventure mode? And I haven't started the game yet, so I don't know what the classes are. But I plan on getting into it probably tonight or tomorrow.

6. Mage Slayer

In story mode you play through the story/quests in a linear fashion. Adventure mode offers bounties (random quests), nephalem rifts (random dungeons) and greater rifts (timed random dungeons with infinite difficulty scaling). You'll end up spending most of your time in Adventure, but you'll need to play through the full story once to unlock Adventure mode in non-season.

7. Gavindale Marchovia

Thanks for the heads up, Mage Slayer - much appreciated! So, Adventure mode is a version upon which everything is random.... are you saying that Story mode is not random?

8. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

Be very conservative with all ressources, you're gathering, until you hit 70 and got your first above average drops. Else you're bound to run behind the curve at that point for a while. And leveling is going by too fast, to justify using up your ressources to always have the best available gear on character. (Getting the first half-decent gear setup early on, is imho the only exception.)

Also: As a D2 veteran you should raise difficulty two or three notches from the getgo.

9. Mage Slayer

Some maps have random layouts, some don't. That's true of both modes. What I mean is that in story mode, you complete one quest, then the next in a set order (there are random optional events you'll encounter as well). But in adventure mode you'll be given bounties - five unrelated quests per act chosen from dozens of possibilities. Rifts are more random than the normal maps - i.e. not only is the layout randomized, but so are the types of monster you'll find on it, the weather, the music, etc.

10. Gavindale Marchovia

I seem to remember from Diablo II that weapons/equipment/etc are color coded, like this:

white = normal, gray = socketed or ethereal, blue = magic, yellow = rare, gold = unique, green = set.

Is it the same way in Diablo 3? And what about inventory charms? Are they included in Diablo 3 as well?

11. Gavindale Marchovia

If I unlock more difficulty settings when the story mode is complete, does that count for any other characters I might make? I mean, if I make a witch doctor and complete the story portion of the game, will I be able to use that newly unlocked difficulty setting when I make a new character?

12. Mage Slayer

The colour code is similar. Uniques are called legendaries now and are orange coloured. At level 70 on torment difficulties you can also get ancient legendaries and sets. These are the same colour as normal but have a gold border on the tooltip. Ancients roll higher values for many affixes. There are no ethereal items and sockets are now only available as a magic property, not an item type.

There are no charms in D3.

Unlocking difficulties definitely counts for other characters in the same game mode. I can't remember if you have to unlock them separately in hardcore or not.