Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newbie :D/Help with starting character please?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Mrpwn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Mrpwn

Mrpwn IncGamers Member

Newbie :D/Help with starting character please?

Hello SPF!

New member here :D. I just finished installing D2LOD and found out my Bnet acccounts got errased so now I'm sticking to playing SP lan with my bro :thumbup:

I seriously need of your help! I can't decide on what character to choose. I need something that can solo all modes and can also MF. I was thinking hammerdin? potion find barb? Orb sorc? Help me out please!

2. Tanksaabas

Tanksaabas IncGamers Member

Re: Newbie :D/Help with starting character please?

Hi and welcome to the forums , read the stickies etc etc as they hold a lot of info. For your convenience here's the Beginner's Guide to Build Selection done by Mursilis. This lists the most basic character builds. Also consider browsing the mat/pat/guardian thread , it has a lot of characters there (many of them are twinked tho) and shows the gear selection plus most of them have some tips or write ups what people think of the build and how it worked for them. It can answer a lot of questions.

3. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Well, I expect you will get the standard replies:

"Check the Mat/Pat Thread"

"Fishymancer, MeteOrb, Trapsin"

But... I will suggest something different - load up a prior patch and make a character with a completely different build than the current stable.

In 1.07, Amp, Decrep, Lower Resists, Conviction, and Cold Mastery all work 100% effective against immunes, so I think any and all immunities can be broken. Static has no limiting cap. Some items from this patch, if brought forward, are extremely useful/valuable (ethereal socketed, certain Sets/Uniques)

In 1.09, some skills are way overpowered - Barb and Assassin Masteries have a 100% Critical Strike, so a single point doubles the damage. Guided Arrows pierce, so a Buriza Zon can mow down bosses QUICK. A Rogue Merc will shoot a lightning bolt instead of a regular arrow if she has +3 skills on her gear.

In 1.10s, some runewords are more powerful (for the same runes) than final 1.10 and subsequent: If you have an Um, you can make beta Crescent Moon with higher damage range and much higher chance to cast Static, and if you rush the Hellforge to cube to Ohm, you can make beta Call to Arms, with +2 skills and much higher range of warcry levels.

My suggestion (take it with whatever amount of salt you deem appropriate) is to try out some old patches, and bring that wealth forward to the current patch. It's not what everybody does, but I've had fun with it so far.

4. Mrpwn

Mrpwn IncGamers Member

@Tanksaabas Thanks a lot now I have a good Idea of what character to choose

@RobbyD: mmmm very interesting. I guess I could build up my Hammerdin with the old patches. I currently have v1.13. Do I have to downpatch?

5. Mrpwn

Mrpwn IncGamers Member

And what character do you recomend? I guess for the 1.13 patch :S

6. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

If you have the 1.07 install discs, you can just rename your current "Diablo II" directory "Diablo II 1.13" and make a clean install that should be 1.07. If you want 1.09 or 1.10s, you can install that patch (info on "Time Traveling", as it's called, can be found in response #5 of the SPF FAQ & RULES.

If you have multiple patches, you play the patch you want by renaming that directory "Diablo II", as that is the directory name the the game defaults to. So, for instance, you might have "Diablo II 1.07", "Diablo II 1.09", "Diablo II 1.10s" and "Diablo II 1.13" in your program files, so if you want to play 1.13, just rename that directory "Diablo II" - the default directory name, and that's the install that the game will play.

There are other, more sophisticated ways to do it... I just never figured it out - this method works for me.

To let you know what I've done, I've decided to Mat/Pat all 7 character types in 1.09 (working on #6, a Necro). In the meantime, I've collected runes up to Gul, an plenty of set/unique items to twink up my 1.13 builds when I'm ready to start. I've also got some builds up to collecting HF runes in 1.10s and plenty of base weapons to make those runewords.

One thing to look for is the Raven Claw unique Long Bow. When converted from 1.07 or 1.09 to 1.10 or subsequent, it gets bugged to be way overpowered, dealing out level 30 or 33 exploding arrows. This is a very popular item for helping characters through the early game in current patches.

*****THE FOLLOWING BUILDS ARE FOR 1.13, NOT 1.09*****

That being said, for the current patch (from my understanding, since I have not done a character in this patch), nothing beats a Fishymancer (Summoning Necromancer built to Nightfish's fantastic guide) for starting out, learning the game, and collecting gear, runes, charms, etc. It's very safe to play, doesn't require a lot of gear, and can be used for Magic Finding to gear up other characters.

Other builds (MeteOrb or Blizzar Sorcress) are popular for running bosses since they kill so effectively, but they are a lot more fragile than a Fishymancer. A Hammerdin requires some of that aforementioned gear to really be effective, and the current patch has nerfed that build (no longer ignores magic resistance of monsters), so it's not the uber character it once was.

***EDIT***

One more thing to recommed the Fishymancer for a starting build is that it gets very strong very early if you follow Nightfish's guide since the RS and SM skills are level 1 skills (I have been working on one on BNet). This makes it much easier to start with than the Sorc, since all of her really good skills don't become available until later levels. It's also very easy to shop or find wands with nice boosts to these skills early in the game.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  7. Mrpwn

Mrpwn IncGamers Member

@RobbyD: Ok I'm at patch 1.09! soo... Use Necro? I'm not experienced with them. I had experience with sorc but I don't really remember that much.

What do you suggest I be?

8. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I wouldn't recommend a Necromancer in 1.09. They were substantially beefed up with the 1.10 release. I'd probably recommend a sorceress - without synergies to worry about, you can make a tri-elementalist, and always have at least one attack that will take out any monster. (Some have dual immunities.)

If you find a Buriza Do-Kyanon (aka 'Burrito Cannon"), you can make a multishot amazon - one of the highly successful 1.09 builds that used to rule the Hell Cow level, the primary levelling and magic finding area in the release.

Best of luck to you, however you end up!

9. Mrpwn

Mrpwn IncGamers Member

How about a Meteorb sorc?

10. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

A meteorb would work great, just keep in mind that you don't need synergies. Frozen Orb destroys Nightmare, and is still effective in Hell. If I recall correctly, Cold Mastery breaks cold immunities in 1.09. :thumbsup:

11. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Oh, wait... I thought you were asking about s 1.13 build. For 1.09, a Necro is the most challenging character, NOT a starter. For 1.09, I'd go with a hybrid jav/bow amazon, but a frenzy/ww barb would also fare well, and a pure MeteOrb built to Sasja's guide beats the game and does well too... and thats not even considering that since pumped fireball doesn't do you any good, you can pump a lightning skill and go tri elemental.

A claw MA sin with PS is supposed to be strong as well, but I haven't tried a Sin yet.

A barb makes an awesome Mephy runner since act bosses leech in 1.09.

@Noodle... you are right about orb's power, but CM does NOT break CI in 1.09... you are thinking of 1.07.

*****EDIT*****

Let me elaborate on my character selection - I like the Zon over the Sorc for a couple of reasons.

1. A hybrid Zon can dish out 5 KINDS OF DAMAGE (Physical from pumped Strafe or Guided Arrow, Fire from bugged Fire Arrow skill, cold from Freezing Arrow, and Poison or Ligntning from Jav skills)
    2. A Zon has 2 potential summons to help tank, built-in blocking (D/A/E), and better return on vitality points, so she's much more durable
    3. A Zon can use 3 powerful imbalances (one a bug, one a feature, one appears to be an oversight) of 1.09 - bugged Fire Arrow (converts 50% of physical damage to fire damage), piercing GA (very, very nice for bosses), and the 1.07-style stacking of poison damage on bows (I'm not absolutely sure about this one, but apparently, in 1.09, poison damage, when derived from multiple emeralds, jewels of envy, or tal runes in a ranged weapon, the poison damage increases much more than it does for melee weapons - this was how poison damage stacked in 1.07). The poison thing can be exploited to ease the early game, if you get some emeralds or jewels of envy in a 3 socket Hunter's Bow with some multi-shot, it should let you clear screens nicely.

The Zon I made was a Multi-Shot/Guided Arrow/Freezing Arrow tank with maxed Valk and pumped D/A/E and destroys almost any part of the game. Her only problem are PI/FI/CE bosses (like when Lister spawns PI), so if I were to do her again, I would make her a hybrid and pump Charged Strike as a PI/FI/CE solution to make her capable of mowing down ANY monster.

Now, a Barb is also a good option, obviously a tank, and benefits from several things:

1. Bugged Masteries (automatic critical strike) make him very strong early on with any melee weapon at the cost of 3 measly points, 1 in each of Axe, Mace, and Sword Mastery.
    2. The Eth rune bug means he won't need serious help to hit things if an Eth rune is in the weapon.
    3. A Barb can be a serious MF Mephy running maching. The ability to switch to dual Ali Babas for the kill is just sick, and since Bosses leech, he can tank any boss. Plus he horks. MUCH easier to pile MF gear on than a Zon.
    4. You can make his end-game weapons with the 3-chip sword recipe - you just have to shop until you find a Champion Sword, Mythical Sword, or Colossus Sword or Blade, and farm chippes to get an end-game weapon that matches any unique or set. The fact that the recipe always give you 3 sockets gives you room for an Eth (auto hit), Shael, and Amn.
    5. Obviously pumping BO makes him and his merc much tougher - however, BO doesn't FILL the bulb in 1.09, just increases the capacity, so you have to leech it up, hit a shrine, or drink a potion.
    6. Berzerk is basically a universal PI solution.

That being said, the Sorc can do mighty well herself, but she requires a very different style and is hard to make really durable. However, Frozen Orb works better than in later patches (send it THROUGH the monster for best effect), and there is a bug where, in high "playersx" games, static isn't capped for some bosses (including Mephy, Thresh Socket, and Snapchip Shatter).

That being said, I had Harlequin Crest, Occy, Stormshield, 2 SoJs, etc. as well as massive twinking gear all available for this character, so I can't really speak to what a Sorc would be like untwinked.

If you're interested in more thoughts on 1.09, check out my guide and my blog.

12. Mrpwn

Mrpwn IncGamers Member

Wow I love you man

13. Mrpwn

Mrpwn IncGamers Member

Oh and One question. Are Purple name colored charms normal?

14. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I'm not sure what you're asking - can you post a screenie of what you're talking about?

What character did you start?

15. Mrpwn

Mrpwn IncGamers Member

Just went back to see the charms. they where blue. I think it was bugged?

Thing is that their name color was purple!

Hey I'm looking for an MF barb 1.09 guide right now I found one that Flux made but it's incomplete :S. Do you have one that you could share with me?

16. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I've not encountered any purple-named charms - always blue. Are you running some sort of color mod?

Anyway, I would go with a Frenzy Barb - my original character was a Frenzy barb, and ended up being an outstanding MF runner to outfit my other characters.

Flux likes WW, but I like Frenzy because the increased speed will transfer to a weapon-switch 2H weapon for very fast Zerk pwnage (good for early Meph running).

I refer you to my Barb Pat thread, and also the MF section of the 1.09 guide. I can give you some tips from my experience as well.

Early Game
    1. 1 point in each of Axe, Mace, and Sword mastery ASAP to double all damage! Don't put any more until you've decided on your endgame weapon though.
    2. Shop a 3os Bow and pop 3 chipped emeralds in it for your A1 Merc.
    3. If you feel up to it, you might want to run Coldcrow for a Gull dagger, and Countess for Death's Gloves and Sash - the Death's 2-piece is unbelievable for melee builds.
    4. Get an Act2 Defiance Merc as soon as you can - you can use the Savage Polearm recipe to get him a nice weapon early on.

Mid Game
    5. Get some source of life leech and TANK ALL ACT BOSSES. This is where a lot of my struggles came - I kept running around and struggling agains bosses I was nervous about, but the Barb especially just needs to go mano-e-mano against the likes of Duriel (popping potions as needed). In NM and Hell, if you tank Diablo, his pink lightning WILL NOT HIT YOU... but his fire carpet will, so you NEED some MDR and Fire Resists for that.
    6. Run NM Countess and Mephisto for items to help you with Hell - NM Countess is capable for providing up to Io, so you can make Honor or Black, which should help a lot. Both Countess and Mephy can also drop Bloodletter (unique Gladius), which is an awesome NM level weapon.

End Game
    7. You can make your own end-game weapons if you get to Hell Act 3 and shop a Champion Sword (1.09 shops in Act1 and Act2, for some reason, never produce anything over normal weapons, but in Act3 you can get all three levels). Use the 3 chipped gems + sword recipe with that until you roll Grandmasters or (preferably) Cruel - you might even get a nice suffix with it, but once you roll cruel, keep it. You have 3 sockets - Amn, Shael, and Eth (for bugged defense removal) are all great options for that. Very versatile - 1H wield it for Frenzy, or keep it on 2H switch for Frenzy-accelerated Berzerk for Hell Mephy running.
    8. See my guide for Barb Mephy running - once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake once you roll a good map. The Natural Resists skill makes it much easier to load him with MF and still be durable.

Skills:

No synergies, so focus on skills that you will directly use. That means only 1 point in such things as Bash, Double Swing, etc. Here's what I suggets:

Masteries:
    Axe, Mace, Sword: 1 (20) - 1 in each until you find your endgame weapon, then max.
    Increased Stamina: 1
    Increased Speed: 1
    Iron Skin: 1
    Natural Resists: ~5 (depending on needs)

Warcries:
    Shout: 20 (If I had to do it again, I'd pump Shout instead of IS due to the longer duration and benefit to the Merc)
    Battle Orders: 20 (of course)
    Battle Cry: 1+ (always cast this against bosses)
    War Cry: you might try this, but I found it more of a problem than a help - yeah it stuns the monsters, but then they all come out of it at the same time and the attacks come all at once. That's not good when you're surrounded by bad guys.
    Battle Command: 1 (always cast this first before your other warcries)

Combat Skills:
    Leap, Leap Attack: 1 (you must use Leap Attack to jump Mephy's Moat)
    Frenzy: 20
    Berzerk: ~5+ (I suggest pumping somewhat this for the reduced 0 resist recovery time)

Gear:
    You need as much life leech as possible, and some source of mana leech. Ammys and rings don't get dual leech in 1.09, but circlets and gloves do. You also want IAS. Since you are going untwinked, make sure to pick up socketed items:

2os high def armor - for "Smoke", which will help with the Hell resists penalty.
    4os armor - for pTopazes... Mephy running until you get something better
    3os armor - for Lionheart if you like that better than Smoke, or Wealth as a better MF armor

5 os Knout, Zweihander, or Twin Axe - for Honor... Knout and Zweihander are superior options, since they are faster and more durable than a Twin Axe. Honor is an excellen questing weapon if you have a fast base weapon.

3 os Knout or Tyrant Club - very good base for Black, which I don't recommend for questing, but I DO recommend for Mephy running (CB FTW).

Pick up all charms and look for resists, MF, Vita, etc.