Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Newbie Cruel Bow Questions

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Ruick, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Ruick

Ruick IncGamers Member

Newbie Cruel Bow Questions

I'm fairly new to d2, and amazons but i have a few questions about the Cruel Bows. All the guides just talk about which ones are the Best. ok, all i know is that there rare merchant bought bows with alot of dmg but no stats - correct? Are they worth it? Because i'm pretty sure windforce is still better. And how hard are they to get? If someone can explain abit about cruel bows in general, that would be great - thanks in advance.

2. Ruick

Ruick IncGamers Member

Anyone? Just a quick answer would be nice.

3. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Cruel bows are magical bows with up to 300% enhanced damage and possibly a useful second modifier (+max damage and ias are the most popular). They won't have the damage of wf, but they are potentially much faster, like a Matriarchal Bow with a speed of [-10] and potentially +3 bow skills. That makes them better for the speedazon builds than wf. In the new patch these bows are less sought after, because amazons are less powerful so amazon items are less popular, exceptional unique bows can now be upgraded to elite (on ladder and single player) and because the cruel prefix can appear on rare bows, making them the new hot bows. A cruel, rare Matriarchal bow has potentially the best stats of any bow in the game. But they are, needless to say, insanely rare. Summa summarum, an ordinary, magical cruel elite bow is still a good bow. Some of the uniques are better. Cruel rare elite bows are potentially better than any of those.

4. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Magical bows can of course be re-rolled using the new chip and flawless gem recipes. That could be a good way to get the cruel plus other mod you want and 2 sockets. My old 1.09 Amazon is still using a re-rolled Grand Matron 273% cruel with 2 sockets (I had to use a quest for those then).

5. Ruick

Ruick IncGamers Member

6. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

I think you can use both recipes on the same item as long as it has a good initial ilvl - use magical items from areas with a level of 85. I am doing that at present to re-roll War Pikes for my mercs.
    So both these should work.

3 Chipped Gems + 1 Magic Weapon = Socketed Magic Weapon

3 Flawless Gems + 1 Magic Weapon = Socketed Magic Weapon
    Good luck with the re-rolls

7. Ruick

Ruick IncGamers Member

Great thanks again heh.

8. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

imo any of the 5 recipies (6 skull, 3 skull soj, 3 chip, 3 perf or 3 flawless) just dont pay off often enough and can potentially burn away your mules if you get carried away. id save up for a nice runeword. hoj is my favorite with blind, freeze and itd. but cta has pmh (although lower dmg and no bowzon needs bo)

9. Boooyakasha

Boooyakasha IncGamers Member

The great things about buying from merchant is the easiness. You just need to run in and out of town to look for it, or go check the merchant everytime you get back to town while you MFing or Exping.

Giving some patient it is not hard to shop a Cruel bow, compare to the chances of getting a WF and a nice rare Bow.